1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hindsight: Did Morey make the right choice in choosing Dwight Howard over all other issues with the

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, May 5, 2014.

?

What would you have done last offseason?

1. Still have signed Dwight, knowing the cost at other areas

121 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. Kept Asik as starting center. Upgrade elsewhere

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. If Morey truly is a genius, could've done both. Perhaps not asked for so much for Asik in trades

14 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey had a choice last offseason. He could've chosen

A. Sign Dwight Howard and keep McHale(who was part of luring Howard to the team), and give up any semblance of a bench by not having money left over.

or

B. Use cap space to shore up depth to the team. Sign several mid-level players, and perhaps not have McHale connected to the team. Leave Asik as the starting center. They could've signed JJ Reddick, Randy Foye, and JJ Hickson, for example. Not saying those are my picks, but that would be the range of signings the Rockets could've afforded.

One year later, do you think Morey made the correct decision? It's clear that at the very least, the Rockets lack of depth was a key part of why we failed against the Blazers. Better shooting and defense could've certainly helped. OTOH, well, Dwight Howard is still Dwight Howard.

As for me, upon some time for reflection, I still stand by my preseason opinion that this year is kind of a throwaway year for the Rockets in terms of contending in order to sign Dwight. Doesn't mean I can accept losing to the Blazers in the first round. I'm still not over this loss. But I think overall this year more or less went what I thought, even with the huge disappointment at the end.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Dwight was by far our best player in the playoffs. Yes, the right decision was made.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

No other player in FA could have put the team on their backs during the playoffs like Dwight did. If we had "roll-players" instead of Dwight, Rockets 1)might have missed the playoffs with such a stacked west this year 2)If they did make the playoffs, would not have had home court advantage and 3)more than likely would have been swepted

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the choice is Howard vs. a bunch of JJ Hickson/Randy Foye caliber backups, the answer is so Howard it's not even Howard.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

When's superstar like Dwight is available you pull the trigger without hesitation, Lorry did it right. We still have time to acquire other pieces later.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

*Morey, not Lorry. damn phone

7. mesta

mesta Member

do you realize that getting Howard is only the second phase of morey's plan, the final phase is to flip Asik + other players for a third star. the first round lost made me unsure the plan will really work out.
    However, i think noah's knee surgery make melo thinks twice before choosing bulls over rockets

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Howard is by far the right choice and there is no other sane option that would have been better.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What is this? I don't even. When you get the chance at Dwight Howard without giving up any assets, you do it 100 out of 100 times. Even though we lost, we are building toward contender status. That would not be the case if we got mid-level players.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Of course you sign Howard. No brainer

11. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Dwight's a great player, no question about it, but our offense had to change to accommodate him. I feel that the offense needs a lot of work in having an identity.

I'm not feeling the 4th quarter posts up in crunch time. Maybe if you do some of that and mix it up with kick outs and PNR, but I just can't stand doing only that where everyone stands around and it becomes predictable for the opponents to defend...

12. passdarock

passdarock Member

Was it Morey's decision to sign Dwight?

or

Dwight's decision to sign with the Rockets?

Personally, I think this was Dwight's decision to sign with the Rockets, not Morey's.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

In game six against the blazers, with one minute and twenty five seconds left in the game, Howard missed two free throws, and the Rockets lose the game by one point.

The rockets already had a center on the roster that could rebound, play defense, and miss free throws. By not signing Howard the Rockets could have spent twenty million dollars on several solid players to strengthen the PF spot and the bench.

I'm going to have to withhold judgment on how beneficial it was in choosing Dwight until after Morey has completely built the team he is dreaming of. After Lin and Asik are gone, Morey will be able to add a third star player, or surround Howard and Harden with a real supporting cast where all the pieces fit together.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, 79.7% sanity in the GARM lifts my spirits actually. :)

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Cant believe this is being asked.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He didn't just not sign role players, he jettisoned other contributors like Morris and Patterson to get there. And yes, he did the right thing. He's still a demi-god.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lorre, please!

[​IMG]
    "Yessss, master. Pieces! We shall have PIECES! Yessss!"

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think this is a question that both answers of whether he Howard signing was the best desicions are right.

Signing Howard was definitely a great move. Even though our offense had to change, players had to adjust and there were some pains, there is no disputing that Howard is the best center in the NBA. Anytime you can add the best player at a position, you do it. No questions asked.

But if we went another route, forgoing Howard to fill out the roster is also appealing. What of we did what the Warriors did? Sign Iggy and some pretty good bench guys? Iggy fits our system well and he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. Then with leftover money we could sign other roster needs. Honestly after last season, I felt better about going this route. After the 2013 season, all we needed was a solid PF, someone to play good perimeter defense and some shooters. Asik was/is a top 5-10 center so why go after the best center when we could fill out our needs.

But at the end of the day, we signed Howard, who chose us above anywhere else. We were the best fit for him and he to us. Even though our season ended way soone than expected, I'm not ready to call the Howard-Harden duo a failure. Harden, who has made huge steps in being the alpha guy this season, still has plenty of room to grow in a leadership and as an overall player. And our roster still has a lot of changes to be made. Having two without a doubt superstar players in Howard and Harden help make changes better and faster.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Dwight and it's not even close.

Use this offseason to shore up depth. We should have the MLE and LLE to use, plus I think trades are easier done during the offseason. Will be interested to see what he is able to do with the Lin and Asik contracts.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You definitely sign a player like Howard when you can. Any superstar max player is good value asset.

However, this team does not fit well together because we have too many redundant parts.

1. We have two ball dominating guards. So you have to put one on the bench and start a PG who is not a good play maker and is only an okay shooter.

2. We have two starting centers. So you have to put one on the bench to make him unhappy.

3. We have two promising young PFs both of whom need minutes to develop. So you have to put one on the bench to make him frustrated.

4. We have no depth at the wing position. So the coach has to ride two guys to death even when they are not playing well.

I've been saying this for a while. The most ideal reconstruction of the roster is:

1. Trade Howard for an elite scoring PF. Start Asik.

2. Trade either Jones or Motiejunas for a decent 3&D wing player.

3. Trade either Lin or Beverley for a good shooting PG as the starter. Bring the other guy off the bench