1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holic wins, Rockets sign Anthony Bennet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Aspiring Player

I know exactly how tough it is. I'm working towards big goals myself. Honestly, I'd bet on myself over him.

We'll see if Bennett has what it takes to still earn my respect.

2. BreakYoSelfFool

This video has me extra fired up! I like that this was highlights just from one game, it shows he can sustain a high level of play. His game has definitely improved and fits perfectly with Harden & Westbrook if you ask me. Impressive that he was able to change his form and now his shot seems pure, much different than earlier videos. At first I thought his release was way too slow, but after further review seems like he just takes more time on the wide open 3s which is not a bad thing. On the more contested shots (end portion of the video), he was able to get off the shot quicker with still good form and releases fairly quickly. If he focuses only on Pick n Roll/Pop he could get so many lobs and open 3s. Basically the same shot he repeatedly knocked down in the highlights. Also, found this article talking about this game and how the coaches in LA were impressed with Bennett's work ethic. If this guy is working hard, and he will be successful. I think that its a shame that every video and article of him has to be prefaced with "former 1st overall pick", but I think he has embraced it and may be better because of it.

The ceilings on this guy are crazy, with hard work I could see him reaching the level of guys like Glenn Robinson, Boris Diaw, and Antione Walker. Keep in mind Diaw is the only one of those guys who really set picks. I think this signature Diaw play would be nice also with Westbrook:

The good news is we don't need him to play at the level of Glenn Big Dog Robinson for us to be a great team. If he could be peak Terrance Jones/Young Marcus Morris level with a 3pt shot, he could start and be our PF of the future.

Hakeemtheking, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's the historical review; if it were to be that he has matured and wants, really wants, this op then Yes, sir! However, I'm at the Mizzou, 'Show me' level and will remain there until 'shown' otherwise. I'm rootrootrootin' for the guy. Of course.

BaselineFade, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m glad we got him and that he is never crying like a sucker cause his nba career wasn’t great
    He kept working

JayGoogle, alethios, smoothie and 3 others like this.
  5. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

How can this many scouts, especially experts, be wrong about this guy as the #1 overall? Maybe they saw a work ethic that would pan out. He is Zion Williamson unrealized possibly....

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I didn't know until this post that it was Bargnani all along.

cmlmel77 and daywalker02 like this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They've been wrong many times before. I actually think they are wrong with Zion.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You know Bennett was crying at some point during his rock bottom moment, he just didn't invite cameras to watch.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well first of all nobody except the Cavs had him no 1, the "conventional wisdom" had him no 4.

Secondly scouting can only predict talent, they can't predict growth and work ethic like when you are comparing Benett vs Kawhi Leonard as draft prospects Benett goes first every single time because when you look back at history the Harison Barnes and Tristan Thompsons have turned out better than Luc Mbah Moutes and Michael Kidd Gilchrists.

It's really hard to predict how prospects will handle the NBA I mean Kawhi couldn't score well vs college competition after 1 year of training under Popovich he was one of the most efficient players in the NBA. Bennett had all the makings of being solid nba player his skills as is were already good enough to be at worst a bench player in the NBA suddenly he became the league's biggest bust in history. The way players turn out tend to defy expectations, logic and scouting models that's gems always slip through the cracks and busts are always taken in the lotto.

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The one redeeming deal is that he is STILL playing at 26, so that is a good sign.

DD

leebigez and xiki like this.
  11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Not 100% sure, but I think he was on my flight back to Houston last night from Toronto.

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

A big man who can shoot is what the Rockets have needed for a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they've had this since Patrick Patterson.

13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Ryno?

Pringles, BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Patsquatch wasn't a shooter with us. His first 2 seasons, he took a few 3s all year. His 3rd (partial) season with us, he took about 2 per game. Which by Houston Rockets standards is very close to no 3 attempts at all.

Overall, he attempted 0.6 3s per game as a Rocket. So I'd not count him as a "big man who can shoot."

hakeem94, topfive and D-rock like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This still does not make him a bonafide NBA player.

topfive and BaselineFade like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Apparently Bennett is an asthmatic like Harden.

If I'm Maori, I'm going to do my best to make the following two things happen:

1. Get James and Russ in Bennett's ear. Those guys have two of the very best work ethics in the entire league, and his odds for success will go up drastically if he learns to emulate them.

2. Schedule some one-on-one footwork sessions with Dream and hope some of that ninja/samurai mindset rubs off on him.

17. BasketballMind

It doesn't matter how many seasons he wasn't shooting threes if he was the last big man (PF/C) for the Rockets who could should threes. Why would I not count him if he could shoot threes? You even said "his first two seasons, he took few 3s all year." So you're saying he can shoot. How many he attempted per game whichever season doesn't mean he couldn't shoot. He would have shot way more threes if he were playing in this system. These are the Rockets standards NOW, not then, so those stats are meaningless.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well if not actually shooting threes doesn't disqualify someone from the discussion of a big who could shoot threes, then the answer is Isaiah Hartenstein from last year.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  19. BasketballMind

Thank you. Much better response. This was my post: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they've had this since Patrick Patterson." All that **** you said was unnecessary.

#339 BasketballMind, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  20. BasketballMind

Well is he? I didn't include him because I don't qualify him as a big (center). But why is it that people responding have to act so damn boogie? If you think Ryno was the last big who can shoot, then by all means, say that ****. I clearly said "correct me if I'm wrong."