1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Higher Upside? Motiejunas or Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Mar 22, 2013.

?

Who has the higher upside?

1. Donatas Motiejunas

202 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Thomas Robinson

175 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Similar upside

80 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Thomas Robinson. I chose the shorter more athletic guy with less scoring skills why? He plays his position, plays big and is willing and capable to bang downlow. Missed putbacks and shots are part of growing pains I can live with. Dmo otoh is just a 7ft sf. His occassional 3 and back to the basket move are fools gold. If you guys watched the game last night, rockets had zero low post presence when he was in. It was an absolute joke. You could practically see the whole floor inside arc(not paint). So they want to stretch the floor for our wings to penetrate? What happens when those two refuse to and play like asss? Just a bunch of guys taking contested 3s. Rockets looked like the 2009 orlando Magic but without Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

:) Spot on :)

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Think about bro they had jameer jj hedo rashard all jacking up shots and d12 downlow to clean it up. That was basically all they did unless jameer was having one of those games where he went ham. This is why we still take a shot a Dwight if he's avaliable.

4. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Can't think of any starting PF in the league who is worse than DMo. Occasionally he'll bust out a nice offensive move...but beyond his average 3 point shot he is not doing anything a whole host of guys in the league don't do better.
    The main issue is his defense. Don't think he has the athletic talent to ever be a good defender. Not physically strong, short arms, little vertical, and poor lateral movement. Not to rip on the guy just being honest.
    I take TRob any day of the week. He'll be our starting PF unless Morey makes a trade in the offseason.

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

T Jones is the best power forward on the team. D-Mo can't rebound or play defense and T-Rob can't shoot. Jones can do what both of these guys can't do and plus he's a shot blocker which this team desperately needs...

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

maybe TJones is more two-way than either cuz' DMo cannot defend and TRob is too short for PF. TRob defends the perimeter well, maybe we can ask him to defend SFs as Parson's sub

7. ngazi

ngazi Member

So if we get Dwight we're going to the finals?

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yep because we woud get Dwight and another player that's on the not quite allstar level but close.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

They all suck. They have "upside", but their upside is average starting power forward.

10. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

You can count on it with Dwight. Rockets would be a real threat every year to make the finals. Even at the expense of losing Asik, its a major upgrade. The nice part is, Morey has done a fantastic job managing cap space so technically they wouldn't even have to give up anything for him and just sign him outright during FA. I've catch a few Lakers game lately and he has looked better coming back into form. Their losses come because of someone else but that's off topic and a whole new can of worms.

But yea, Thomas Robinson with the better upside IMO. His game is what will help the Rockets right now for this year. If they want to keep dropping, give DMo more playing time to develop and drool when he hits a three or bust a few moves down low. Classic case of Kevin Martin is fools gold all over again.

11. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

This is an interesting topic, and the answer really depends on which player's game you like more. I think Moti has a higher ceiling because he's shown flashes of being unstoppable offensively. I heard Morey once in an interview once discussing his post game and how he's got so many moves and so much ability... he needs more time to develop, not necessarily just in terms of technique, but because he can score in so many ways, he needs to figure out which moves and counters work best against the best players in the world. I have been slightly disappointed thus far in his play, but it's still very early, and I would have liked to have seen him utilized more in the post.
    As for Robinson, his ceiling is almost as high, but of course if he reaches his, he'll be a fringe allstar for different reasons. These two players are very similar in terms of being so raw, but with Robinson, I still think he has the ability to average closer to 13 rpg than 10 if he can figure out how to contribute in other ways in order to stay on the court.
    At this point, I'd almost rather Mchale pick on of these two and give that guy closer to 30 mpg on a consistent basis so Morey can have a better idea of what he's working with going forward.

12. timyeung

timyeung Member

D Mo or T Rob?

IMHO so far Greg Smith has proven to be the best forward.