1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

History of Clutchcity.net April Fools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by firecat, Apr 1, 2004.

1. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

It didn't get me this year because I was looking for it. But what are your memories through the years of Clutch's jokes?

I think that most of us was the day that we turned to the dark side. People say that they'll always remember where they were and what they were doing when Kennedy was shot, but I'll always remember that moment when I went to the front page of my favorite web site and saw the end of the world. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

That was definitely the most memorable.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the Spurs joke.

Yeah that one got me as well. I was furious:mad: until I found out it was a joke.

3. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

Yes I was talking about the Spurs joke. I meant to put that in there.

4. noize

noize Contributing Member

What was the spurs joke that some people are bringing up?

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Clutch turned the entire site into SpursFan.com. It was complete and elaborate.

The kicker was the list of headlines about Spurs and Spur news items. The first letter of each story spelled out "April Fool"

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My favorite one was Rudy stepping down to take over at Michigan. It's the only one I fell for. I was so happy only to find out minutes later it was a joke :mad: Totally forgot it was April Fools.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

That's the one I remember best.

8. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

My favorite and the one that nearly gave me a heartattack was the one where it had Hakeem following Drexler into retirement.

Looking back, it might not have been a bad idea actually, lol ... but that one was really stunning.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I fell for the Spurs one, Rudy leaving, and Yao getting hurt. This year I was on the lookout.

10. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Part of every April 1st for the last 7 years has been spent on Clutch City. While I have loved every single one of the stories, the ESBN articles about Hakeem leaving the team and Rudy going back to Michigan are among my personal favorites. However, many of you remember the Spurs site that was created a few years back. I remember that what made that joke so cruel was in the weeks preceeding the joke, there were rumors that the butt fungus who was actually running a Spurs site (Rusty?) was going to sue Clutch for stealing his script code (or something along those lines). For that one, I even had to change my name to Coyote, as the BBS was in such an uproar about what was going on. Good times as always, keep it up!

<i>-Coyote</i>

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If I remember correctly there one about how Stevie was demanding a trade .....

It's ironic that people then were so upset because we were going to lose our franchise player, but if that was todays april fool's joke people would just be upset because it wasnt true.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, I fell for that one....IIRC.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

That one had me going for a while too.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Spurscity.net one was the only one that got me. He changed the format of the site and everything, I doubt it will ever be topped. I remember I was so pissed off.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Which clutch April fools did you fall hardest for??

Me personally, I was in college and faithfully check cluthcity every morning, and one morning I found a Spurs site!

Man that pissed me off all day, didn’t get back on for like a week and found out it was all a big joke!

Every since then, I don’t take anything seriously here on April 1st. any other stories out there of embarrassment?
    :confused:

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I fell for the Spurs bit as well. I think I even emailed Clutch about it. I was pissed.

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I fell for "Hakeem Taken off 50 Greatest Player List". I was mad.

that was one, wasn't it?

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

This is the first one I've seen but I didn't bite because of all the talk about an April Fools prank. The last couple of months someone would bring it up in some random thread, it kind of ruined it for me.

The Spurs prank sounds like a good one. The Rudy prank would have made me mad.

Edit -

When was the Rudy and Spurs prank??

#18 Blatz, Apr 1, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  19. Isabel

Isabel Member

Yep.

The others... Rudy T steps down ('97?), Hakeem retires or gets traded ('98? anyway, long before it actually happened), the Spurs fan site (best ever - I think it was '99)

Somewhere in between, there was Hakeem being taken off the list, Steve demanding a trade?, and the one about Rudy coaching at Michigan. I'm pretty sure those were '00-'02. Then Yao getting hurt ('03), and Patrick Ewing ('04).

(Keep up the great work Clutch... especially the "real"-looking news sites. Thanks for giving us something to look forward to every year!)

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I remeber that one. I went to the bbs and there were sooo much threads about how stupid it is that they can add or drop people from the top 50. Good times.