1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary throwing it down in Houston - calls for universal, automatic voter registration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Random elections cannot come soon enough. Sort of naive to think that automatically registering the apathetic, and forcing people to vote is any more democratic when the choices we're presented are vetted by two corrupt political parties from a pool of people who are hungry for power. Democracy needs people who don't want power, but are representing their local people because its their civic duty.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, random elections and term limits would be great too, no more career politicians.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Why would you doubt it after the turn out for Obama...? Smart move by her because there were White democrats who didn't vote for Obama because he is Black (Muslim, foreigner, antichrist, etc) and she knows there will be White voters (men and women) who won't vote for her because she's a woman but she can get a big portion of the minority women's vote and she's making it easier for them to vote. She definitely didn't bring a checker board to a chess game.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When I record my thumbprint to get my driver's license, I could be registering my identity to vote. Maybe it could be part of your birth certificate, they take fingerprints. (of course the issue is standardizing and sharing the data base since the GOP keeps the federal government on Windows 98)

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I disagree. As a Republican, I would be for it ... as long as each voter can prove, without a doubt, that he or she is a legitimate citizen of the United States.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It would. States that have lighter barriers to registration always have higher turnout. Texas as an example has some of the worst registration laws in the US (putting aside voter ID) which in turn has a dramatic effect on participation in elections.

Cumpolsory voting will never fly in the US but improving the registration process would be a big boost. At least make same day registration mandatory for federal elections. Its so stupid that you have to register 30 days before the election in Texas or you can't vote. You should always be able to register at a polling location.

Oh and while you're at it, increase funding for early voting polling locations. Texas sucks at that too. Early voting lines are way too long in Texas compared to other states. Lines as a whole suck on election day as well (again increase funding for bigger polling locations with more machines).

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, it's a talking point only for her. We won't have automatic registration in time for the presidential election, even if we wanted to. This is a rhetorical counterpoint to voter ID laws and shores up the base.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And it's also a good piece of policy by its own merits.

9. Remii

Remii Member

That will still get minorities to vote for her and it's a nice set up for whoever her predecessor will be... Maybe another women, maybe another Black person, or maybe a Brown skin Spanish speaking native.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Sure automatic voter registration. Lets make it easy. Why not put a voter registration system all along the Rio Grande. As soon as you cross you can register and vote immediately. We could even put early voting booths there. You register then vote. That is the goal isn't it???

11. Anticope

Anticope Member

Good thing there's no pre-registration IQ test or you would be SOL.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Sticks and stones!!!:p

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Washington Post poll- Approval of Voter ID requirements:Black 65% Hispanic 64% 18-29 73% 30-39 74% OK then... <a href="http://t.co/7kC6blDjfQ" title="http://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/606972104588840960/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/7kC6blDjfQ</a></p>&mdash; Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher) <a href="https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/606972104588840960" data-datetime="2015-06-05T23:53:21+00:00">June 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Major

Major Member

This is an odd response, given that voter registration and early voting access are fairly different issues than voter ID.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why don't you link to the actual poll?

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably my favorite bit on Letterman was just him saying "what the hell happened in Minnesota" every single time a story came up with Jesse Ventura.

I feel like saying the same thing about 2008 every time McCain starts channeling George Mitchell, or I see crap like this.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe your goal should be to stop pretending that the largest and oldest non-native ethnic group in this hemisphere coming to its 2nd largest and most populous landmass is the Rape of the Sabine.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ironically enough..

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

And Republicans own the pathetic vote.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If the required ID were both free and very easy for any citizen to acquire, I'd be all for it.

Used to be that my voter registration card was plenty, I guess Republicans decided too many people were voting for them to get into office.