1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hindu Professor's Book on Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomer83, Mar 29, 2006.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no you didnt nor did i say you did. i was asking a question because i really dont know. but samar pretty much explained exactly what i was asking.

obviously though religion pisses you off pretty quickly.

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

God speaks to me, so I guess I'm a prophet too.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Muhammed certainly did exist, that's never been in question. What people differ over (naturally) is his 'status'; same thing with Jesus.

Very interesting reading...so I guess my question is to those who are more informed about Hinduism than I am: does the holy book of Hundus REALLY describe Avatar in that fashion? If so, it's amazing since the Hindu religion has been around longer than Islam has.

Mind-blowing stuff especially since it's coming from a Hindu scholar...

4. droxford

droxford Member

Nah. Not pissed off.

I'm just getting preachy. I'll shut up now.

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Based on the post here, I think one would have to be searching with a foregone conclusion to make Mohammed fit those criteria.

6. tigermission1

How so? According to this reputed Hindu scholar, those are facts mentioned in the Hindu holy books.

What would be the Hindu scholar's motivation to "make Mohammed fit those criteria"?

#26 tigermission1, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Care to explain?

8. Cohen

#1 is the outcome that one is trying to prove. So it's meaningless, unless you starting from the viewpoint of what I said...a foregone conclusion. Just mentioning that is what make me feel that this was not performed w/o bias.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dont you find it ironic that a devout HINDU is starting out with that outcome? If anything, should he not be biased AGAINST this?

I could see your point if a muslim was doing this.

Remember you brought the bias thing up.

#29 Zboy, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm guessing this scholar is saying that Muhammed is an avatar of Vishnu like Krishna and Rama. I'm not too up on the avatars of Vishnu but from my understanding some Hindus have claimed Sakyamuni Buddha and even Jesus as being avatars of Vishnu based on similar evidence. This has caused some friction between Buddhists and Hindus since the presumption is that the historic Buddha is part of the Hindu Pantheon and even a sub deity compared to the triumverate of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma. By also claiming Muhammed that would also allow Hinduism to make a claim to Islam.

Perhaps someone who's a Hindu could shed more light on this.

11. Cohen

I don't care what religion he is. I'm looking at the arguments as presented here. The first argument makes me question his objectivity. (Can you think of any reason why a Hindu would wabt a reconciliation with Islam?)

I wonder whether this is really a good synopsis of his arguments; it doesn't sound like the work of an objective academic.

12. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

This is only an abstract, with several points, he has written a whole book on it, but I have not been able to locate one, as I really want to read it. I dont believe it is available for sale in the US yet, nor do I think it has been published in English yet. But if I found out where his publication is available I will post it.

It is available in India right now, and has created a lot of hype.

13. tigermission1

Why? What supporting evidence do you have that impeaches his objectivity?

Are you just presuming that he has a 'bias' or an 'agenda' that he's hiding? If so, please let me know what it is, because I can't see it.

His conclusions might be wrong or arguable, that's a different story, that's why I am waiting for someone knowledgeable enough about the Hindu religion to let us know why he/she agrees or disagrees with the author, and provide supporting evidence.

14. Cohen

Thanks. Pls share if you do locate it.

15. Cohen

uh huh

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Once again elborate please. You are not bringing anything here other than "He is not being objective here." and that he has some hidden agenda here. How do you know this?? Can you back it up?

I am not defending him. I need to do research on my own. I am just critisizing your method of disregarding it.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Why are you assuming that he wants a recounciliation with Islam? Why couldnt he be just connecting to something? Or looking for his own truths? Or analyzing 2 religions he has been exposed to perhaps?

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I donno if its the same guy or not, but some other hindu pundit converted to islam due to the same findings in the vedas, and he has many tapes(cd's) regarding the mention of Muhammad (pbuh) in the hindu books. They call him Ahmed Pundit.

I dunno if its true or not, but its still interesting
    some muslims say that Hinduism may have had a prophet sent to them (way back when), and they have just deviated from the original teachings, ala christianity, and judaisim.

and im surprised this isnt in the d&d yet.