1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hollinger]To Reach the Next Level, the Rockets Need McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by madmonkey37, Jan 14, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Great article!

This game reminds me of Novak's 3pt during the 22 winning streak. Without Tmac's passing, there wouldn't be that 3pt.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Move him to the point.

DD

3. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

With TMac's 1-11 performance we lost to the Lakers 82-111 last time we met.

When was the last time TMac saved us by taking over the game in the fourth?

And please stop saying the BS that if we trade TMac we cannot get equal values back unless we get Wade, Kobe, ...

Last night, with an addition of Artest level player, we could have won despite playing 5 vs 8.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

THANK YOU !!!

That is what I have been saying all along....even without Tmac......with Artest, Brooks, Landry and Wafer, this team is BETTER than last year's team with a healthy Tmac.

There are more options.....many many more......

DD

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

This teams NEEDS T-Mac, maybe not the way he has been playing (this is why he is sitting and working out) but when he is himself, we need him.

Those two weeks should help, why? Because he has looked weak so far this season, especially his legs. He will do a lot of running and things like that. It will help.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If you guys think Artest is at the same level as Tmac, you are insane.

Artest is a good player, very tough. I like him. But, he is not a superstar.

How did he do for the kings last year?!

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No, they do not "NEED" him.....

It would be great to have him...but if you benched Tmac....say he just got benched....it is good enough just adding in Artest to win it all.

TMac is not NEEDED at all......if healthy and motivate he would make the team better....but NEED is an entirely different concept.

The team plays better without him.....they have proven they do not NEED him....

DD

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Who said that? You are missing the point here.

What I am saying - can't speak for others - is that adding a healthy Artest and with the emergence of Brooks, Wafer, Landry, and adding in Barry, this team is good enough to compete THIS YEAR....

Now is that saying they don't want Tracy? No...not at all, but if he is going to sulk, or mope, or not try...they certainly do not need him to compete...they have enough other pieces already.

DD

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

I think the thing everyone is missing is the fact you need Tracy if Tracy can get his head on straight. You need him because there's a lot of other little things he can do that no one on our roster can do. But with the T-Mac that we have right now, we won't get out of the first round.

If Von can get us at least 15 to 18ppg, the Rockets will be a force. I was at the game last night and you can see Von is understanding the game and the offense. He was able to guard Kobe when Shane wasn't in. I'm not saying he can stop Kobe in any means. The problem I had is that they stop going to him. The Lakers weren't doubling him like they did Yao at the end of the game.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Good enough to compete for the title? That's insane! ;)

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

I think DD is trying to make the point that you don't need tracy right now. This team can compete without him right now. They showed it last night. There are other players that can step up. We can't depend on Tracy to get us through everything.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really? They almost beat the Lakers last night...and if you add in Artest and more time for Wafer to fit in...I think they have enough.

Does it mean they will? No....but they are better than last year....IMO.

DD

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

The team is good enough to compete, but not for a championship. Yao is my favorite player in the NBA. Artest has slowly become one of my favorites, as well. T-Mac was one of my favorites but he's lost some of my respect and my trust. Yao and Artest plus our supporting cast is not good enough to beat the Jazz, Spurs, or Lakers in a 7-game series. I hate to say this, but I truly believe this. If we get in the ballpark of equal value for Mac in a trade, then yes. But if we were to, say, suspend Mac for the year, we're not winning a championship, no way.

14. blender

blender Member

Last night, yes. Beat the Lakers (including Vujacic) in a playoff series? Probably not.

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

And that's the moment, when I don't understand you at all...

Do you really think we are contenders with Artest and Yao and without T-Mac? Come on DD, it is ridiculous, just ridiculous.

Tracy has carried this team past 2 seasons. Without him, I am not even sure if we are gonna make the playoffs. But with him being a real T-Mac.

16. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Good article. The basic idea of it is what Ive been thinking all along. We're a very good team as we are right now without TMac. BUT, there's no chance that we get to the finals or really anywhere in the playoffs unless he's in the lineup AND playing atleast at the level he was playing down the stretch last year.

Can he get back to that level? I dunno, but we're going to need him to to be a real contender, because even though he hasn't been extremely clutch the last couple of years for us, he's always willing to create a play down the stretch and usually makes good decisions. That play-making/decision-making was clearly lacking at the end of the Lakers game and I don't see it getting a whole lot better without McGrady.

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets can beat the Jazz and the Spurs. Now the Lakers are a different story.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You can't speak in absolutes.....lots can happen...injuries to other teams key players.....Wafer continuing to grow as a player....lots...

They probably won't be favored with Tmac.....or without him.....

Personally, I hope Tmac takes this as a break upside his head and comes back and plays hard......within the team concept...becuase that is the best case scenario.

But, 11 years in....and he has been called out before and he chose to duck and run instead of coming around...so...we shall see.

DD

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Do I think we are contenders?

Yes....about the same as last year with a healthy Yao.

Do I think we are favorites - No.

DD

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

'almost' is a good word.

I think this is why Hollinger said "to reach the next level, the rockets need McGrady".