1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hollinger]To Reach the Next Level, the Rockets Need McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madmonkey37, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Member

Hollinger is right.

Rockets played hard last night, and Artest might have helped, but realistically, the Rockets can't beat an elite team in 7 games without a healthy and motivated McGrady (dear God, please fix his head in the next 2 weeks).

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol Hollinger articles are usually 4-5 stars here. But since its talking about the Rockets needing T-Mac, its 3 stars. The hate is strong in this board with no letting up.

3. durvasa

durvasa Member

Pretty good article overall, but I don't know what he was thinking when he wrote this:

[rquoter]
    But after being outscored through three quarters 23-20 by Von Wafer -- you know, the Von Wafer -- Kobe Bryant took over the game in the fourth. He pitched a 13-0 shutout on his opposing number in the final stanza that included a game-winning 3 with Shane Battier "right in his grill," helping the equally injury-riddled Lakers overcome a rough night from Bynum.
    [/rquoter]

The Rockets were missing McGrady and Artest. The Lakers were missing Farmar and Vujacic. That isn't close to being "equally injury-riddled".

4. ApuN

ApuN Member

I couldn't agree more. This guy has made a reputation out of shooting 30 times a game with a terrible percentage. Almost any above average swingman in the league could score this many points if they have the green light to chuck threes.

His shot selection has always been terrible. One of the reasons why he has been such a playoff loser is because in fourth quarters he bogs the offense down dribbling around just to shoot a jumper and never drives to the basket like AI, Kobe, LeBron etc.,

It is so obvious that he brings this team to a standstill and the question should be "where have we gone with T-Jack" rather than "can we win without him?"

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

Funny, I could've sworn you were talking about Kobe. (Except for the driving to the basket part.) :)

6. daernoth

daernoth Member

I dont agree with this article. The Rockets can learn to play and win without Tmac. It will just take some time. This mindset that having a healthy Tmac is the only way they could win in the playoffs needs to be left behind. Its nothing but an excuse. The team has young talent and good veterans. Move forwards not backwards.

Articles like this make me think of Princess Leia and her little holographic projection repeating over and over again... "TMac, you are our only hope!"

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Every champ team needs clutch go to guys. Usually those guys are guards. Someone who can create in the throws of a smothering D in the final seconds with all the pressure in the world on them.

T-mac is our guys for that. We have no one else.

I think t-mac will need more like 4-6 weeks...perhaps longer. The 2 weeks thing is very conservative.

All the talk of the PR spin machine blah blah blah is all speculation. I think you have in T-mac a guy who is playing hurt and lost confidence in his game. Time off will heal both.

8. Landlord Landry

the spurs are boring as hell to watch, and they win titles.

just doesnt suprise me that you'd rather watch 'excitement' than wins.

9. Yetti

Yetti Member

McGrady will be back when he is confident about his fitness and the condition of his knee, could possibly take a month. :p

10. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I would even take a month, but if he is working VERY HARD during those 2 weeks, I think he can be ready after that.

11. Yetti

Yetti Member

More like FOUR weeks! :p

12. Yetti

Yetti Member

Lets hope so, but it isn't easy to make up for a whole summer and preseason in two weeks! :p

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He doesn't want to be traded, he is making sure the team has no viable trading partners for him......he is no fool.

DD

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yeah I know. But I also know that 2 weeks is a lot. It means 14 days, and if you work hard every single day, you can do A LOT.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

To get to the next level, they need to get rid of Tmac and get someone that isn't injured-prone.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

remember the 6-7 games when he returned from the rest, he put up 21, 7, 7 b/c i'm sure the rest did him some good.

but he probably needed more time to rehab b/c he then just sucked afterward. so hopefully he'll get as much time to rehab as possible.

17. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

im agree. Hopefully tmac return full force. :D

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Typical rookie. Go look at AI's shooting percentage throughout his career.

19. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Then lets get rid of yao too, he is injured-prone, and artest.

20. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

DD is soooooo WRONG