1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Running

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, Aug 28, 2003.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I will debunk each of your unsupported allegations by the numbers if you will provide examples of each.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Really? And your evidence of this respect for Bush is what, the number of times he is burned in effigy?

Here's evidence of George Bush's unpopularity abroad, distrust of him, and lack of confidence in his ability to make the right decisions, in polls, some scientific and some not:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6542626%255E1702,00.html

http://www.twf.org/News/Y2002/1109-Poll.html

Here's anectodotal evidence from diplomats overseas from a Washington Post article:

http://truthout.org/docs_03/022503D.shtml

Now, what evidence do you have that nobody respects or respected, Clinton overseas? Any?

People overseas have not been subjected to the whims of the anti-CLinton lobby for 10 years, they don't read the American Spectator, they don't sit around and run ballistics tests about Vince Foster, they don't analyze the billing records of the Rose law firm.

There are many reasons to dislike Hilary, but this one is based on pure fantasy and conjecture. And it ends up raising more questions than answers, namely, the original one, why the hell are you people so obsessed with her? :confused:

3. SamFisher

I don't think the amount of pure hatred that Hilary will inspire can be matched by any other candidate. Look at this thread!

Like I said, I almost hope she does so that the negative campaigning and mean spiritedness will become so intense that the Scorpion King and the army of anubis return from the underworld.

4. thumbs

Read the first piece. It ends thusly:

The Pew survey, chaired by former Clinton administration secretary of state Madeleine Albright, has a three to four per cent margin of error.

Give me facts, not Clinton-sponsored apologists.

5. SamFisher

Nice response. So the Pew research center's Global Attitudes project, since it is chaired by a former (and very well respected, in foreign policy circles, btw) Secretary of State, was actually just a puff piece designed to denigrate Bush and implicitly elevate clinton?

What do you think they did, do you think Madeline Albright went to peoples houses with Vernon Jordan and a shotgun and threatened to blow their heads off if they answered the wrong way?

Pardon me while I retch.

FInd one survey of people abroad saying good things about Bush. Find one. Hell, you can even use some hard core conservative think tank. Find one.

#85 SamFisher, Aug 29, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Manny:

All due respect, but you're way off here. America's been feared and mistrusted for a long, long time. True. That comes with being the world's only superpower and not always acting with pure benevolence. We can expect that and we can't entirely reverse it. But the level of negative world opinion against the US now is unprecedented and it's due almost entirely to policy rather than personality. Where personality does play a role, it is also worse than it's ever been as Bush's personality coupled with his policy makes the rest of the world think we are arrogant, jerky bullies ruled by a dangerously dim cowboy. There is a zero percent chance this changes for the worse if we get a president who is regarded to be cold or mean but who considers world opinion in policy making. If you held a poll of non-US citizens right now, H. Clinton would beat Bush about 90 - 10. Virtually anyone would. People in other countries are concerned with the power we weild and the current abuse of that power -- not who they'd rather have a beer with.

7. SamFisher

8. goophers

goophers Member

MacBeth,
    Your post was a work of art. I think if the Dems run a candidate that has a hint of a good personality and isn't stupid or incompetent, they will have a good chance to unseat Bush. They would have a good chance to get my vote. Clinton will NEVER EVER EVER EVER get my vote. I hate her in the same way I hate reality TV, manufactured pop bands, John Ashcroft, and carnies.

9. thumbs

Sam, no disrespect intended, but you don't travel out of Manhatten much, do you?

Would my credibility with you increase if I ran out to recruite a conservative think tank to run a poll so I could skew the results the way I want them skewed? Besides, few polls are "factual." They change whenever the wind blows in another direction.

I once interviewed Vernon Jordan, and he is an articulate, reasoned man. However, he wouldn't need a shotgun -- the dude is 6-6 with the physique of a linebacker (at least way back then).:D

But, come on, you are letting your own hatred for Bush lead you into wild conclusions. Bush is not kissing the French or Germans, and thank goodness. Somebody with a backbone (as opposed to a boner:D ) needs to be charge of the country.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Marionettes have no backbone. For that matter, they have no boner either!:D

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hell, I'd settle for just one specific example.

12. thumbs

RMT -- I look forward to trading quips with you while we pick over the bones of those ribs. Where is this celebrated palace of the palate?

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Curtailing of Civil liberties:actual
    Patriot Act
    RAVE act

Curtailing of Civil liberties:attempted
    Patriot Act II
    VICTORY act

Hiding information: Domestic
    Suppressed EPA air quality information
    Suppressed evidence of global warming in EPA report
    Still keeping a 9/11 investigation from even taking place

Hiding information: Foreign
    WMD in Iraq
    Nuclear materials purchased by Iraq
    Saudi involvement in 9/11

Imitating a marionette - You have to look no further than President Dick.

And those are just the ones I could come up with in 5 minutes.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Williams Brothers Smokehouse is on Wheatley Ave. in Acres Homes. 610 North, exit Ella, and go left for about 6-7 miles. After 5 miles, you can roll down the windows of your car and follow your nose. The BEST ribs in Houston....except for mine!

15. SamFisher

Wild conclusions? All I was trying to do was refute the ridiculous argument that Hilary as president would cause armageddon because of the universal hatred for her abroad. Now who is drawing wild conclusions here?

The Pew Research center for the People and the Press is not a "liberal" think tank like the Cato institute or the Heritage foundation are right wing organizations. It's associate director, Scott Keeter, is a GMU Poli Sci professor (GMU has a renowned conservative faculty) and an expert in republican politics. I would call him a Republican pollster but that may assume to much.

Have you read the survey? It's not a 10 minute internet poll of Al-Jazeera viewers, it was a welll funded, well researched, and comprehensive look at attitudes towards Americans abroad. The fact that you are questioning its credibility, with no basis, other than to point to Madeline Albright and scream "fraud!" undermines your own credibility.

I am still waiting for your counter evidence. You may think polls are unreliable, but they are far more reliable than your naked assertions that Clinton is disrespected abroad and Bush is respected.

16. GladiatoRowdy

Oh, come on, some reality TV is good for the whole train wreck effect. :D

17. Major

Major Member

18. GladiatoRowdy

No, but some of them have wood.

19. thumbs

No problem. However, I have to leave for a racquetball match right now, so I won't be back to you until about 4 p.m. (CST). This challenge has priority because it was issued this a.m.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No you wouldn't. Don't be cute. You've been given various examples, both here and in every major media outlet and you've ignored them all. You will continue to believe whatever you want to believe, regardless of any information to the contrary.