1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Home] Security Cameras - Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Parents want to install a couple of cameras for security. They want to be able to monitor via internet.

I have no idea how much decent cameras cost...would it be possible to keep it around 250-400?

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Call my brother, he does this for a living. He can hook you up 281-986-7681 his name is jay

3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

What about Nest Dropcam?

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

For that price range, yes it can be done a couple ways.

First understand there are CCTV systems and IP based systems. CCTV is lower resolution while IP can give you true HD. There is a significant difference and I recommend the IP based system.

CCTV will get you a full package, however you will sacrifice quality (both video and equipment). The DVR will be a a very low end and cumbersome to use.

You can also do IP based for that price range, however you will need to provide a computer that will always be on. Ubiquity provides the NVR software for free. Cameras are about $100.00 a piece plus the purchase of Cat5e. You can also purchase Blue Iris NVR software and buy any IP camera that it support (Blue Iris support a wide variety of cameras). Again, that will run you about $100.00 a cam plus Cat5e.

If you need a full IP based system (ie: you dont have a always on computer), those full packages get into the several hundred dollar range.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

definitely want IP cameras.

Is dropcam still good? I keep reading how it's gone to crap since google bought them.

I don't need a lot of cameras..just 2-3 at the most for now. what they need is to be able to view videos/images remotely.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're looking at $200.00 a cam plus CVR fees, which can run $300.00 a year.

I recommend hard wired systems over wireless. They are more economical and you do not have to worry about them dropping out.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I have dropcams - nestcam at my place and a bunch of business locations. Does exactly what you want and below $200 I think. So easy to use.

9. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Be careful with buying them from Amazon; lots of fake reviews to boost security cams.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Dropcam is going to be the easiest set it and forget it solution.

12. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I have them for almost a year. The only problem is that you will have to switch out the batteries every 2 to 3 months. Don't used rechargable batteries they have a shorter shelf life.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Had a Dropcam at a previous apartment after there were a few break-ins and loved it...until it just flat out stopped connecting to our wifi. I don't know if it was something to do with our router, ISP, or the dropcam, but we didn't really need it anymore so just took it down. I haven't tried it at our new place.

I'd still recommend it based on the features (email or app alerts for noise/motion was really nice, login online or via the app instantly to view, etc.) because I think whatever technical issue I had was probably an isolated incident. The only downside is it would get costly to add more than 1 or 2.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

does dropcam support multiple cameras?

say 1 at the rear entry and another at the front?

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Arlo is great for people who want a quick and easy set up. Wireless, and the cameras operate by batteries. You have to change the batteries once and a while but it's great.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yup. You just sync to your online profile/app.