1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holy Sh*t - Someone might be interested in trading for John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t really understand what all the worry is about Wall being a cancer. He would be a really good backup PG. If he won’t accept that role just bench him and let him whine away. No way we should give up any assets to get rid of him. Ride it out or get some sucker to give us their expirings for him.

Corrosion and don grahamleone like this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Thought this was a new thread with some new news oh well guess not.

FLASH21 likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eat the contract and if we draft Cade watch him backup Wall or watch KPJ back up wall and stunt their development for a pick that might not even be worth it considering how good the Nets have been as an organization under Marks?

Nah. I don't think it's worth it. If we draft Cade he needs space to grow, not some bitter old vet...

Yall remember when Mason Jones was playing well? Scoring seemingly at will and then Wall made some lame comment "We see you can score but what else can you do?" Dude was never the same since then and this is something that was private. We saw Wood get discouraged because the ball wasn't moving a few times already...now add that to a young rookie who will be eager to prove himself in the NBA (hopefully) but will find a vet who will be more than happy to stunt his growth to continue being the 'franchise'.

If you have a #1 pick I believe you do everything to make sure that player reaches their potential...having an ol vet in their way, soaking up their minutes, is detrimental to that...and all for a pick that might not be worth much in the end.

No one is talking about trading all of our picks, but one pick attached to Wall might be enough to entice a team to take that chance on him.

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

IF he were available for trade?? Come on Hoops Central, do better.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You realize we can just have Wall come off the bench right? We had to play him this season so see what we had in him and to let him show what he could do. He has done that and now people either see him as a valuable 6th man or eventual expiring contract. If he fusses about taking a back seat, just tell him to stay home. Unlike other former stars, it's not like Wall has any influence around the league.

Corrosion and lakersuck2 like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

When is the last time a player of his stature 'just sat on the bench' on a team? It rarely ever happens. Teams don't let it happen for a reason. If you can just have guys sit on a bench there would be no such thing as buyouts.

So we're just going to ignore him as part of our team for 2 years...when does this happen?

D-rock likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, alethios and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. First of all, who the **** is Massey guy. Second of all, sure, if we offer Wall + multiple 1sts, then the Knicks could be interested. But we aren't doing that.

D-rock likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Uhm Lamarcus Aldridge did it literally last year? Derrick Rose is kinda doing it too. John Wall no longer have "stature" and the only person who doesn't know it is John Wall.

D-rock likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No he didn't 'literally' do that. Lamarcus Aldridge was bought out, he didn't do it for a year. They were trying to trade him, realize they couldn't, then bought him out. This happened in the span of months and is usually what happens around the deadline, teams don't just put players like that in purgatory with 0 plans to use them.

We're really believing a team can do this to a player for 2 seasons? A player that's been itching to play and return to the NBA...that we, as an organization, can just tell him to sit down and shut up and not play for two seasons and that we won't buy him out and won't trade him and that there will be 0 issues.

This isn't NBA2k, the players are people, Wall might not be Lebron but he's represented by a major agency and sitting him out for 2 whole seasons because we won't buy him out or trade him would be unprecedented and would not be a good look moving forward for Tilman. We're talking about not playing a Rich Paul client for 2 whole years and discussing this casually as if it would have 0 consequences.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

LaMarcus was shelved by the Spurs for a few months while they were looking for a trade. I know cause I traded freaking Sexton for him in fantasy. He was fully healthy but they mutually decided to stay away while they worked on a trade. Eventually they couldn't find one and they bought him out. It'll be the same for Wall. We'll be trying to trade him. Yes, it'll be much much much much harder but we'll be trying to find a trade throughout the whole thing. If he gets fed up with it then he's always free to leave money on the table for a buyout. Let him do whatever he wants to do while waiting he doesn't even need to be on the bench.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas doesnt seem to know it either.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

fckbandwagons likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

16. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

I don't get your response to my comment. Are you saying we should trade away the first pick if we get it and any other pick so the organization doesn't waste their talent? I agree that Wall is more or a detriment to the team than a dependable veteran leader.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, but they were always moving on from LMA, for a few months...we have Wall for 2 seasons. If we had Wall for a few months I'm sure we could sit him, we have him for 2 years, no player, especially one his age, will be cool with just sitting out.

I'm sure if come the start of the season the Rockets tell Wall they will work on a trade he'll sit out and be cool with it and that's normal, but we can't just sit on him for 2 years and do nothing with him. No matter how much I dog on Wall he's baller, he's not going to just be cool with sitting out a year and nor will his agency, much less two years.

I'm saying if we draft Cade we should package Wall away with one of our acquired first round picks (not one of ours) whether that be Mil, BKN, whatever.

At this point in time, I don't think those picks have the value people think they have. Sean Marks is an excellent GM, even when BKN had nothing he made something from scraps...and Milwaukee will be a playoff team as long as they have Giannis. I'm not saying trade away a bulk of picks with Wall...but a sweetner of say next years BKN pick or something might let us get rid of him.

I just don't like the idea of Cade having to spend two years 'learning' from Wall. I'd rather just have all these young guys grow together without his presence on the team and we can get vet leadership from other guys who don't have the ego of a superstar.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There is no situation where Wall's contract isn't an impediment.

If the Rockets trade him , its going to cost them assets to get someone to take the contract.

Why should they take that loss ?

I'd be all for a buyout but its not practical when its going to cost the Rockets $90m+. Wall would have to leave something on the table here to make a buyout possible.

Are the Rockets just supposed to eat that loss - Not to mention the loss of cap space ?

If Wall wants out , he's got to make some concessions .... Waive the player option for 22/23 and we'll pay the 21/22 season in full and you are free to go .... Otherwise , there's nothing wrong with playing Wall "As Needed". The contract is too prohibitive otherwise.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Shark44 likes this.
  20. DonatelloLimestone

If you're objective is to get rid of wall and his influence, send him home.

Simple, why lose a valuable pick, 25 percent of oru return for Harden, just to lose a player when you can send him home and actually put use that pick, in a trade or to actually draft.

You see thunder and Al horford? They had no use for him, they sent him home and hes at home. They didn't lose a valuable asset in the trade market ina pick to do it.

Makes 0 Sense to cut into our harden trade to get rid of a player, i he won't go with the game plan. This is a big business, he can be sent home and thats fine too he doesn't have the superstar clout and hasn't performed at a high level in 3 straight years.

D-rock likes this.