1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Home Repair] Help! Foster dog destroyed laundry room

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 00rocketgirl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. likestohypeguy

Well done, I got a little bit mad.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There has to be someone here who can repair that for you. Doesn't seem that difficult, so someone with some general experience in home repair/building should be able to do it. Looks like a fairly cheap repair. Blinds may be the most expensive thing, if they're real wood.

You may just be able to find those blinds at Home Depot. Take them off and take them there. Measure the length/width of the ones not destroyed to get accurate measurements.

That dog just needs to be walked until it's out of energy.

inside

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Don't visit the GARM much?

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Wasn't this the premise of the movie Beethoven 5 ?

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Your parents are going to kick your ass.

And no, I don't do handy work. I don't even mow my own yard anymore people.

For the blinds, tell your mom you felt like redecorating the house, so you got yourself new blinds.

For the doors, I have no clue.

Let me know when you get a female yorkie in also. I would also like to adopt a Lhasa Apso.

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I must say I'm a bit surprised at the responses, or lack thereof. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I mean really... a gal on a mostly male board, comes on here states she needs handyman help and adds that she has no boyfriend, and these are the responses?

qft. If none of the lame single guys in this thread are gonna offer to come help you, that is. I'm not saying it'd be a good or bad idea to accept, just that I can't believe no one has offered.

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

Measure the width and height of the window, go to lowes and buy the new blinds. They will cut them there for you. Hire a handyman to replace that door trim and install the new blinds for you. You can get the trim at any hardware store that sells lumber. All of this should cost you less than $400 depending on how much the handy man charges for labor.

And that is a really nice looking dog. Keeping a dog like that in a studio apartment or in a crate for a long period of time is just awful. I know you were trying to do something nice for the dog but you really aren't doing the dog any favors by fostering it inside of a crate in a laundry room. If you have a yard and time to give then foster some dogs, if not then just go volunteer at the humane society or whatever when you have free time.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Do you really thing these video game playing, computer dorks actually know how to do any home repairs? Seriously? A lot of these kids that post here aren't even old enough to drive to begin with. Video games, fast food, and sports is all they know.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What is wrong with video games, fast food, and sports.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Right?

That being said, its easily the easiest thing to do... kam could do it, but hes still playing hard to get...?? :confused:

In all honesty you could do it yourself rocketgirl... bring those photos to a lowes or home depot and they will help you out... all you would have to do is take down old blinds and put up new ones.... with the door trim youd have to use a hammer or prybar to rip off the old trim, and use thin wood nails to nail it to the wall... im sure you could find them painted already, but if not than youd have to match the paint... the most difficult thing qouod be swingin a hammer...

Rockgirl you got.this.dont shy away...

11. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

This dog was rescued from BARC, the Houston pound. I heard BARC has a 90% kill rate. Sending a dog there is a death sentence- to get sick or euthanized. Before I started fostering this dog, she was kept at a boarders, paid for by the rescue group, which I know is no better than staying in a crate for part of the day and then getting long walks and lots of attention later. When I took the dog in, it allowed the rescue group to go out and take in another dog. So you seriously want to tell me that I'm not doing it any favors? Not only this dog but what about the dog the rescue group took in after I started fostering her? You don't think I did that dog a favor? Fostering is temporary, and even if it is a little discomfort for the dog it's going to pay off in the long run when the dog is able to be adopted out to a forever home. I had to pass an application process to make sure the living situation was ideal for the dog. When I got the dog, I had bringing it to my parents house to run around in the backyard in mind, just not the destroy the laundry room part. My only mistake was getting a dog that was too young, not for my living arrangement, but for me.

She still got plenty of exercise at the apartment, 3 long walks a day, and I'm only gone 6 hours for work. The past 4 nights the dog has stayed at my parents house with a big yard and pool she loves to jump in on the first step. Although in photos she looks like she could be a giant German Shepherd size dog, she's only 30 lbs and a dog that size isn't ridiculous to keep in an apartment.

Last week I took in a foster dog, the following night rescued a stray Yorkie by a busy street downtown & took it in, and then found a home for the Yorkie a couple days later with actually none other than a Clutchfans member. So yeah, I think I'm doing some dogs some favors.

& thanks for the serious laundry room tips. Very helpful

1 person likes this.
  12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The former. Too lazy to find the thread.

Edit: whoops, thought I was replying to the last post of the thread.

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

paint da doore trim wit semi-gloss white paint, if u can still cee it, uze wood filller.......remoove blindz n take to da repare place

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Are you guys not dating anymore? That's disappointing.

I thought you two were destined for each other and walk off into the sunset (chaperoned by SCK of course) together.

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of that one thread...

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Same here, what happened?!

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

People already gave you advice on the fixes... so...

YEAH. What happened to y'all? :confused:

Kam realized you were "TOO OLD"? ;)

17. VanityHalfBlack

@00rocketgirl,
    You need some rocket fuel, know wat I'm sayin...;)

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Didn't read the responses, but if you're going to foster dogs, you need to get a heavy-duty crate to keep them in. Craigslist is your best bet in terms of $.

19. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worse **** in life is going to happen to you or your parents than this. I'd just tell your parents what happened and offer to pay for it.

The blinds will be the biggest expense.

Depending on whether or not you can match the casing on the door frame, it could require 1-3 pieces of casing to fix it. Then you will need some white paint to paint the casing. Your Dad should know how to cut the 45 degree angles at the top of the door.

I'm pretty forgiving if my son fesses up and takes ownership. Your Mom and Dad will be too.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

you're doing a great thing. dogs are the best and any little thing you can do to keep a stray from being euthanized is totally worth it. she's a gorgeous dog. i wish i had more time to train the little spazzes, i'd probably foster just to have playmates for my dog.