1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hollinger: How to fix playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sextuple Double, Jun 11, 2007.

1. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Last years finals were great.

This year just sucks because spurs, and even though lebron has cool commercials he just really isnt that exciting of a basketball player.

Next year will be better hopefully

2. awo86

awo86 Rookie

i'll admit spurs is a problem for ratings, but its also true that people lost interest in the finals because its such a non-competitive series. spurs can easily walk over cleveland if houston can do it as well.

I mean this year is especially worse because cleveland is quite possibly the 4th best team in the mighty east while SA is clearly the#1 team in the league.

stupid frekin stern will never agree to a seeding format of 1-16 in which comference champs would mean virtually nothing, so perhaps he'll listen to hollinger's proposal, to which I wholeheartedly agrees.

3. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Just take the top 8 seeds from each conference. Throw them into a tournament and seed them accordingly. 1-16 and do it like the NCAA. Make the Number One Seed play the Number 16 seed and so on. Problem solved.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

What do the conferences really mean anymore anyway? They're just arbitrary assignments based on a teams geographic location. Its not like either the Eastern or western conference is just going to up and quit one day if they don't like whats going on. Its all the NBA, so it all should be treated the same way.

5. sun12

sun12 Member

If they are so good, they shouldn't have the problem of getting these championships under the new system.

Alas, I bet they won't get it because they won't be that lucky.

6. sun12

sun12 Member

Great? I think it sucked. Referees completely controlled the game.

If I were a referee, I can guarantee a championship for whatever team and my calls will follow the rules actually.

For example, if I want Cavalier to win the next 3 games? easy, just call Duncan 2 quick fouls in the first 3 minutes, that's easy to do. I am pretty sure Duncan will make at least 2 fouls strictly based on the rule, it is a contact sports anyway, but of course in most cases, referees won't call it.

Once Duncan comes back, I will make another quick foul call against him and put him on the bench. If he plays the 3rd quarter and Cavaliers are still behind, I then make another foul call against Duncan, so easyyyyyy. And I will make all the right calls for sure. Oh, then once Cavalier starts leading, I will make some makeup calls, easyyyy, it shows I am unbiased.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Um, anyone else notice how the Rockets were actually the 4th seed?
    That means they would play Chicago instead of miami.

8. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I think Hollinger might be mentally handicapped. Worst (expletive deleted) idea I've ever heard.

9. battousai

battousai Member

I definately think there should be a seeding change in both west and east. I also noticed that the East has won the last 2 out of 3 championships.

However, it could all be a fluke as Western champion has to work extra hard to get there by the time final comes, they are all tired and exhausted. This maybe an excuse, but the ratings for the eastern finals are definately bad and not watchable.

NBA could do something like the NCAA with four regions instead of two. It allows 2 more teams to get a semi championship in their own region and also mix things up a bit.

put the top 4 teams in both east and west in the top seed of each 4 regions. That way you pretty much can guarantee the final 4 teams will be exciting to watch.

Currently these eastern teams were not built to beat every western teams, but instead to beat the eastern teams plus enough depth to out last the western champ.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They should divide the league into two or three levels, like what they do in the soccer world. Include the D-league as the lowest level. Each year, the two worst teams in Division A get demoted to Division B and the best two teams in B get promoted to A. And get rid of the West and East conferences.

Only teams in A compete for the real championship. And only teams in A can participate in the lottery. That would make the playoffs much more competitive. And it would get rid of tanking too. Refs could be promoted or demoted according to their performance.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I doubt they would ever really think about this...BUT what if they dropped East/West and went with an AFC-AL/NFC=NL format. That negate the effect of one region of the country being more attractive to free agents.
    Conference 1
    New York
    Boston
    Toronto
    Detroit
    Miami

Indiana
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    Chicago
    San Antonio

Seattle
    Phoenix
    Clippers
    Sacramento
    Denver

Conference 2
    Philadelphia
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Washington
    Orlando

Milwaukee
    Atlanta
    Minnesota
    Memphis
    Charlotte

Portland
    Lakers
    Golden State
    Houston
    Utah

Not the greatest idea considering the AFC and AL are both much stronger than their respected counterparts.

#31 Brando2101, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  12. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I wonder how this would affect the TV ratings in the East coast. After the first round, there would be no East fans to root for a home team.

I guess the East coast could have Desperate Housewives reruns while the West has the real playoffs?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You don't root for your region. You root for you team. If your team sucks, it doesn't matter if the teams in your region are playing.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I find it funny
    people screamed for more TEAM BALL
    Tired of the ONE MAN TEAMS
    well. . .. the spurs are the Epitome of TEAM BALL
    and
    now everyone is saying it is BORING

Be careful what you wish for

Rocket River

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I know a lot of people who root for Texas. In fact, I'm one of them. I always root for Texas in the playoffs (though I did root for the Suns over the Spurs).

[​IMG]

And if the Rockets can't win it, go other Texas team!

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If the east sucks so bad -- how have they won 2 out of the last 3 -->?

17. Bookit

Bookit Member

The east has a much easier road to the finals wouldn't you say. A trip through the West and you are beating the Spurs, Phoenix, or Dallas.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Last year the Mavs beat Memphis, San Antonio, and a Amare-less Suns team.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Because being a horrible conference doesn't preclude a singular team from being good enough to win the title. Besides, seven of nine is probably more indicative of the balance of power post-lockout than two of three.

It's not that the Spurs are that boring - it's watching them dismantle a team clearly their inferior that's boring.