1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hilarity]Fake Social Sciences journal articles

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 5, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As an olive branch / red meat offering to my more conservative pals around here, please enjoy the following dust-up within the academy, where hilariously fake articles (e.g. exploring why men like to eat at Hooters) were written, sprinkled with academic-speak from the social sciences, and then sailed through to publication in supposedly serious journals of the social sciences.

Academic pranksters submit twenty fake articles to peer review... get seven accepted.

Here's an example on "fat bodybuilding" that was published in a journal... yes, wait for it... Fat Studies.

[​IMG]

da_juice and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was reading about this and the titles are hilarious - it's like no one even bothered to read the headers.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The real thing in some cases is almost as hilarious.

https://nyupress.org/webchapters/rothblum_toc.pdf

Access to the Sky: Airplane Seats and Fat Bodies as Contested Spaces

Jiggle in my Walk: The Iconic Power of the "Big Butt" in American Pop Culture

Articles like this are helping people get tenure somewhere.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw this, it was pretty hilarious.