1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Record not without excuses...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jebustheomlet, Feb 9, 2008.

1. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

The following is from a friend's analysis. Think about it.

some interesting things that i've noticed lately

a. our home record is severly underappreciated. all 9 losses have come with tmac or yao having some injury problem. lakers-tmac elbow, phoenix-tmac dnp, dallas-tmac coming back from elbow and in bad rythem (though id be the first to concede this was an unexcusable loss), dallas- tmac knee, orlando-tmac knee, golden state-tmac dnp, new orleans-tmac dnp, philadelphia-tmac dnp, and utah-yao dnp

in healthy home games, the rockets are 9-0; who saw that one coming?

b. there have been alot of comparisons to the 04-05 rockets team that started off 6-11, got to .500 at 16-16 and then finished with 51 wins; This season's team was actually on a worse pace than that, getting to .500 at 17-17 I believe; But both teams had a point where they were 20-19 (interestingly enough the 19th loss for both teams came to inferior eastern teams on a tuesday at home). But that 04-05 team actually picked up their 21st loss in january itself before embarking on the 8 game win streak leading up to the allstar break finishing at 32-21; should the rockets win their next 3 games, we'd be at 32-20, on an 8 game win streak, leading to the all star break

That team has always been my favorite team in recent memory, although last seasons team was arguably better because of the grit and toughness that team had; we actually ran up and down the court finishing our season with games where we scored 127, 119, 117, 115 (twice), 114, 113 after van gundy had been berated in his first season and the first part of his second for not scoring points; jon barry, david wesley, mike james, and bob sura provided a veteran spark and the fun factor; last season had that fun factor missing and thats what cost them the most in the playoffs, it was too much about business, too much pressure, and they ultimately folded

this season though, that spark is back; i actually felt inspired when watching that cleveland game seeing landry hit the deck frequently, bonzi hustling and throwing down some vicious dunks, scola being all over the place, yao playing efficiently, tmac giving it all he had, and maybe, just maybe there's enough for a magical run to end the season to put ourselves in the greatest playoffs the west has ever seen

2. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

great points....good post

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so we DO have excuses. tmac just didn't want to claim those excuses, but rather blame them on the depth perception ;) . he knows injuries are not good excuses haha.

4. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

awesome thread, very good analysis and homework well done. :cool:

5. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Also don't forget that the supporting cast in 2005 ran out of gas in the playoffs due to their age, and I do not see that as a problem this year.

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

In other words, 8 of our 9 losses came from an unhealthy/DNP T-Mac.

7. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Really good to know that many of our home losses we were missing T-mac

8. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Did Saagar Grover post this on Facebook? He used to be my neighbor :D

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The depth perception was particularly bad on those nights, so T-Mac faked his injuries to avoid playing. He didn't want to explain the depth perception issue for the upteenth time in the post-game interview.

10. Skip-To-My-Lou

Nice post.... I never thought of it that way

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I would love for this team to follow the path of the 2005 team. The only reason that team wasn't able to seal the deal on the Mavs is because of our lack of depth and athleticism. This year's team has that.

12. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

haha yea.

13. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Good point, however this team is organized differently. That was a Tmac-centric team and this is a Yaocentric team. Yao is a better player now, while Tmac may have regressed

14. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

No.

Is Yao's team because every team that has a Big Man like Yao need to play around him.

Kobe was phenomenal in the 3 NBA championship but that was Shaq's team.

In the last two championships for the Spurs Manu and Parker had statistical outplayed Duncan, but is Duncan's team.

And team that have a force inside like Houston does need to make the game around him.

15. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

WORTHY OF NOTE:

The Houston Rockets basketball team won tonight

The Houston Rockets basketball team has won 10 of last 11

The Houston Rockets basketball team has won 8 straight road games

The Houston Rockets basketball team is in the playoff picture

The Houston Rockets basketball team lost one game last month

The Houston Rockets basketball team are the sum of all its parts - strengths and weaknesses, and live or die as a TEAM. Got nothing to do with YOF or TOF or any individual.

Thank you, Houston Rockets!

from all the ROF :)

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nice post.

These "excuses" are actually worth mentioning and have merit. Amazing how I write this team off and then they go off and start playing some pretty good basketball.

17. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

i love how almost every post in this forum regresses into an argument. how sad.