1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Run Derby

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tierre_brown, Jul 15, 2003.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Just wondering if everyone saw it tonight. That was one nasty performance by Pujols, coming up 1 short in the end. I think that clash between him and Giambi should be a classic, a battle of pure power and will. 14 HRs by Pujols in that one round, AMAZING. I think this was one of the best HR derbys I've seen. As much as I hate the Cards, I love Pujols. He's going to be a great player, possibly a Triple Crown candidate in the years to come.

2. BALLhog 247 365

im glad pujols lost. i dont like him. he likes to his against us.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man when Pujols' contract is up what type of deal will he get? If you compare his stats to Arod's at the same age its not even close. He may be the first 300 million dollar player:eek:

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's not funny.

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lil Francis

"Man when Pujols' contract is up what type of deal will he get? If you compare his stats to Arod's at the same age its not even close. He may be the first 300 million dollar player "

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5275

A-Rod in 1996, when he just turned 21 after the All-Star break, he hit .356 avg, 36 hr, 123 rbi's, and 54 doubles.

A-Rod in 1998, when he turned 23 after the All-Star break, he hit .310 avg, 42 hr's, 124 rbi's, 35 doubles, and 46 sb's.

Combine all of that with the fact that he is a top 5 defensive SS, at one of the most critical positions of the game, and it's Albert Pujol's that doesn't compare the A-Rod.

6. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I thought this home run derby was going to suck without Sammy Sosa. But I ended up liking it.

7. Major

Major Member

A-Rod in 1996, when he just turned 21 after the All-Star break, he hit .356 avg, 36 hr, 123 rbi's, and 54 doubles.

A-Rod in 1998, when he turned 23 after the All-Star break, he hit .310 avg, 42 hr's, 124 rbi's, 35 doubles, and 46 sb's.

Combine all of that with the fact that he is a top 5 defensive SS, at one of the most critical positions of the game, and it's Albert Pujol's that doesn't compare the A-Rod.

Huh? Why would you post one guy's stats and then say the other guy doesn't compare without posting his stats?

Pujols, at age 21, hit .329, 37 HR, 130 RBI

Pujols, at age 23 (now), is hitting .368, 27 HR, 86 RBI

Statistically, Pujols' seasons are better assuming he holds up his current pace this year. Plus, A-Rod had more MLB experience at that point in his career as well. Pujols has better career batting average, slugging, on-base %, and OPS - the only things he doesn't do better are defense & steals. How does that not compare to A-Rod?

Also, why would you list their 21yr old and 23yr old seasons without mentioning when they were 22?

A-Rod: .300, 23HR, 84RBI (141 games)
    Pujols: .314, 34HR, 127RBI

Hmm.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It pains me to say it...because i freaking hate the Cards...but Pujols is easily the best player in the game today.

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What? It wasn't suppose to be funny. Im just stating the facts. Pujols will break the bank when his contract is up.

10. Da Man

Supporting Member

The basis for my post is that it was a retort against the argument that when comparing A-Rod and Pujols at the same age, Pujols is the much better player.

I don't think that's the case. A-Rod was robbed in the MVP voting in 1996 by Juan Gonzalez, which is the closest vote in MLB history. To finish 2nd in the MVP voting in his first full season in the league proves that A-Rod actually fares pretty well when compared to Pujols at the same age.

Okay, A-Rod did have a 196 AB's before the 1996 season. I don't think 196 AB's is going to give him even a marginal advantage over Pujols.

I can't take anything away from Pujols. He's a remarkable player. He's the equivalent of a 1990's version of Frank Thomas (minus the mega OBP). Both guys who came in the league and started just mashing on another level from day 1. Pujols is a versatile fielder. But he's average to above average at all positions.

A-Rod to me is the best player in the game today(or at least a close 2nd to Barry Bonds). He's like a enhanced version of Jeff Bagwell. He mashes at the plate. Fantastic baserunner. One of the premier defensive shortstops of the game (I place a substantial value on defense, especially the up the middle positions). He's an absolute gamer. His excellence in all facets of the game makes him considerably better than Pujols in my opinion.

And on a side note, Frank Thomas was such a damn good hitter in the 90's. For like a 7 year stretch, he was hitting .330, 35 plus hr's, 120plus rbi's, 100 runs, 100 walks, and with a phenomenally low strikeout total for a hitter of his caliber. That 1994 season Bagwell and him were having (outside of Barry Bonds) were the 2 greatest single season offensive stats in the last 30 years. Memories.... Who can forget that strike shortened season. Now I'm curious if those seasons were enough to propell the Big Hurt into the Hall of Fame.

11. tierre_brown

So no one's going to comment on the HRs and talk about ARod vs Pujols?

I have to take Pujols on this one. I agree with Major; Pujols has better statistics than ARod, and it doesn't look like he's going to slow down anytime soon. I don't remember anyone mentioning Triple Crown for ARod, but that's the buzz I've been hearing about Pujols: that within 5 years, he will be a serious contender every healthy year for that elusive Triple Crown. He's going to be much better than ARod, if he isn't already.

12. Major

Major Member

but that's the buzz I've been hearing about Pujols: that within 5 years, he will be a serious contender every healthy year for that elusive Triple Crown.

He's a contender this year - #1 in average, #4 in HR, and #2 in RBI's. :eek:

13. Da Man

Supporting Member

Triple Crown talk is premature. It is such a difficult feat this day and age.

Gary Sheffield in 92 was relatively close. He led the league in hitting, 3rd in hr's, 5th in rbi's. Finish 2 hr's back from the lead. Finish 9 rbi's back from the lead. All at the tender age of 23, like Pujols.

Barry Bonds was pretty damn close in 1993. 1st in hr's, 1st in rbi's, 4th in hitting. He would have won the triple crown in 1992 with those stats.

And of course people were talking about A-Rod eventually hitting for the triple crown after his 1996 season. He just finished like 2 votes shy of the MVP, lead the league in hitting, cranked out 36 dingers and 120 plus rbi's all at the age of 21.

Pujols some amazing things right now. He's definately putting together a hall of fame resume. But what he is doing is not unprecedented. He's a great player already. But for him to be a "much better player" than A-Rod. That says a lot. A-Rod is coming off of two consecutive 50 homerun seasons. That's big time.

Pujols has a chance to have a special career. But he needs to string together 4 or 5 more seasons before we annoint him as the Best Player in Baseball.

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The fact that their hitting is comparable, while A-Rod is a great defensive shortstop - and Pujols is a poor defensive left fielder is what clinches it in A-Rod's favor for me.

Also, Bonds is hitting better than Pujols this year too.

15. tierre_brown

I thought Pujols was leading majors with .368?

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

That's batting average. Bond's OBP and SLG% are superior to Pujols - and he plays in a pitcher's park.