1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HOF] Warren Moon

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Austin70, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I was there too, they lost against the Bengals IIRC.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i had just graduated from college. i woke up that day and convinced my father to go out there with me. it was like a funeral. the only comparable time i felt like that at a sporting event was being there at the last game before the MLB strike in 1994.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

com on, the only reason those receivers are know, specifically hill, givens, and jefferies, is because they played in the system like moon. gary brown had one good year. slaughter didn't do anything in houston, typical oiler free-agent, see wilbur marshall.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lorenzo white, let's be serious.

5. Poloshirtbandit

I was at that game too. Didn't know about it until we were listening to the post game show on the radio and they asked callers not to talk about it.

6. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

may i ask what punch are you talking about?

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Buddy Ryan, the Oilers Defensive Coordinator punched Kevin Gilbride, the Oilers Offensive Coordinator, on the sidelines on National TV during the game.

Buddy was never a big fan of he "Chuck and Duck" offense

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i wish the texans were named the oilers.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Drew Hill, Ernest Givins, and Haywood Jeffires all made multiple Pro Bowls. Slaughter made 2 Pro Bowls, including 1 with Houston. That was really a quality wide receiving core, to go with an outstanding offensive line and a Hall of Famer QB. Too bad the defense couldn't stop anyone when it counted (despite some quality players like Chris Dishman, William Fuller and Sean Jones).

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Those receivers were quality. They didn't suck, but none of them were great. When you compare the offesnive talent Moon had to other top QB's his help looks shabby:

Montana (Craig, Rice, Taylor, whoever the TE was)
    Young (Rice, Watters, whoever the TE was)
    Elway (Sharpe, Smith, T.Davis)
    Marino (the triplets, but even if ya wanna say he didn't have a lot he also had playoff failures)
    Farve (Sharpe, whoever the RB was, whoever the TE was)
    Aikman (Irvin, Smith, Novacek)
    Bradshaw (everyone, lol)

Moon had some solid receivers help here, but all the other studs had a HOF'er helping out. The only studs Moon had were on the offensive line, and that still didn't prevent him from getting killed every game since we didn't have a TE.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Moon had more talent around him than Marino EVER did. I'm not a Marino fan at all..but that guy had very little to work with throughout his career.

Moon had tons more talent than Elway did up until the time Sharpe, Smith and T. Davis came on board. Remember he beat the Oilers in 91 and took the Broncos to two super bowls before those guys were with him.

14. Poloshirtbandit

I never got what lead up to that? They were pretty much in control the entire game if I remember right.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

mark clayton and mark duper would run circles around any oiler receiver core.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not sure what your point is. Someone said he wishes Moon had as many weapons to throw to as Carr. I said Moon had plenty of weapons. I didn't say they were hall of famers, just good weapons. System or no system. They're certainly better than Billy Miller or Jabar Gaffney.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

yeah, and rather than sit on the ball to run out the first half clock, gilbride had moon sling it all over the place and the team either was forced to punt or turned it over with time left on the clock and marcus robinson (iirc) wound up getting hurt on the jets' final hail mary play of the half.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't see you were responding to carr vs. moon but my point was those guys weren't "great" which is what you wrote.

davis is arguably a better running back than moon ever played with for an extended period, and andre johnson is a better receiver than moon ever played with, but the offensive line is the difference. they were great.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

givins was great; absolutely, positively fearless and made plays after the catch often; lightening speed, terrific vision. drew hill was consistently consistent. in their primes, they'd both qualify as "great" on any given team. no question about it.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You could almost say he his speed would burn you. He was on fire; flaming, if you will.