1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hollinger's Euro Forecast (Scola mention)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jul 12, 2007.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It was funny, It looks like Dadakota wrote that report :D :p

2. 2rings

2rings Member

Hey, we will take that kind of "charity" every day. Pride cometh before rhe fall.

3. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

And if I remember it right, the current 61.8M doesn't include Oberto either, he opted out and Spurs is going to resign him at about 2.5M.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would say he's a b**** waiting to happen, but there's no more waiting, he's just a b****.

PS, that wikipedia article is hilarious and illustrates my point about hype to reality ratio. Thanks again B-Ball scientist for your scientific use of wikipedia.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

You're right. If they re-sign Oberto they're going to need to dump either Barry, Bowen, or Horry.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What's the rebounding number mean? Per 40 minutes?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a brilliant scouting report on V-Span.

;)

8. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

yah, total rebounds per fourty minutes

9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

You mean Luffy1 ;)

10. BBall Scientist

Don't you think the fact that it says it came from the Spurs is interesting? Notice it was posted long before he was traded there.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. The fact that it can't stay up on wikipedia is far more telling. And why would anyone, let alone SPANOULISFANFOREVER!!!!! be able to get a hold of the Spurs Scouting report on him?

That's not how NBA scouting reports are written. Dennis Lindsey at one time shared insight into the world of scouting reports on rockets.com -- http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Dennis_Lindsey_Blog-196692-34.html

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, looks like somebody takes some things on faith, and other things on science.

PS, I will add that, once again, all of B-ball Alchemist's posts schlobbing Spanoulis' rotating meat log are based on previews and projections of him in the NBA, and steadfastly, dominantly, deliberately ignorant of Spanoulis' abject failure once he got here.

BUt enough about spanoulis. He is done, he's a never-was afterthought who made no impact in Rockets history save in the collective consciousness of his fanclub, which has only one remaining member it seems.

13. BBall Scientist

Scola's projected NBA rookie Hollinger numbers based on 40 minutes of playing time (I did the complete calculation):

These are the COMPLETE Hollinger rookie projection numbers translations, never before posted on this forum for Spanoulis and Scola. For comparisons sakes I compared them to Rafer Alston and Chuck Hayes. I hope this gives a good comparison for Rockets fans.

Now keep in mind that according to Kelly Dywer:

"Off the top of my head, Hollinger's translated stats have been pretty much spot on for Nocioni, Oberto, Udrih, Varejao, and some others I can't remember. The ones that are off are the guys that don't get consistent (even 12 mpg) playing time to have the sample size count, like Maceo Baston in Indiana.

Luis Scola rookie Hollinger projected stats per 40 minutes:

18 points
    10 rebounds
    4 assists
    1 block
    2 steals
    0.00% 3PT
    51% FG
    72% FT

Chuck Hayes Hollinger stats:

40.0 MPG
    10.2 PPG
    12.2 RPG
    1.1 APG
    57.3% FG%
    0.00% 3PT%
    61.8% FT%
    0.4 BPG
    1.6 SPG
    1.5 TOPG

Vassilis Spanoulis rookie Hollinger projected stats per 40 minutes:

40.0 MPG
    13.3 PPG
    3.1 RPG
    6.2 APG
    42.7% FG%
    32.2% 3PT%
    78.0% FT%
    0.4 BPG
    1.6 SPG
    4.0 TOPG

Rafer Alston Hollinger stats:

40.0 MPG
    14.3 PPG
    3.7 RPG
    5.8 APG
    37.5% FG%
    36.3% 3PT%
    73.4% FT%
    0.1 BPG
    1.7 SPG
    2.3 TOPG

So basically, Morey traded a 13 point 6 assist 3 rebound point guard in Spanoulis, cash, and a 2nd rounder for a young big man in Butler and an 18 point 10 rebound 4 assist power forward in Scola.

According to Moneyball this is a very good trade by Morey.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I seriously doubt Scola will average 18ppg with Mike James and Bonzi on the court along with TMac and Yao. If so, boy, will it be a fun season to watch.

But if Scola can pull down 10rpg, 4 assists and 1 block ...dayyyum. WOW. I can't wait to see Scola on the court.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Man, talk about biasing our team towards offense after a defensive intensive era with JVG.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The great thing is that 10/4 is what Juwan or even Chuck Hayes gaves us nightly last season and Scola should be better than either one. If he adapts fast and well, I have no problems seeing him being a focal point in the offense if Adelman rests Yao and McGrady at the same time. In other words, let Yao and TMac sit for a few and let James and Scola roam free.

17. BBall Scientist

No, no no, understand the stats please.

Scola would = 17.9 PPG and 10.3 RPG and 4.3 APG in 40.0 minutes per game.

Let's say Chuck Hayes playes 18 minutes per game, that leaves 30 minutes for Scola at PF.

17.9 PPG in 40 minutes =

13.4 PPG in 30 minutes

That is why I posted the Dwyer quote and Spanoulis per 40 based on the same Hollinger stats. The amount of PT is crucial, it must be over 12 to get a true reading and it must be then re-calibrated based on actual PT versus 40 minutes of PT.

Therefore, if we assume 30/18 minute rotation at PF with Scola and Hayes, the Hollinger projection for Scola is 13.4 PPG 7.7 RPG and 3.2 APG.

In other words, the CLOSEST Moneyball comparsion is CHRIS WILCOX, however at about half the cost.

Again this is pure Moneyball, Morey could acquire Wilcox for twice as much money and Battier, or he could acquire Scola for half the money and Spanoulis, and pick up a 3rd string C to boot.

Pure Moneyball.

And yes based on stats I get Chris Wilcox as the closest statistical comparison to Scola, so this should give some idea.

Please people try to understand the stats. It seems no matter how much info or how in depth you go people still just completely ignore what you are posting the stats to actually MEAN.

Just to further show this, based on the Moneyball stats I project Spanoulis to be the closest stats comparison to Aaron McKey in his prime, but unless he would get the same PT he couldn't naturally put up those numbers and anything under at least 12 MPG is skewed and off.

These are indeed projections, but let's use common sense here, Scola should get about 30 minutes of PT, therefore based on Moneyball stats I conclude a Chris Wilcox type of quality player at PF.

18. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

The 10 rebounds is a projection per 40 minutes. I doubt he gets that many minutes per game. I'm guessing closer to 25-30, unless Yao is injured. Remember how well Chuck plays with Yao? I see Chuck still getting significant minutes.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Ok. These are PER projections.

But if Scola can get at least as many RPG as Juwan and add more in other areas, then we've clearly upgraded our PF spot. Offensively, he clearly is better than Hayes.

20. BBall Scientist

He's about a 14 points 8 rebounds guy I'm hoping and much better on blocking shots, assisting, and stealing than Howard is. He's far superior to Hayes in all offensive areas, and really he's not as good a rebounder as Hayes is, but he's still actually pretty good. Between him and Yao there should be about 18 rebounds a game.