1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HK] Foreigners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Nov 24, 2011.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

So there is a chance that my fiance is going to Hong Kong to be a professor. Not sure if I can get a job there. Anyone knows how it works? Can I stay there as long as I want as long as she is there? My boss said it's possible that I can work remotely there. So I would still be working for my current company here. Thanks.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wait, are you an American? or are you from the mainland?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

smog over there is killer

4. yuantian

I can go as either mainlander or American.

5. sinobball

sinobball Member

I take it that means no Chinese passport?

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Did u give up ur chinese passport when you moved over to America?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Hong Kong blows. Had to spend 6 months there, terrible air quality, mediocre food and horrendous traffic. Still better than China's mainland which is probably the worst place on the planet I have had to live... just a terrible place in virtually every facet of life.

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Couldn't disagree with Nook more. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was a great time. I'm sure living there is different, but I liked it. Really crowded, but then what major city isn't?

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/

yuantian, check the link above which pretty much contains all the information you need.

The air pollution conditions improved a quite a bit this year. The past summer has to be the best amongst the ten years, IMO.

The food is great in Hong Kong, you just have to pop into the right restaurant.

You don't have to worry about the traffic either. The mass transit systems here in HK are matured, safe and efficient. Unless you have a problem traveling with the public, commuting in HK is very convenient.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

I know it's your opinion, and you have every right to it, but... dude, re-read his post... his FIANCé just got a job there and he's following her there... it's either going to work and they're going to make Hong Konese babies in the future, or it's not going to work and he'll stay in HK or come back to the 'States... but... I don't see how you can just come out of nowhere and say "it sucks" like that... :grin: he was only asking about working situations...

... or, are you somehow trying to prevent him from going there? :eek:

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

It HAS to be better than Mexico in every way so that's a positive.

:grin:

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I thought Mainland (Shanghai) is pretty good. Amazing Chinese food (seriously, Chinese people in America get excited if there's one decent real Chinese restaurant in some cities). Shopping is really good too, and the population is actually very fashion forward. Really good subway system, which I'll take over driving on the I-10 during rush hour. Bad air quality and the fact that it's now super expensive to live brings it down a notch, but there are still a ton of perks with living in China.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

Pros: Food, shopping, entertainment, nightlife. You get it all in HK.

Cons: It's not a friendly city. HK people have sort of a shield around themselves in pubic. They won't smile or acknowledge you at all. Sometimes people live next to each other for years and had a meaningful conversation besides standard pleasantries.

When I bring my daughter to various playgrounds in the US, I'll always strike up a conversation with another parent, it's just something natural. I've done this in some of the unfriendliest cities in the US: NYC, Boston, LA. In HK I was not able to do this an in fact it is very rare. You have people living in the same condo complex with the same aged children playing at the same playground everyday, and they do not know each other at all. Something in that coldness bothers me.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Couldn't disagree with Nook and Wakko more because I've never been there.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

are you sure it isnt second hand cigarette smoke that is the real killer?

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree about the traffic but I don't know what you were eating there but Hong Kong is one of the best culinary cities in the world. Its not just Cantonese food either, you can get almost any kind of food in Hong Kong.

The air quality is hit and miss. My dad lives by Clear Water Bay so most of the time I in Hong Kong I am there. The air quality is much better there than in Kowloon or HK Island.

17. yuantian

thanks guys. certainly some good information here. i have been to HK before for about a week. it was way too hot for me as i am used to upper midwest weather.

she is a mainlander, but the school will take care of her visa and stuff. with american passport, i am worried about that i won't be able to easily find any job. i would be essentially giving up my career. not sure if i can 100% work remotely for my current job either.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2010-09-24-hongkongsmog24_ST_N.htm