1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary throwing it down in Houston - calls for universal, automatic voter registration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jun 5, 2015.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

FWIW, you can play chess on a checker board, so long as you have chess pieces. Both boards are a grid of 8x8 squares.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, the goal is to increase the number of legitimate voters. The "immigrants tilting elections" narrative is just more bullsh!t that Fox has convinced you is true, despite the dearth of any kind of evidence showing that it happens in any substantial amount.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What happened in Minnesota? Around 65% of the voters did NOT vote for Ventura.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you go vote you get a day off. It would be a day off like jury duty.This would give people an incentive to go vote.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How would this work in the service industry and industries where it is essential to have employees show up?

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The only incentive to vote should be by individual initiative that you know enough and care enough to vote. Period.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jF5hjCiA2aI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Know enough? Like a literacy test? Or a character test?

Careful giddyup you're channeling your inner Cyndi Lauper there.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm sure the people who aren't given enough time to leave work and vote might care if it didn't cost them money to go vote. We should make it as easy as possible for people to vote, not the other way around.

Automatic registration is a great idea. A national day off on election day is another great idea. You can't force people to vote but you sure can make it easier for people to vote.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. cml750

cml750 Member

Lol, I haven't watched Fox news in years. If you don't think the ultimate goal is to get as many immigrants here as possible, get them hooked on "entitlements", then make them legal voters you are delusional. It is all about buying as many votes as possible.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Any empirical evidence that backs this claim?

13. CometsWin

If there's anything common about immigrants in the US it's their desire not to work. Good call.

Was that Reagan's goal too when he amnestied 3 million illegals? Just curious.

#53 CometsWin, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Seriously, how many immigrants do this cml guy knows? From my experience, they are the hardest working segment of our population.

15. giddyup

Know enough meaning that you are informed enough about the issues that you care to vote-- not because some political organization loads you up on a bus and provides you a meal to vote in their direction.

It's about individual initiative, not automatic anything....

16. giddyup

The opportunity to vote does not just exist from 9-5 on the first Tuesday in November... :grin:

17. CometsWin

So what? People work every day, not just Tuesday.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

In Hillary's home state it does

19. Major

Major Member

So you're telling me this guy didn't care enough to vote?

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/27/3584645/texas-voter-id-pollworkers/

HOUSTON, TEXAS — In the six days that early voting has been underway in Texas, election judge William Parsley on Sunday said he has only seen one potential voter turned away at his polling location, the Metropolitan Multi-Services Center in downtown Houston.

“An elderly man, a veteran. Ninety-three years old,” Parsley, an election judge for the last 15 years, told ThinkProgress. “His license had expired.”

Under Texas’ new voter ID law, one of the strictest in the nation, citizens are required to present one of seven forms of photo identification to vote. The identification can be a Texas-issued driver’s license, a federally-issued veteran’s ID card, or a gun registration card, among other forms. Licenses can be expired, but not for more than 60 days.

The man Parsley said he had to turn away was a registered voter, but his license had been expired for a few years, likely because he had stopped driving. Parsley said the man had never gotten a veteran’s identification card. And though he had “all sorts” of other identification cards with his picture on it, they weren’t valid under the law — so the election judges told him he had to go to the Department of Public Safety, and renew his license.

“He just felt real bad, you know, because he’s voted all his life,” Parsley said.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hate the corrupt Clintons and automatic anything seems anti-democracy. Especially for something like this done at a State or Federal level.

I've never registered because NO politician has ever excited me enough to do so. NO politician has ever convinced me or excited me to do so. NO politician has ever earned my trust. If I was auto registered, I still wouldn't vote until I found someone worthy of my vote. If I never have the opportunity to use my vote it would of course be tragic and sad. However, I would leave this life knowing that I never participated in a broken system, never supported someone who sent innocent young lower class people to die for lies, never supported someone who protected corporate interest over the peoples, etc... and for that I would be satisfied.