1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

hold thy tongue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

Hehe funny that you say that.. But did you know CD was struck by lightning while playing with Rudy T. And because of it he is almost fully blind in one eye and has bad vision on the other.. Just FYI :)

2. tested911

tested911 Member

I meant to say while playing Golf with Rudy T.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

There is something called respect. You know, you don't have to like someone to give respect to them.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

shut up b****

tee hee.

no kam, you're so right, I liked eddie was happy when he was aquired, was pissed to see him waste his talent, and I almost cried yesterday when I heard the news.

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Shouldnt this be in the feed-back section?

6. Panda

Panda Member

We distinguish between hating a player and a person. Only rare exceptions to this: Karla.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

By the way Denniscd, When it comes to a guy playing basketball and who he is as a person are 2 different things.

Matt Maloney was a terrible PG, but I havent met a nicer guy than him .....so therefore I trash his game, and praise his person.

If he died in the morning, he is not remembered by his game, but for who he is as a person.

And in regards to Eddie, we could chose to remember his downfalls, or we can remember the positive things about him.

Most of us chose the high-road, only a few who lacked wisdom, or civility took the long low road.....

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hey, if you think this is bad, try living in Philly !

9. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

This kind of "holier than thou" crap is really annoying. It's like denniscd needs the approval from someone more popular than him. Who cares what anyone says about someone. Eddie Griffin was a dumbass. He drank, he drove, he masturbated. Was it funny? Yes. Was it sad? Yes. Now that the guy is dead people are naturally going to feel sorry for everyone that knew the guy and for his family. Who gives a crap how many people cursed him when he used to take 17 three pointers a game? You're trying to act as if you're a wise man, the most dignified poster to ever grace this message board, when really you're just another nobody with a keyboard.

Lets talk Rockets and leave the guilt trips somewhere else.

10. cmellon

cmellon Member

Yeah, it's Vasillis "T-Mac in Greece" Spanoulis. Oh wait, he is gone too.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some folks have touched on this already. There are generally two groups with opposite opinions on every subject. When something happens to bolster one position, that position's partisans speak up and the opposition says nothing. When events swing the other way, the guys who were crowing shut up and the people who were silent speak up. Because readers can't keep up with the positions of the hundreds of people here, they just keep track of the feel of the board, which seems to go whatever way the wind blows, even though the individual members don't change their positions (mostly, I'm theorizing).

Steve Francis is the best example, I think. After he left, the treatment he got here would have you think he was reviled by the population at large. It seemed like pgabriel was the only person who still liked him. Then, when he came back, there were a ton of people so happy to have him back. Where were they? They mostly kept their mouths shut in all the Francis-bashing threads. After all, Francis wasn't giving them a lot of material to work with.

Of course, I think there is more individual flip-flopping in Eddie's case. I'm sure there are plenty of people who were running him down who are nevertheless sad he has died. But, when he was getting criticized earlier, posters who didn't agree didn't have anything to defend Eddie with because he wasn't playing well, so they had to be quiet. It isn't necessarily that people are more callous on the web, but that there is an assymetric polarity in place: people in an out-of-the-money position say nothing instead of countering their opposition (except pgabriel).

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this is a matter of flip flopping about Eddie Griffin. I think most people still think he was a dissapointment and basketball but are reacting to the tragedy of someone dying young under sad circumstances. I don't think Eddie Griffin's death changes anyone's opinion about his basketball career.

13. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I post under my real name for this reason.

If everyone used their real name instead of hiding behind a moniker I think most things internet would be much kinder - but there would also probably be less spice as people would be more reluctant to post honest thoughts.

If you are going to hide behind a nickname and post what you did in the thread opener I would certainly suggest putting a mirror on top of your monitor.

Honesty and respect is at a premium on the internet super highway. I call it binary road rage.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Steve Francis rejoice was also because our PG situation has sucked .

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This thread is like something out of "1984," or the current Bush administration. The psychological term projection definitely applies. Denniscd has gone out of his way to bash Eddie Griffin's basketball abilities in a thread announcing his death and then starts a thread denouncing the lack of civility of the internet...wow. :eek: This is the same guy who has bashed Carroll Dawson left and right in the most demeaning fashion, yet he's complaining about the tone of the internet. Jesus.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

de mortuis nihil nisi bene

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Flip-flopping was probably a bad word choice. I just mean that many people offering condolences now had bashed EG previously. I don't mean to suggest they've changed their opinions, only that individual moods expressed have changed.

BrockStapper, that's your real name? I always assumed it was a handle (or your p*rn star name).

18. flipster

flipster Member

yeah it very rude if you start talking bad about someone who past away... i remember i read this article and it about a close friend that died from a drive by.. . A student from our highschool wrote this article and said all these rude things about him but clearly stated that he didn't know my friend...

basically all i'm saying it hurts when you lose someone already.. it will hurt more if you happen to come upon something that said something bad about the one you loved... so i guess Most people know that and say good things

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly.

The Steve Francis thing works the other way too. I am in the anti-Steve Francis camp but I haven't posted much about it because there is nothing to complain about. So far he has pretty much done and said the right things. And hey, maybe it will work out.

It's the nature of message boards. Do we really want people to just post nice, boring crap?