1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Home Networking] Need Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Feb 25, 2008.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Ok so recently I switched from Comcast to Windstream...and to my joy my connection speeds were as fast as they should have been when I was with Comcast. So everything's fine, right? Nope.

I tried connecting to Xbox Live and it failed. I just got Tivo (which I found out Windstream is partnering with in the near future) and it won't even connect. Now I should say both times they do actually connect but they end up failing at some point. For Tivo, during guided setup, it connects, it configures then the connection gets interrupted during the "getting info" step. For Xbox Live, it fails at the MTU step. Now I've tried restarting everything multiple times, power cycling all that jazz. I thought it might be the router cause its a weaker model. But two reasons why it's not: I tried connecting directly to the modem to no avail and everything worked fine running through the same router when I had Comcast.

So, given all that, naturally it seems that it's a problem with the ISP right? It's not just an Xbox live failure, it's that and Tivo (I think I even had a problem with the Wii initially too). It's not a router problem cause I tried connecting directly to the modem. When I checked out xbox support, it did say I need a minimum MTU of 1365 or greater I believe, or it won't connect. Is that something I can ask the ISP about; is it something they can adjust on their end?

This is seriously frustrating....am I gonna have no choice but to go back to crappy Comcast. If Windstream doesn't solve this issue, then it's either stick with an ISP that from the getgo has provided fast speeds but is basically incompatible for some reason with any other media device (despite them claiming on their website that they are compatible with the Xbox 360) or go back to Comast (uverse I know isn't available in my area and neither is Verizon I believe) which I know will work with Tivo and Xbox Live but is more than likely gonna give me dial up speeds (despite their power boost bs).

What am I to do?
    :confused:

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

For X-box 360 you need to have the MTU set to Manual and 1500....not sure about Tivo.

DD

3. JunkyardDwg

How exactly do I do that?

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Do you have a router? You need to get into the software of the router and find the proper page and set it.

If you have a linksys router...it is like 192.168.1.1 with the password of
    "admin"

DD

5. JunkyardDwg

Well I set it but that didn't help....like I said also, I tried hooking the xbox (and the Tivo as well) directly to the modem and it still wouldn't connect. And I never had a problem with the router before when i had Comcast. So I dunno.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Do you have DHCP set up on your router?

Does it assign IP addresses to all your stuff?

It could also be that you need to get your router to clone your mac address for your PC.

When I got a new router I had to do that......it is also in setup.

DD

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah, but if he's hooking directly to the modem and still not able to setup he's bypassing the router completely.

More than likely there is some specific setup that Windstream requires for devices hooked up to it...or a setting they put into the modem. What kind of modem is it?

8. JunkyardDwg

See that's what I was thinking. Because not only have I tried bypassing the router completely, but the router was working fine when I had Comcast.

But of course when I'm talking to tech support last night for Windstream, the guy has no idea what I'm talking about (when I mention that Xbox Live requires the MTU to be at a certain level and if that's something they can adjust) and his supervisor never called me back. His only advice was to upgrade the highest speed.

And I think the modem is a Siemens Speedstream.

9. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

This is what you could try before giving them a call. They may only allow one device out so go into your routers options and do a clone mac. This will mean that every time any device accesses the internet the router will just report 1 mac to the cable modem and thus trick it to think that there is only one device getting out. You may need to do an ipconfig /release if you let your computer connect directly to the cable modem before connecting the router to the cable modem.

10. JunkyardDwg

Again, if I take the router of the equation, but it's still not working, then that's not really a problem with the router right? I have tried hooking the modem straight up to the xbox (so only one device was connected) and it stil fails at the MTU step. And I never had this problem before when I was with Comcast.

11. Ron from the G

But they might only have 1 IP reserved for your cable modem and IP's have lease's on them for a certain amount of days. Therefore the IP they have registered for your cable modem may then be attached to the MAC address of the first item you connected to the cable modem. Thus any additional items you try to hook up to the modem will have a different MAC address that is not reserved for the IP since the lease is not up yet.

Do this. Put the first item you connected to the cable modem back on the cable modem and do ipconfig /release that way the IP is no longer attached to the MAC of that device. Then hook up a different device to the cable modem to see if it can pull an IP. I've never had that company so depending on how they have things set up you may want to restart the cable modem before putting the second device on the line, but after you have already done the ipconfig /release.

12. Ron from the G

Forgot to mention that this is more then likely a problem on their end, but this is a last step thing that you can do to try to resolve the problem yourself without having to wait on them.

13. JunkyardDwg

Ok I'll try that and see what happens...but how exactly do I do an ipconfig/release?

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

go to run-->cmd

15. JunkyardDwg

and then just type in ipconfig/release in the dos prompt?

(sorry if these are stupid questions....my home networking abilities pretty much are stretched after I've tried the basic troubleshooting options)

16. JunkyardDwg

I'll also add that when I connect the Tivo and the Xbox they do seem to find an IP address and it's not until a little later in the setup process that they disconnect from the network...for the Xbox when it's trying determine the MTU setting and the Tivo when its trying to dl content.

I'll give it a try though.

17. JunkyardDwg

All about who you talk to...actually got a hold of a service tech who knew something. She helped me access the modem and we changed some of the settings. And all is good!

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, what did she have you change?

19. JunkyardDwg

She had me override the default MTU settings.