1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Higher Upside? Motiejunas or Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Mar 22, 2013.

?

Who has the higher upside?

1. Donatas Motiejunas

202 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Thomas Robinson

175 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Similar upside

80 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Yep. How many of those are even still in the game right now...??? 4 or 5 at the most.

2. sean joh

sean joh Member

dmo has more international big games experience while trob is totally raw

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Actually, it's Van Rocket, but that's OK. And I agree, I would say D-Mo has more upside because he is already more polished, and just needs time to put on some muscle.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

both have enormous upside.... it is like apple or banana... different niche players

5. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

best case scenarios

robinson- antonio mcdyess (sp?) and stoudemire-ish

dmo-gasol-ish

i picked dmo over robinson because there have been a ton of athletic, 6'7" to 6'9" power forwards to come out of college that compared to stoudemire or mcdyess but never really reached that potential. robinson could very well have a similar career to brandon bass, amir johnson, maxiell. Dmo is more of a rare breed as a polished 7-footer.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

had to lol..... DK when this stats are made but 20 or 21 year olds can still grow a tad

he could have grown to 6'9 in shoes

7. kuku

kuku Member

There are only a handful of 7-footers in the league, most with no skills whatsoever down low. Maybe 2-3? Lopez and Bargnani are two I can think of with any decent post moves. DMo outshines them both.

Edit: forgot to include PGasol. That's three!

8. T_Man

T_Man Member

Welllllll... hmmmm....

I don't think it's ridicules, if you look at the offense McHale is looking for a hybrid 4. PPat is D-Mo fit the mole of what Mchale wants a 4 that shoot the 3, unfortunately T-Rob and jones don't fit that mold.

A lot of people keep complaining about the 4 and keep mentioning Smith, Milsap and etc... the problem is McHale has to change if he wants a big time 4.

T_Man

9. DBRox

DBRox Member

What I like about this is that I could see DMo and TRob eventually complimenting each other on floor beautifully. What I don't like is giving up Asik's rebounds. I want to know that someone would be grabbing those boards, he's tied 2nd in the league for leading rebounder.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Where's Royce White?

jk

There's a 60% chance Thomas will have the better career and 40% chance 3-Mo will have the better career, although that's after a game where The Tank Engine played better. If D-Mo, had the better game, then most people probably would've said he had the higher upside.

11. daernoth

daernoth Member

Dmo has the higher upside. Just wait till he fills out with muscle. Right now he gets pushed around too easily which messes up some of his moves.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Two completely different players. One more offensively minded, the other more defensively minded.

But If I had to pick, I'd go with D-Mo. D-Mo's offensive talent is extremely rare to find in a legit 7-footer. He obviously has areas he has to improve on, both offensively and defensively, but his combination of vision, footwork, touch, etc. are just really rare to find in a big guy.

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

DMo. He is a true 7 footer, quick and already has polished offensive game.

14. meh

meh Member

To me this seems like a no-brainer. DMo's so much further along in his development that he has to be the favorite. And they're basically the same age. Robinson still needs to improve in a ton of areas, DMo's problems are mainly things that come with experience, regular growth, and incremental improvements in his game. Overall, I would say 50/50 that at least one becomes a lower-tier all-star. David West type of contribution.

That said, who cares? They're both rookies and locked in to rookie contracts for 3 more years. The Rockets have plenty of time to see how they develop.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

When players measurements are talked about in the NBA, it is always their "in shoes" height that is talked about.

Prototypical height is 6'9.

On that scale, T-Rob is 6'8.75 (basically 6'9). He has an immense 7'3.25 wingspan, which more than makes up for the 1/4 of an inch he is missing on 'normal' NBA PF height.

He's not a 'big' PF in terms of height (at 244, he's certainly a strong PF), but his reach will give him that edge and enable him to be a quality rebounder. And his athleticism and ability to get to the hoop might make him a nightmare matchup in future years.

1 person likes this.
  16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

While I think dmo will improve alot on his offensive game I just don't think he had the agility quickness to be a good rebounder he see to only be able to jump 2 nichs off the ground when a defender is on him for rebounds. Look at asik and Robinson go up for rebounds they get up there even when players are around them. I don't know how dmo is going to correct this aspect. I'm not worried about his D he'll be okay in that department but Trob has a chance to be special on D he's a menace out there for all players.

On offense there two different players both with pretty broke shots. Dmo has some post game but I do think its a little overrated on this board. Trob has a pretty decent face up game for a rookie but really does have nice handles for a big man and he's prob one of the quicker bigs iv seen maybe ever it's pretty remarkable. They both Jae good instincts and no the game of basketball which to me is a big plus.

The main difference I see is that it looks like Trob try's a little harder and from all reports is a gym rat who works on his game and wants to be coached. I cant say dmo isn't like this because frankly none of us no. He may work extreamly hard also but nothing's been reported on it. The scary thing is both have high upside I just feel that Trob has so much raw potential and things you can't teach (motor,athletism,quickness) combine that with his NBA body and NBA length an if he works on his skills hes a bonafide Allstar. His 2 way potential is crazy and no matter how good dmo gets on offense I don't a see him ever having the impact on D and rebonding to warrant him being the higher upside player. Seeing as I don't think the offensive gap is that huge.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

They are both unskilled scrubs compared to Royce White.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post, doc. Rep'ed.

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

It's not about who's better; it's about who impacts the team more positively, and fits in better with the offensive and defensive sceme.

Look at the plus/minus over the long term, not just at stats. Believe it or not, but its sometimes guys like Eduardo Najero who help a team win games.

Right now McHale has two drivers in Harden and Lin and so he wants a PF who can space, move and pass. This is CRUCIAL. That was why McHale last summer told Patterson to develop his 3 pt shot--or else. Right now movement, passing, spacing, shooting, are the top priorities. This also is why DMo is hardly ever thrown the ball in the post, and TRob is not starting. As long as Harden and LIn are in the game, the PF will have to be a space guy, meaning his shoots the long jumper, or three. Bottom line.

20. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

TRob. You can teach offense, but good defensive players are hard to find.