1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hollywood and Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 11, 2008.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I would have preferred to see Asians cast in the role. It would have been more interesting to me to see a bunch of nerdy Asian kids scheme Vegas than a bunch of white Abercrombie models. Besides the book touches heavily on the main character's relationship with his Asian parents and upbringing and how it affects his decisions. Hollywood sucks. I agree with the comments that the movie will grabs more box office dollars this way, because we all know that a bigger box office means higher quality. :rolleyes: Good for them, I won't be seeing it.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff Ma is probably happy that it got made into a movie. I mean if Hollywood was going to make a movie about me but cast a white guy as me I would be dissapointed but still glad that people thought my life story was compelling enough to make a movie about.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yeah, Harold and Kumar should've starred Ryan Reynolds and Dane Cook and it would've made truckloads of money. :rolleyes:

As I said I'm annoyed but not up in arms over this but some of these comments are ridiculous. We don't know how this movie will do yet and we have no idea knowing how this movie would do if the casting lived up the real story. The idea that casting Asians over whites will lead to it being an Asian story and subsequently a lower box office draw seems highly speculative. While Asians are far fewer in number than whites in the US in recent years having Asians in major roles hasn't seem to have hurt many movies or TV shows. Plus given the popularity of Asian actors on Lost and Heroes it might even help.

Also given that many movies now make most of their money in overseas releases and DVD sales having an Asian cast might actually make more money in foreign markets.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ReWork the Joy Luck . . with an All white cast
    I bet you make more money at the box office

While Asian Popularity is rising
    A movie with an all minority cast or mostly minority cast
    just does not seem to do as well
    [Comedies tend to do better than any other though]

Rocket River
    I'm not saying it is racist. . but it is imo reality

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It's not a history lesson. It's an Amercian entertainment movie made for profit. I'm sure is the Chinese were allowed to make their own version it would have Chinese people in it. This crap is stupid. Nobody cries about the lack of white people on Japanese movies etc. Stay there if that's what you want to see.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

when you can provide an example of a japanese person playing a real white character, this stupid ass statement will have a point

7. MR. MEOWGI

See, they never do and it makes me all upset. Life is so unfair.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

:confused:

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as usual meowgi you have taken a point to an extreme because you lack the ability to effectively argue your point. you have to make a up a senario that never happens, and the fact that it never happens only strengthens the point of the opposition.

no one is claiming some widespread racism in hollywood holding asians in american back. i'm sure there are struggling asian actors however that would have liked to have a shot at these roles. also, you argue as if there is no racism in the world, but the fact that everyone admits this movie probably does a little better because of the actors chosen, shows that race does matter to people. that's not racism, but race is a factor in our everyday lives.

10. MR. MEOWGI

Only because of people like you who don't shut up about it. The weak cling to race for identity.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the weak try to sum up everything in black and white because the have an inability to think further than that or discuss things intellectually

no one insults you because you cling to everything eighties and you are a bitter old man not even forty years old who can't accept changes in the world

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're right. the point is he wants his story told and its not a story about an asian immigrant growing up in san francisco who saves little china from raiden.

my conclusion from the movie is the main point is growing up, making decisions, and finding oneself....and getting the hot girl in the end

its an entertainment movie. if it were the killing fields and they got will smith to play the cambodian guy then that wouldn't make sense at all.

13. MR. MEOWGI

No way. It would be art and he would win awards. But some people would upset as always. No coloring outside the lines.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but you don't have a problem when white people claim reverse racism, I never see you in those threads

15. tinman

Supporting Member

that's the wrong attitude for a critic. you can't criticize a movie until you watch it.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, but you can't go see every movie, right? You go see the one's that sound interesting to you. This doesn't sound interesting to me. Therefore, I won't see it.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

well in your statement, you mentioned abrecrombie models and non asians.

1. there are asians
    2. there are normal looking people besides sturgess and kate :D
    3. there's one good review for it (me :cool: )

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I doubt it as they would also have to redo the whole story and it wouldn't be the Joy Luck Club. Actually the fact that the Joy Luck Club was a bestseller long before it was a movie shows that Asian characters and themes can be successful in the US.

As a personal side note I never saw the movie, hated the book and think Amy Tan is a sellout trying to make buck by exploting Chinese culture for the Oprah audience. Woman Warrior imo is much much better.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Amy Tan and Jeff Ma are just doing what Tupac said

"trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents"

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There are two things. Race isn't central to the story but it is a minor factor in the original story, generally Asian kids were considered more naive than whites, so its not being true to the original story. For instance Erin Brockavich wasn't specifically about race but it wouldn't have been true to the story if they had casted Halle Berry as Erin Brockavich since even though Halle Berry is light skinned she wouldn't be mistaken as white trailer trash which is part of Erin Brockavich's story.

The second thing is the presumption that white actors translates into more box office. That's purely speculative and one that I don't think can be supported given that Asian actors have done very well and that most movies these days make their profit on overseas and DVD sales and not from the US box office. US box offices are lucky to cover the costs of the making the movie.

For whatever reasons the producers thought it would be more successful casting white people instead of Asians. I don't agree with it but I'm not going to go burn down paramount over it.