1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOLY CRAP. Check out this dunk.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bmd, Nov 7, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Kid from the College of Central Florida. :eek:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_NREJAtsyBM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/_NREJAtsyBM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://youtu.be/_NREJAtsyBM

I know it's not NBA... but I wasn't sure where to put this.

2. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wow. They should check whether that rim is legal height.

4. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Insane dunk?

5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

He just did a Blake Griffin, braced his off hand on the shoulder of an opposing player (who was also jumping up), and rode his momentum up even higher than he would have normally.

It could be that the kid has great vertical on his own, but we can't know that from this video.

Griffin is an amazing dunker, but his most famous dunks are when he gives himself some extra vertical by pushing up off the opponent.

1 person likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't really see him pushing off. He might have braced himself (I can't even tell that), but I don't see how you can say he pushed off when his left arm is virtually shielded from the camera by his body.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lmao @ that chubby kid in the front row walking to his seat and missing everything

8. heypartner

I don't see him pushing off, either. That's speculation.

Plus, the idea that you can "ride someone's momentum up even higher" without that person being pushed down is arguably contrary to basic physics. The other guy isn't a rocket that you hold on to. He would have been pushed down, or at least stopped rising had the dunker got any significant boost from him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He got a boost from the guy jumping below him pushed him up higher, still amazing !

DD

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's the same effect as the famous Chambers dunk on Mark Jackson.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V7T_Wg5ilo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If you're gonna argue that this guy pushed off, you have to argue that Vince Carter committed an offensive foul against Frederic Weis in the olympics.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XMrPjl-927Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry about the French commentating.

12. coffeelover665

haha the things you notice. I didn't even see that but after a second look, it gave me a chuckle

13. heypartner

As EddieWasSnubbed said, we can't actually see anything.

Chamber got his knee on Mark Jackson's shoulder. That didn't happen in the other vid. And also notice, Jackson didn't rise from the floor. The other kid in the vid did with no apparent impeding of rise....which as I said before, is arguably contrary to the laws of physics. You'd expect to see the other kid pushed down. He wasn't.

14. bmd

bmd Member

The kid in the video didn't push down. The defender below him jumped up in the air.

The kid who dunked it got the top of his head about as high as the rim all by himself, and then the defender below him jumped up to grab the rebound and pushed the dunker up about a foot higher.

15. yummyhawtsauce

Agreed. Even if he was pushing off, there's no way that pushing off will give you more height. He pushed probably to 'stabilize' themselves momentarily or to get space

16. heypartner

That's theory, because we can't see it. What did he push him with? His head? You can't push someone up one foot without using your arms.

And he caught that at the peak of his jump. Had the jumper needed an extra foot, he totally miscalculated his jump and would have missed the ball entirely. I doubt he jumped expecting to get a foot boost.

17. bmd

bmd Member

You can see it right here:

[​IMG]

The guys below him jumping up for the rebound jump up and put their arms up to brace themselves from the guy flying over him, and they get underneath his legs/hips and propel him up a bit.

It's pretty easy to see.

18. heypartner

Are you talking about the defender closer to us? Sorry, the dunker already has the ball in that photo. Look again. So, maybe he propped him up for a split second longer, but he didn't push him up...dude was already at his peak.

And as I said, dunker got the ball at the peak of his jump. Are you saying he planned to get a one foot boost? Your theory would say the dunker would miss the ball had he not got the one foot boost. "One foot" boost is a complete exaggeration.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Obviously the kid could jump really high already, but you could see when the 2 players (one from each team) jump up for the rebound, but the guy is already on top of them, so essentially the two players under him helped support his leap.

Also in that photo quoted above, the dunker hasn't gotten the ball yet, it's more obvious on the video, but in the screenshot above, he's still being support by the players below.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Sorry, but you might be blind lol.

Keep your eyes on the two players trying to go for the rebound below him. Don't even look at the ball. Maybe that will make it more obvious to you.

The guy dunking the ball naturally got the top of his head to the rim all by himself, and then he was given a boost by the guys below him so that his entire head was above the rim. I estimated that to be about a foot.