1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Calls for Bush to Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremonies?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A_3PO, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just heard it verified on CNN.

3. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

time to vote for obama. oh wait, i can't vote. :D

seriously though, a lot of chinese americans will be turned off by this and not going to vote for her anymore. i know a lot of my friends won't.

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Except that Asians in general don't have an active voting record. On top of that, Chinese only represent some of the Asian group in general, many of whom don't have a whole lot of love for China anyway.

5. yuantian

nah, that's not true. it's easy to assume that's the case. i'm talking about those chinese americans who came to US later. who became US citizen for career reasons and such. for example, a lot of doctors and professors that i know, joined citizienship due to that reason. they won't tell you, but in chinese parties and stuff, they are all still loyal to china. they just won't admit it due to treason reasons. keep it a secret though. well, you can't prove it anyways. a lot of 2nd generation would follow their parents believes too, but that's a smaller number. so ya, it's a small number. but i was half joking when i said it was going to matter. but the race is so close, you never know. maybe some obama supporters would swtich to clinton because she wants to boycott. you never know.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do you really think Hillary gives a flip about Chinese-Americans? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, very cheap.

The California primary happened a long time ago. That's when she cared.

7. yuantian

nah, i don't think she cares. but it does show she is playing the politics. granted, everyone is like that, but some are more than others.

8. deepblue

deepblue Member

LOL, I am sure she is sending back channel msgs "don't worry, its all for show" to the Chinese government.

How does this help her though, pretty sure China isn't the top issue on people's mind.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Actually, it is true.

the asian and middle eastern voting sects is some of the least active in the country.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just to be clear...she is asking President Bush to personally boycott the opening ceremonies. She is not asking for the U.S. athletes to boycott.

11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Why boycott just the opening ceremony, boycott the whole damn Olympics!

China got the Olympics, just goes to show you the IOC is a big freaking joke.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Well she can kiss my vote in Indiana good bye. I will ask all my family and friends to not vote for her anymore. We all agreed on voting for her, I was even going to try help her staff later this week. I guess we don't matter anyway, so no big loss for her.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama probably doesn't even know what Tibet is.

Advantage: Push

14. yuantian

ya, same here. a lot of my friends were thinking about voting for her. but i guess they won't now.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Good. Putting China's interests above America's sucks anyways.

Good riddance.

16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Really?

So you were OK with the other stuff that's been posted about her, but if she suggests Pres Bush should not attend the openning ceremonies -- but the athletes should -- that's enough to make you switch from working on her staff to actively campaigning against her?

Oh why do I find this hard to believe?

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Your true allegiance isn't to China.

18. pirc1

Because I could have gone either way and I find the process interesting, so I want to find out more. Bill was here just a couple days ago, he was here before Obama and I liked his speech. So they ask if I would help (they asked everyone) and I said yes right after the speech. Basically I could have gone for either Obama or Clinton on just about all the issues. Now if she wins the primary, I would vote for her over Mccaine though.

19. pirc1

To you and vast majority of the people in the west China has done unspeakable atrocities in Tibet. To me that is not the case, they have developed the area, helped poor people and vasted improved the living starndards of most people there and increased the native population. I know those don't mean a thing to you, but it means something to me. If China really commit genocide against Tiban people, I will be all over them.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I haven't seen Obama or McCains endorsement of China's Tibet policy. Must have missed it.

If Bush didn't attend the opennings, would anyone notice?