1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Calls for Bush to Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremonies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A_3PO, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Are you saying Clinton's calling for Bush not to attend opening ceremony is in American interest as appose not to make a fuss about that?

Why can't he make his voting choices based on apparent political staging, or his belief of best course of action for AMERICAN INTEREST not to boycott?

Brain. dead.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's true he wouldn't shut the door on trade with the PRC but out of the remaining three candidates he has taken the hardest line regarding trade and is the most likely out of the three to limit trade.

3. underoverup

underoverup Member

an excellent distraction by hillary to take the focus away from her latest staffer to resign.

i will say if this tibet problem keeps dragging on for china the drumbeat for boycotts will be getting very loud in a few months from all around the world and not just the opening ceremonies.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have a question. Could an athlete get in trouble if after winning a medal and being interviewed started a chant saying something like "Free Tibet" or anything that goes against what China wants?

5. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Like Bush is going to listen to anything Clinton says.

6. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

probably not. chinese tv won't even show it. if chinese people saw it, they would get pissed off.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Brainwashed.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Manufactoring consent is the name of the game. Old Chinese saying "all crows in the world are black".

Honestly, I'm really disenchanted with all governments and powers to be period. But sadly, we as human beings aren't at a point where anarchy does not equal to chaos. So between government is the lesser of the two evils. Still, I don't think there are enough public servants that intends to serve the public. The U.S. is better than China, but still, there are much more room for improvement (not isolated to U.S. and China, but the whole world).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/psdgRH_p3XI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/psdgRH_p3XI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#48 wizkid83, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  9. yuantian

i think some people can't handle the truth. they resort to "brainwashed" tag to people who didn't even grew up in china. i feel bad for you sir.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Anybody else notice how he is taking a thread about Hillary and trying to make it a thread about Obama?

One set of hands clapping doesn't make a lot of noise, tex.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How on Earth can you talk about brainwashing in one post and then say Chinese TV wouldn't show an athlete talking about Tibet? If the Chinese people would only get angry then why wouldn't China show it since it would just certainly galvanize the Chinese against Tibet? Ridiculous flip flopping on your part. Chinese censorship of free speech = brainwashing. Get it straight dude.

12. yuantian

you are missing the point. i was basically saying, nationalism is probably at its all time high in china at the moment, especially the younger generation. the government sees it as one potential threat to their control. if they show anything that would flare up nationalism, they are going to have a hard time to control. if you follow the news after US bombed embassy in yugoslavia, soccer match against japan etc. the government doesn't want turn this into an ethnic conflict. they are not that stupid. you should really check the facts before saying something like that.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Brainwashed.

That aside, am I the only one who thinks politicizing athletic events sucks? Not so much the Olympics, but hell, if someone tampered with the World Cup... :mad:

But yeah, almost nothing good has EVER come out of politicizing what should be a ceremony of unity and the ability to overcome political differences. Seriously. Munich. Big old "you Russians are killing the Afghans so we won't come piss in your pool" Carter.

Seriously, apart from making China look bad, does this in any way contribute to solving the Tibet Problem? I'd be the first to admit China has a sketchy human rights record. But I think its' laughable if you keep your athletes away from a sporting event just to send home a political message to the host. "Hey, you suck, we're not coming over!". Yes, that will solve a lot of problems :rolleyes:.

14. yuantian

i would like to know from those who said i'm brainwashed. who am i brainwashed from? i went middle school, high school, college, graduate school in the states. NO affiliation with CCP personally in anyway. never took their classes or any propaganda stuff. i don't even believe in communism. i would like to know, who the hell brainwashed me.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Um...

I meant the younger generation of Chinese are brainwashed.

My bad? :confused:

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Didn't you mean mainland Chinese?

17. yuantian

it's cool. but to clarify, i don't think the government is trying to brainwash the younger generation in a nationalistic way. that's not good for their control at all. it's very easy for someone to manipulate nationalism and go against CCP. so they are very careful to not allow too much nationalism, which is a good thing. too much of that makes people irrational.

the younger generation are receiving a lot of information from the outside through the internet. and also a lot of students who travel to other countries to learn. part of what's driving nationalism is the information they are receiving from the outside. they never heard criticism about china before. so it's only natural to react to the criticism and be protective of your own country. it's pretty evident from the recent protest in western countries. you are seeing a lot of ordinary chinese showing support for the government. most of them don't give a **** about communism at all. but they are siding with the government now due to the protests and such. again, the government does NOT want excessive nationalism.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, and frankly I wish he would take a harder line on trade, but I know that won't happen.

19. yobod

yobod Member

Everything I've read from you gives me a headache. You yourself are brainwashed, don't ask me how but you are.

Nationalism by definition means a devotion and loyalty to ones country. You said what is driving the nationalism of the younger Chinese generation is what they are learning from the internet and outside. First of all that doesn't make any sense because all media outside of China is negative. Why would that information make them more proud of their country.

If anything the information from the outside is the truth.

You said nationalism is bad for the government in terms of being able to control their citizens. Excuse my language, but you're an idiot. Too much pride in your country makes it difficult for the government to function? It seems as though everyone is already irrational, including you.

Defending China you are the way now, is no different from the way someone trapped in North Korea would justify their government. They have no connection to the outside world, no point of view to a broader purpose.

[​IMG]

Take those China Propaganda goggles off.

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

BTW, those are Nepal policman, check out the uniforms again.