1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Home Repair] Help! Foster dog destroyed laundry room

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 00rocketgirl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't it be both?;)

Not much to add to the advice here and these are generally easy fixes. You can take the old blinds to a good hardware store and see if they can match the color and model.

As far as the dog, a dog like that needs a lot of exercise. Before leaving it home you should take it on a long walk / run and tire it out.

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

If you have to ask that question then there is no hope for you in the real world and you'll never make any significant amount of money in your entire life. Just a mindless drone doing mindless things.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Easy for you to say.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i suggest you trash the rest of the house and remove some valuable items. then call your parents to tell them someone broke in. they won't even worry about the laundry room.

5. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Stop keeping foster dogs, there is a reason no one wants them. If you insist on keeping them, use a crate.

#2 concerning the blinds, go to Lowes/Home Depot with the blinds, they can replace them for you. They should not be too expensive.

#3 Concerning the door frame, it looks like it is a single piece of wood that will only need to be cut to size, painted and nailed into place. It is about a 30 minute job, it shouldnt cost you more than $50 in labor, maybe $100 if you just want it done.

#4 Go to Angies List and get a common handyman. Have someone (a male) stay at the house with you while he does the repairs.

#5 I would do it for you but I am in Chicago.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

why don't you fix it for her?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I think he's talking to Kam about his "hobbies", not RocketGirl's issue... or... am I :confused: ?

EDIT: Never mind. I went back and re-read his description of "all of us"... it's odd that he's also a ClutchFan. :p open foot, shoot himself in the mouth stick.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You could also just clean up, replace the blinds, which should be easy enough to do...and just leave the frame as is. Tell them something else happened and offer to pay for it.

9. conquistador#11

wait what? single again? that's the best news clutchfans has heard all week!

Lol the face of the culprit..."I didn't do that." :p

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Well crap, I love all those things and I'm only going to be a doctor. I wish you told me that sooner so I could do better things with my life and make more money.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

don't feed the trolls

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Take pictures, and the stuff you can remove, and go to Lowes/Home Depot. Ask a guy that you really need to get this stuff fixed and that you are totally clueless about these things. Make sure to smile at them, and laugh if they tell a joke. Worst case scenario, they will help you get everything you need to fix it. Best case scenario they will offer to come help you fix it after they get off work.

If prepared to give it a try yourself (you do a great job on the clothes you alter, replacing that stuff isn't harder than that), make sure you take measurements of everything before you head off to the hardware store.

You can also try CL, but that that always carries more risk.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Measure the window width and bring the broken blinds to Home Depot. As for the door trim, match the paint and paint over it. It won't look great, but it'll be better.

Have you considered hiring one of Swoly's primos to do the work? ;) :) :p

1 person likes this.
  14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

ditto this. I have six dogs (including our foster dog) and it is a load but worth it.

Sounds like you have an escape artist on your hands, Rocketgirl. You may want to try using a chain or cable to wrap TIGHT around the door and then padlock it so that she can't get out by flipping the locks. Also, (and I say this from experience) you may want to ziptie the corners (where the wire walls meet) of the crate so that she doesn't pop those apart.

I'm shocked that someone hasn't stepped up to offer to fix the door. It's cheap and easy. Since no men here have stepped up, a handyman would probably do it for you for next to nothing if you provide the materials.

16. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

6 dogs? Holy crap. Hubby and I decided to not get 2nd dog. How can you handle all of 6?? Are they small? My Bo is a handful!

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow you live in a studio apartment and went for another dog? You must really love dogs because I would think one dog is more than enough in there lol

18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

i'm going to have to spend the night to fully asses the situation.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

CCan't tell if this is inside joke or racist joke..... :confused:

;) REP, sir.

primos = cousins

20. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Sorry for those who were rooting for "Kamketgirl". It never happened. I think the "1.rockets 2. Kam 3. Everything else" thread was too convincing, but it was just a dare by the_yoyo at the clutchfans suite last year.

Lol not exactly "again." I've been single for the last 6 1/2 years

Thanks to those with the serious responses, you have been a tremendous help. My dad is now coming home this Sunday, and I think I'll do my best to get the supplies ready and have him help me fix it. He's the best handyman I know and he would find it foolish to pay someone for a job one of us could do. (He refuses to hire a lawn service so im the one who mows & edges the lawn). Parents found out about the dog today but not the damage yet.

The dog did much better today after I reinforced some parts of her crate, moved her, and put my dog by her to keep her company. I've been walking her before leaving and playing fetch in the backyard but did it longer this morning. Thanks again for all of the tips.