1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Clinton calls Al-Jazeera "real news". Agree? Disagree?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Mar 7, 2011.

?

Do agree with her statements? Should more U.S. companies carry Al-Jazeera?

1. Agree with her comments

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Disagree with her comments

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Al Jazeera should be more available

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  4. Al Jazeera should not be more available

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I agree with everything she said. Al Jazeera should be easily available in the US, but it's not. Mainstream news in America is a sham, and 24/7 infotainment whoring for ratings based on partisanship. In addition, their online affiliates can be just as bad so I don't buy the argument that the Internet and its wealth of knowledge nullifies my criticism.

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110307/pl_ac/8011812_hillary_clinton_aljazeera_is_real_news

Clinton speaking before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the U.S. is losing the "information war" in the world. Other countries and global news outlets, she said, were making inroads into places like the Middle East more effectively than the United States has. One of the reasons she cited for this was the quality of channels like Al Jazeera.

"Like it or hate it, it is really effective," Clinton said. "In fact, viewership of Al-Jazeera is going up in the United States because it is real news."

"You may not agree with it, but you feel like you're getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news that is not providing information to us, let alone foreigners."

Al-Jazeera's television viewership hasn't gone up much in the U.S. because it is still not widely available, seen only on scattered cable systems in Vermont, Ohio and Washington, D.C.

But online viewership of Al-Jazeera English spiked during the demonstrations in Egypt — up 2,500 percent at its peak, with nearly half of the followers (~2 million) from the United States, the network said.

Glenn Beck on FOX:

"You have the Secretary of State of the United States of America saying you cannot get real news here in America," he said. "You can only get it from Al Jazeera and everybody knows it. This is insanity."

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PJXavIDFIN4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

haha that's golden

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

When compared to Fox, yes.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

conservatives will complain ad naseum about the "mainstream media" but will undoubtedly disagree with mrs. clinton. disdain for the "mainstream media" essentially means disdain for anything that conflicts with their worldview.

another in a long line of reasons why i consider today's right-winger a complete moron.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anyone who praises anything with an Arabic name = target for right wingers.

Glenn Beck is a r****d.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

It's actually really informative.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Al Jazeera is actually pretty good.

There is absolutely no reason why we should not have them in US.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Don't be fooled into thinking Al Jazeera is any less biased than your own media outlets.

However, there is a huge bonus in that it is biased towards a different side than any of your news outlets.

My view of the news outlets has always been the same. None of them are without some kind of bias. But news outlets, to me, are like pieces of a puzzle. The more pieces you have, the closer you are to seeing the real picture.

That being said, Al Jazeera English is a relatively fantastic news source and it's a shame that you all don't have access to it. It would be a very nice piece of the puzzle, probably one of the few pieces that are missing from your media. Their coverage of the Egyptian uprising was unprecedented in terms of excellent coverage of major events. No doubt, there are political, geographic and social elements that made it possible, but that should make it all the more desirable to have.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Multiple poll will end in multiple fail...

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Focus more on facts and not opinions therefore real news. News should be informative and not persuasive.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Doesn't Al Jazeera mean Fair and Balanced in Arabic?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I watched Al Jazeera quite a bit and also used their website during the changes now in the Middle East. Found it pretty good.

13. rtsy

rtsy Member

Yup.

US vows help for Mexico drug war

Hillary Clinton says cartels at war with US as well as Mexican government.

Last Modified: 27 Apr 2010 09:30 GMT

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/03/201032412321998551.html

The Obama appointed US secretary of state has pledged to help Mexico broaden its war on drug gangs, saying the cartels were not just at war with the Mexican government but with the US as well.

Leading a high-level US delegation in Mexico City for a day of talks with Mexican officials on Tuesday, Hillary Clinton said it was time to tackle the deeper social issues that fuel the narcotics trade as both nations battle powerful smuggling organisations.

"These narcotics cartels are waging war on civil society," Clinton told a news conference, pledging that the joint US-Mexican response would not be bound by "borders or bureaucratic divisions".

Clinton said anti-drug efforts must move beyond efforts to disrupt trafficking organisations and seek to strengthen law enforcement agencies, increase economic opportunity and set up a "21st century border" that can promote security, trade and movement between the two neighbours.

She promised to step up US efforts to prevent guns from flowing south from the US to Mexico and to work to address illegal drug demand in both countries, a key underlying cause of the crisis.

About 18,000 people have been killed nationwide in incidents surrounding the narcotics trade in the past four years – more than 4,000 in Ciudad Juarez alone since 2008.

High-level delegation

The weight of the delegation - including Robert Gates, the defence secretary; Mike Mullen, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff; and Janet Napolitano, the homeland security secretary - underscored Washington's concern over the drug violence south of its border.

That concern sharpened after the shooting dead of two US consulate employees in the violence-wracked Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez earlier this month.

The attack raised the question of what Washington could do to bolster security without being seen as interfering in Mexico's internal affairs.

The US is already deeply involved in Mexico's struggle with drug gangs and has pledged some $1.4bn over three years in a thus-far unsuccessful effort to crush cartels which ship $40bn worth of illegal drugs north each year.

Barack Obama, the US president, said last year that Washington had to take its share of responsibility to end the drugs trade, with a large demand for drugs coming from US citizens.

But Mexican critics say the US has not done enough to help and that aid already pledged has been slow to arrive.

Patricia Espinosa, the Mexican foreign minister, said the US team had promised on Tuesday to speed assistance and resolve "bottlenecks that have delayed the delivery of equipment we need".

'Long-term measures'

Al Jazeera's Marina Sanchez, reporting from Mexico City, said people there were questioning how the new efforts would improve the situation.

"What analysts are saying is that these measures may be for the long term; months to be implemented, maybe years to be effective.

Mexico's drug war

"In the meantime, what people in the front line of this war are saying is 'what happens to the civilians, those who every day are living in dangerous places where civilians, even children, are being killed every day?'"

Napolitano said Mexico could expect more US drug enforcement, border security teams, sniffer dogs, licence plate readers and better intelligence sharing, but said Washington also wants to broaden the primarily military focus of the effort.

Eric Olsen at the Mexico Institute at the Woodrow Wilson Centre in Washington, DC, said there seemed to be a some rethinking of the American strategy.

"[In the past] the emphasis was much more on hardware and equipment, the transfer of airplanes. helicopters, x-ray technology, dogs, and other kinds of technology to combat trafficking," he told Al Jazeera.

"I think the realisation now is that simply deploying the army, simply deploying airplanes, is not really going to be a solution to this very difficult and intractable problem.

"There has to be a much more complex and broad approach to it that includes improvement of the rule of law of Mexico, better efforts to reduce consumption of drugs in the United States, better efforts to disrupt the flow of weapons from the US to Mexico and the money that goes along with it."

Mexico is the main supply route for illicit drugs entering the US, with about 90 per cent of cocaine consumed in the US travelling through Mexico.

Social programmes

Clinton said an emphasis on social programmes was important in the wake of the financial crisis that left many on both sides of the border with few economic options.

"The recent downturn in economic growth and remittances has aided the drug traffickers in their recruitment of young people," she said.

Mario Gonzalez Roman, a security consultant in Mexico City, told Al Jazeera that the problems associated with drug trafficking in Mexico would not stop unless the drug consumption in the US is tackled.

'"When is American society going to stop inhaling cocaine or injecting heroine? Unless this comes to a stop, we can't think in terms of progress.

"What we have is here at the centre of the table is a bunch of good intentions but as long as the American government and the American society understands that as long as they don't stop consuming these drugs, the problem in Mexico is never going anyway."

Felipe Calderon, the Mexican president, has added 50,000 troops to the fight against the drugs trade since 2006, but some critics have said that this has only inflamed the conflict's mortality rate.

Calderon recently visited Ciudad Juarez to launch programmes including new schools, nurseries and soccer pitches, aimed at attracting youths away from drug cartels.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvFYCky0muY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Here is an interesting documentary on Al Jazeera. I never knew they were so hated by Middle Eastern governments before I watched it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-C-pf6ZPmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see much difference b/t al jazeera and cnn intl :confused:

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There isnt and I like both channels. CNN International >>>>>>>>>> CNN. I wish I could get CNN International in the US. I watched Al-Jazeera English and CNN International pretty much exclusively when I was in India recently for news.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pretty similar, but the reason I watched Al Jazeera more during the recent changes in the Middle East is that I think they have more correspondents in the region/better access. If it's about something in the US or elsewhere, I'd probably rather watch CNN.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It actually means The Island.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

This. Basically, I follow the same format
    USA: BBC America/ NYT
    Europe: BBC
    Middle East: Al-Jazzera

I akso occansionally read newspapers from Sao Paulo and Moscow.