1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Calls for Bush to Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremonies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A_3PO, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yobod

yobod Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtVEVM12Mvk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtVEVM12Mvk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm sorry if the picture is not good enough for you, how about a video of Tibetan monks standing in line being killed off by Chinese soldiers. Maybe that'll be sufficient.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yuantian can speak for himself on his other comments, but I'd like to address two issues.

Excessive nationalism in China is a very dangerous thing. It's hard for most Americans to understand. But believe me, if that genie gets out of the bottle, a lot of bad and dangerous events will happen inside China. This really isn't a debatable point.

Many people are instinctively defensive of their native country. This isn't limited to the Chinese. When western media and politicians harshly criticize the Chinese government (even rightfully), many Chinese resent it and nationalistic emotions are actually fanned by the criticism. This will sound strange, but a similar concept happens in the U.S. when the media attacks (rightfully or not) a black public figure.

I am not Chinese but have been there numerous times and have been educated about the culture by many wise Chinese friends.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Sigh, that video was discussed for many many pages long time ago. I am very impressed by your super vision to identify "Tibetan monks" and "Chinese soldiers" from that video.

When I pointed out your criticle "error" of using Nepal policeman setting orders on the street, to accuse Chinese military or police to press "peaceful demonstrators", you came up with another video with your own interpretation, to justify your action to distorting facts.

You can't justify any "righteous" cause by lying. It doesn't really matter whether that picture is good enough for me, you should seriously ask yourself whether it's good enough to you. Let's say all Chinese are bad guys, is it good enough for you to make up bad stories about them? If you are fine with it, I won't lose any sleep over it either.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

WOW - I am EAGERLY awaiting the response of key public interest group 80-20 to this development - as well as its backers on the BBS.

BALL

COURT

YOURS

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I am not sure whether Western media has noticed one thing. 20 years ago, students like me sought after Western media to learn about different opinions, to see the world from different angels. Many went on the journey to experience that freedom, first-handly. 20 years later, the same generation, most of us somewhat participated in the student movement in 89', experienced the whole Western media. From embracing it whole-heartedly, to questioning it with growing doubts, and to even resenting it to some degree, especially in recent years. Why? Brainwashed by communists? I personally, have never seen one single minute of CCTV news report in the past 18 years, and I have experienced so many news sources from many countries. Probably just 2 extreme brainwashing lead people to think, critically.

Look around, lots of Chinese posters here debating in such threads, passionately. Some of them came to Western countries at a very young age, some of them have lived abroad for a very long time, some of them are even born here. To dismiss their opinions as communist brainwashing is just lazy and naive.

The real question is, what has changed? The people, after 20 years of exposure of supposedly fair and balanced Western media? Or the media? I think it's just the perception of the media. When the rosey glasses are off, media, is just propaganda machine, after all.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It bugs the hell outta me when Chinese Americans are considered traitors for defending their beliefs about their native country. It's not a real surprise, but I don't enjoy the "with us er agin' us" routine. I bet Mexican or Muslim Americans don't either.

I don't need one issue to define who I am or where my supposed loyalties are.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

People who accuse defensive Chinese posters of being brainwashed by communism are just ignorant. It's really that simple. At the same time, for you to say that western media is just a propaganda machine, that is also ignorant. It's a true statement in countries that curtail media freedoms. But freedom of the press creates a much needed tension between media and government that discourages collusion and promotes individual thought.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't assume when our media gets things wrong that they are deliberately spewing propaganda to slant public opinion. Right-wing kooks in this country have been getting drunk on that Kool-Aid for decades.

I could go on a lot longer.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

I've found some of the posts here sort of disturbing. A lot of it is bordering on some sort of racism. As you point out - that Chinese people must be easily brainwashed for us to actually have opinions that differ from any American "progressive" ideology. I know a lot of it just good-old fashioned race-baiting by some but I think Chinese people obviously just do not get the same considerations that other non-whites seem to get.

9. stq

stq Member

Try to cross any sensitive national borders illegally, the chances are, you will be shot. The same applies to Israil/Arab, India/Pakistan, North/South Korea...etc.
    Heck, last time I checked, even illegal immigrants from Mexico get shot from time to time when they cross the US/Mexico border.

I'm sorry if this is too difficult for you to understand....

10. stq

stq Member

I don't think the western media is just a propaganda machine. I do believe most of those reporters have good intention and are "want to do my part to make the world a better place" type of person.

But the problem is that majority of them have never exposed to a different view point. Their line of thinking is just too simple, it usually goes like this:
    Chinese government is run by a communist part => it must be bad, anything it does must be bad => thus, anyone agaist them must be good. => Tibetans are right, chinese government is wrong, any claims by exile tibetans must be right......
    Then you combine this with the "shangri-la utopia" image, which by the way has only existed in the western imagniation and couldn't be further away from the truth, you have the current wave of pro-tibet, anti-China reports.

I understand where they are coming from, but that doesn't change the fact that most of them are wrong and are baseless.

11. longhornchampno

You lost right away when you tried to accuse other people of being brainwashed. Ohhhhhhhh, you don't agree with me so you are brainwashed!!!!!! Very weak...isn't it?

You are also very ignorant of you to equate the Chinese posters in this forum to people inside N Korea. Last time I checked most of the Chinese posters are in the Western countries where they have access to the media as much as you do and I am sure they read the news about what's happening in China much more than you do. If they have no connection to outside world, they wouldn't even be here 'talking' to you, or being 'here' is not 'outside' enough for you? Oh, I don't even know what I am talking about now, just like you have no idea what you are talking about.

And you have also revealed how ignorant you are by using a picture of the Nepal police to prove your point.

An ignorant folk trying to call other people brainwashed is kinda funny.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

I think there might be a touch of "political correct" racism too. These self-righteous types are often the first to overlook Fidel Castro's vicousness.

13. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

That's exactly what I wanted to say. The media is probably not on an agenda right now, but a lot of the reporters in the media are basing their reports on their own personal view points, which were formed when anti-communism propaganda was at its full power. Everything in the press about communism was evil, and every communist state was reigning its citizens with terror and compression. In their eyes, the Chinese government cannot do anything right, simply because it is ruled by one party that has the word Communism in its name.

And it didn't help that with the way China cracks down on available information, the reporters were getting a lot of the information from the refuge Tibetan government, which had been thrown out of power and on their own agenda to regain control of Tibet. When you source is biased, it is hard to get an unbiased report.

If you look at the unrest in Tibet, it started with the bitter monks who were the ruling class and lost almost everything they had, wealth, status, and slaves if you know the history. They always wanted to force the Chinese government out, so that they could return to their glory days. All the unrests and conflicts have monks at the center. Too bad for the Chinese government, the word "monk" has always been linked to a peaceful and spiritual person, therefore whenever it comes down to police vs. monks, or government vs. monks, the police or government were automatically tagged with evil.

What really sets me off is the way the media distorts things to sell their story, using Nepal or India police as Chinese army, calling an ambulance armored vehicle, etc. There are too many examples that had been discussed earlier. That's just not honest journalism. And these types of things makes you think that if the reporters are not on an agenda, then they must be really incompetent as even a little research will prevent a lot of those "mistakes".

14. rfila

rfila Member

That is a big IF.

I have a big news for you: the resentment toward U.S. in mainland China is at its highest level since the cold war was over. I personally feel sad about this. But I honestly believe that the one to blame is not the CCP but the US itself, from bombing Chinese embassy to routinely send spy airplane dozens miles away from China, to SOME American like you who know nothing about China and yet badmouch China whenever you can.

People like you truely make this country look bad. Too bad you are not even aware of it.

back to the original thread. If you look back at either president Clinton or Bush, they all standed very tough against China before they were elected and gradually softed their policy. Why? Because they had to be tough with China to get elected and they knew it was not to the best interest of this country so they had to eat their words after taking the office. How ironicle it is a candidate has to play such childish game with his voters to get elected in a great country like US.

15. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Thank u Nepal police, Your help has always been very appreciated :D

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hilary is jumping on the bandwagon. The French and Canadian governents are considering boycotting the Olympics opening ceremony.

I don't think a Clinton government will ever be anti-Chinese. They see China too much as a cash cow.

The Australian government is pro-China in terms of trade hocking metals and uranium (sorry world if it goes pear shaped). A reason why I think they're favouring Hilary. Though they're also surprisingly taking a dilpomatic stance against China.

17. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

i think you need to start thinking about what nationalism is. nationalism in extreme is IRRATIONAL DEVOTION TO ONE COUNTRY ON ALL ISSUES WITHOUT REASON. a country can not be run by feeling alone. excuse my language, but you are an idiot as well, if you think more nationalism is good for a country to control. and i really like to know in which way i'm brainwashed.

edit: take out the "as well" part. i'm no idiot. :D

#77 yuantian, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bill Clinton viciously flogged Bush I during the 1992 campaign for "coddling" the Chinese. I thought his rhetoric was irresponsible. He said he would stand up to China and would be much tougher on granting MFN (most favored nation trade status) because of it's poor human rights record. So what happened two years after he became president? He de-linked China's human rights with their annual MFN review. How is that for incredible dishonesty?

There is some truth in what you say but it isn't quite that simple. For brevity's sake, consider one point: If there was more freedom for western media to investigate and file reports from inside Tibet, there would be more accurate information about the circumstances there. Some of this additional information would paint the Chinese government in a more negative light; some would help balance western views. The PRC government's grip on media helps perpetuate negative images of the state.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Good for Clinton.

The fake Chinese Americans (those who call America "the west") who support China should be deported back to brainwash commie land immediately before they infect our people.