1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hindsight 20/20] What ex-teammates said about Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Apr 27, 2016.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Kobe:

I tried teaching Dwight. I tried showing him. But the reality is that when you have a perception of what it is to win a championship - and most perceptions of what it's like to win are a very outgoing, very gregarious locker room where you pick each other up and you're friends all the time. That's the perception. And I think that's what his perception was of what the idea is. But when he saw the reality of it, it made him uncomfortable. And it's very tough to be able to fight through that, to deal with that challenge. And I don't think he was willing to deal with that uncomfortable and combative nature.

Nash:

As the season went on, you could tell it was going to be tough. I think Dwight just didn’t hide the fact that he didn’t like it. You either have to decide and say ‘I’m not going to like it and move on or just eat it and make it work. You could tell he wasn’t committed to moving on. He didn’t like it. He was stuck in ‘I don’t like it mode.’ I’m not putting it on him but you can tell it really bothered him.

[Howard resisted playing pick-and-roll with a point guard who perfected that play.]

He wanted to get the ball in the post. Kobe can be a pain in the [butt]. Tough beans. That’s tough beans. Instead of being like, That’s Kobe and moving on and trying to work with it, it bothered him and ruffled his feathers. The ball didn’t move enough for him. When the ball doesn’t move enough, it means he didn’t get the ball enough.

Isaiah Canaan:

I let him grab my balls.

JJ Redick:

There was a deal on the table right before the season started, right after the lockout ended, for [Dwight Howard] to go to Brooklyn. I can remember being in the shower after practice, one of the first practices of the season, and him saying ‘I love you guys, I’m headed to Brooklyn, trade is going down later tonight.’ And I’m on Twitter, I’m on HoopsHype, you know for 24 hours, like ‘When this is going down?’ And it didn’t go down. And I think for the rest of the season there was an underlying resentment because of that.

[After calling his ex-Magic teammates "nobodies"] I'm not surprised by it. I would be more surprised when Dwight starts taking responsibility. That would be the most negative thing I can say, but that's the truth.

Metta World Peace:

Kobe was furious and he just wanted things to change, and him and Dwight [Howard] at the time wasn't clicking. I think Dwight would take it too personal because Kobe is like very direct and Kobe gives you, like, a chance to show who you are. Not necessarily produce, but just to show who you are. Kobe wants to see you out there on the court, and he wants to see you like an attack dog. A smart attack dog. Show that you have heart. Show you care. He wants to see it right away.

[On Howard's limitations as an offensive player] That's where I had an issue with Dwight sometimes because he's strong and he can rebound, he can block shots, he can dunk. But his moves are not polished yet. So to want the ball every time ... we're going to give it to you, because the franchise called for that, but he isn't going to score.

Vince Carter:

He always talks about how I’m a crybaby. I was like, ‘Yo, you’re the biggest crybaby I know.’ And then later, he’s like, ‘Yo, why’d you say that to me?’

Rashard Lewis:

[continuation of the "nobodies" comment]We helped Dwight become the player he was. They built that team to make him the player he was. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful to Dwight, but I think sometimes you have to focus on what's going on now, not what [happens] in the past. Very disappointing.

We made a good run. Hell, look at those banners hanging in the stands. They don't say Dwight Howard on them.

2. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

It seems like wherever Dwight goes, he gets 0 respect from his peers and coaches. Coincidence?

amaru likes this.
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We sort of know who this guy is by now. He is such a nice guy, but honestly, I don't think he has the will to win.

4. dream2franchise

You kind of cherry picked JJ's comments, because in that podcast he also stated that Dwight was "All In" and committed to that team and to the championship.

Just sayin'. Go on with the rest of it.

The guy is leaving anyway. This kind of post is better suited for the teams looking to sign him. I'm upset it didn't work out, but hopefully this is the last of the drama once he goes.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You guys act like even knowing this would have changed the decision to sign him (knowing that this specifically would happen I mean). You're so up the big 3 or bust thing Morey had going on that I'd like to know why on earth you would turn down a star when that's literally all Morey has been trying to do ...instead of building a solid team. This franchise tried to court Melo, so I doubt that Dwight no matter how bad he is made out to be should be anything "seen with hindsight."

6. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I'm not even sure about the nice part. How come almost every single player who has played with him has nothing nice to say about him? If he was such a good personality off the court, I'm sure more than few would have came out on his defense.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

How do Harden's former teammates and coaches in Oklahoma City feel about him? Generally positive stuff, right? Particularly Durant...

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There are tons of fans who speak differently about him and outreach. Last time they played the blazers I talked with a Blazer/Laker fan. He hated Howard up until 8 hours before the game. Howard showed up at a kids center the fan worked at, gifts in hand and unannounced. Dwight does a lot of outreach he doesn't get press for, and from what I understand, he's really humble about it to begin with. Dwight takes time to sign autographs, half the rockets DGAF.

9. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C0o4crq6DNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As it turns out, the future Rockets coach is also not very fond of Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  10. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Really don't find the quotes from ex-Laker teammates to be useful. Dwight played there injured, and they all knew it. His early years from ex-Magic teammates might be valid, but he was still searching for more. Which NBA superstar is humble without a huge ego? Even MVP Curry cheers for himself every time he makes a basket.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Canaan?

I let him grab my balls ? Lol

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

How are the Lakers quotes not useful? They're. The fact that he was injured is meaningless.

Wherever he has been, he never accepted to play through his strenghts, that's why they're useful.

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

Exactly. Even injured he never showed any heart or effort in the games.

Its no coincidence that future HOFers in Durant and Kobe called him soft.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Well do you see them giving him the Reggie Jackson treatment?:rolleyes:

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lol at Rashard ... Those banners should say Dwight and Dem

16. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I think this quote from Nash is pretty telling.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

injured or not, what TWO MVP-winning future Hall of Famers said about Howard is telling. Howard has a skewed view of how to win a championship, where it doesn't take more than his God-given athleticism and talent. He didn't (and will probably never) realize the hard work players put in to get them into a position to win.

Everyone of those players I quoted (sans maybe Vince Carter and Two Balls Canaan) had to work hard to earn what they got in the NBA. Howard relied on his athleticism and never developed anything useful on either ends of the floor.
    Kobe brought in a new move every year, Tim Duncan learned and mastered that bank shot, Dirk perfected his signature fadeaway, Curry extends his 3point range beyond the line, etc.

18. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

This is what so bothers me about Dwight. I've never heard of another so called 'superstar' so dependent on his physical abilities and completely lacks basketball fundamentals to the degree that Howard does. It just screams 'I'm too lazy to develop my game outside winning the genetic lottery.' Hard to respect a player like that.

19. alethios

alethios Member

Dwight may be tall but he's a mental midget and can not deal with adversity. He is not mature enough to lead a team unless everyone on the team is in his camp.

20. Raven

Raven Member

It doesn't matter. No one wants him back, and he's not coming back. Let's just move on.

1 person likes this.