1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

hold thy tongue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I feel the same way

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its about putting things in perspective and context. In the context of a basketball player, and a teammate, Eddie Griffin totally screwed our team. But as a human being, I feel bad that someone felt so bad about their life despite all their blessings, that they he had to take their own life.

I know there are a lot of people at work that I rather not deal with because they are either jerks or useless, but I would feel bad for them if they lost their jobs and couldn't take care of their families.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

it's just basketball.

life is life.

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

I understand what he says...thats actually one of the first thoughts that came to mind when i read that EG had died...all i could think of was how everyone almost everyone bashed the guy...but it is the nature of forums and the internet and i doubt it will change..

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

the bottom line is this: it's easier to bag on people and poke fun than to struggle through the hard times and look at the bright side. or to accept failures.

call it as silly as you want, but it's been my experience in life that most people in this world choose to have that "negative" disposition.

it's easy.

i wish this board were a little more objective. ya we're all rockets fans. but some of you should really hear yourselves sometimes... try reading what you write with an objective eye. you'd be surprised.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it's a good point.

But yeah, it's the way a lot of people will always be..

In this case, sometimes because people just don't want to speak ill of the dead. But as you said, in a case like Juwan's, there's no apparent reason..

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Can someone summaries for me? Its too long.
    Anyway, its human nature that we root for the guys we like, and bash the guys we do not like, thats how forums started, a place to place your views.

But we are all humans who do not wish the worst for others, thats why we feel sad for the people that got in a car crash even thou we do not know them,

BTW, Alvin Choo is the name, i never hide under a nick name.

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

To be honest, I see hypocrisy in this thread. In the EG's death thread, everyone know who cares more about basketball than a 25-year old kid who lost his life. With his consistent CD brashing, he probably created this thread after struck by lightening.

9. First Lady

First Lady Member

I understand where you're coming from. But I have plenty a friends who despised Juwan whole-heartedly when he was here. Now that he's gone, he's no longer part of our worries, so we wish him well.. as such any fan would with class.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

With a name like that, you should.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mean do you don't like read?
    i guess that's why you keep pulling false info out of your rear.
    do you even know who Eddie Griffin was?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

qft .

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You need to get some balls and stop taking things so damn personaly. It is "OK" to disagree with someone. Let me repeat: It is OK to disagree with someone. If you get called out on your opinions then have the balls to back it up.

Argue and make your point, but don't come on here with your 9-page article about how you got picked on, This is a Rockets forum for Rockets debate, and lets keep it that way... I wouldnt have
    it any other way.

Here is your quote:
    "Anyone that questions anything I say or believe or anyone that counters anything I claim to be true no matter how factually incorrect, no matter how outlandish, no matter how obviously full of BS is nothing but a nut job or a freak or a commie or a queer or an idiot or a loser or a sack rider or (fill in any racist term thinkable) or whatever other pathetic self-deemed "scientific term" they can apply to anyone that doesn't live in the world of 1984 like they do."

Can you see the wrong in that viewpoint???
    The beauty of this forum is the wide range of opinion, It keeps everyone including myself grounded. An opinion is like a craphole, everyone has one...

#33 RudyTBag, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  14. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

ditto...without the fans support the team will fail!

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm tough on and off line and will take all you wusses on anywhere anytime!
    :p ;)

Seriously though there is no reason to get wound up and take things personally here on the GARM. We're passionate about basketball and particularly about Rockets' basketball so we will bag on players and coaches when they do a bad job but at the same time most of us can recognize they are people too and feel bad when a tragedy happens to them.

At the sametime as passionate basketball fans we like to talk about the game and occasionally get heated when someone disagrees with us. Internet anonymity or not I don't think we should forget that there is a person behind the screen name.

16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

I think most the board is mature enough to realize there is a difference between basketball and real life. We come here because we are hard core basketball fans and when life intervenes we act like humans. We also generally all have the same goal, for the Rockets to win a championship. We commend players that made an attempt at that.

Was eddie Griffin a great talent, sure. Did he underultize it and did that end up costing us alot? definately.

But when a train runs someone over, you find something nice to say about them. ( i got him to average a double double in my NBA live franchise mode once)

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there's nothing wrong with criticizing someone's crappy play.

it's unfortunate that his life ended the way it did, but it doesn't change my mind about him sucking hard at basketball.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

denniscd-

I think in the case of Eddie Griffin, people have said positive things about him because he was obviously a troubled soul (I mean, read any of the editorial pieces about him yesterday) and he died a HORRIFIC death.

I stated in the thread that I never respected him because he beat a woman, and I still feel that way. However, he didn't deserve a death like that and his life seems to be a sad one, despite the money and fame.

As far as Juwan goes, I don't think many here hated him personally, just hated his weak rebounding and poor defense. Now that he's gone, we wish him well. We don't want him back as a Rocket, but he wasn't a bad person.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Since this has turned into a nickname bashing fest, I for one would like to defend the practice, at least on this board. I think if someone is passionate enough to go through all the trouble to follow this site daily when nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is actually going on with the Rockets at this point in time, then maybe they will not let their tongues run haphazard over the site, partly because they have the decency not to do so and partly because admins can punish them if they cross the line. I hope I don't speak for myself when I say that there's nothing on this board that I've posted that I wouldn't say in a real life conversation as well.

That said, I still plan to put a giant bullseye on Bonzi, Francis, James, and other potential cancers if their performance is not up to par this year. They're professional athletes, they make millions; and part of their job is to deal with media and fan scrutiny, not because they deserve it or because we can do better than what they're doing, but because that's their job.

20. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

You have to take about 85% of what is said on these boards, especially in the actual sports forums, with a grain of salt. Obviously, almost anybody who is bashing some rockets player on the board would not go up to them and say the exact same thing in person. But thats the great thing about the bbs: you can say whatever you want.