1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[High Stakes Poker] Tom "durrr" Dwan

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CXbby, Aug 13, 2009.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

First off let me say High Stakes Poker is by far the best poker show out there. What you see on ESPN with the WSOP is not poker. All they show are action hands, suck outs, and all ins. It is like watching the WWF, as opposed to UFC. I would much rather see Barry Greenstein check raising Eli Elezra on the river for $200,000 cash, after missing his gutshot draw and just firing away with Q high.

Anyways, enough venting.

I have heard of "durrr" for a long time, but never really seen him play. He is from the new school of internet young guns, so unless you log on and follow him on Fulltilt, he is not well publicized by the media. So I just got done watching season 5 of High Stakes Poker. He is in the first segment, and this is the first time I got to see him play. All I have to say is WOW. You think Phil Ivey is aggressive? You think Negreanu is creative? Move. Over. This kid is absolutely sick. I have been watching, and playing poker for a long time, and I can honestly say he is by far the best, and most entertaining I've ever seen. Entertaining in the sense of watching a master at his craft, rather than Mike Matusow Blow Up entertaining.

Anyways, if any of you are interested in poker at all, I highly recommend watching him on HSP season 5. All the episodes are posted on Break.com and Dailymotion. Here's the first:

<object width="464" height="376" alt="High Stakes Poker Season 5 Ep.1 - 1/5 cardplayertube.com Funny Videos" ><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/677899"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/677899" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" width="464" height="376"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/3/high-stakes-poker-season-5-ep-1-1-5-cardplayertube-com-677899.html">High Stakes Poker Season 5 Ep.1 - 1/5 cardplayertube.com</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com">Funny Videos</a></font>

EDIT: actually it would be easier to search for the episodes on Google, they are all there... somewhere.

#1 CXbby, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. BleedRocketsRed

Love HSP (cash games is better than tournaments. That is where the money is at and the best players are the ones who are always profiting). and seen quite a bit of Dwan (not just on HSP) and he is good at reading hands, knows when to attacks. Very good player

3. macalu

macalu Member

with your post, i was expecting to see raises and bets with nothing. everything in that vid was pretty much standard by the book poker. i guess the really good stuff are in the other vids.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Tom Dwan is a cash game god.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

I only posted the first one, I would advise you to Google the rest. He. Is. Sick.

Guaranteed. :)

6. m_cable

m_cable Member

Dwan is absolutely sick. I've heard some commentators comparing him to Stu Ungar, which is pretty high praise.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

He's been getting absolutely murdered in the high stakes online games over the past few weeks. There have also been rumblings he was WAY down in bobby's room over the WSOP.

He lost 935k yesterday alone and is the 3rd biggest loser online this year.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Actually, it was Gabe Kaplan of HSP, in one of these episodes, who compared him to Stu. The table he is playing at includes some of the absolute best in the world, and he completely ran them over. It was incredible to watch. Brunson was helpless. The guy who wrote the book on aggressive play was checking his KKs and playing scared. IMO.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

48 suited no good?

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

He's not that good. Neither was Stu.

I'd like to see Harrington at the table. If anyone can push Dwan off a bluff, it's him.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

Harrington who? Please don't tell me you're talking about Action Dan.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yeah I heard this too, but even great players can run bad. We will see how he recovers. I know he is owning Patrik Antonius in his "Durrr challenge". I think he is up close to $700,000.

For those who don't know what that is, Durrr issued a challenge to anyone who would accept. Play heads up $200/$400 or higher, 4 tabling, for 50,000 hands. By the end, if he is up $1 or more, his challenger must pay an additional $500,000. If he is down $1 or more, he has to pay his challenger $1.5M.

So far this challenge is ongoing against Patrik Antonius, who is down $700,000 after 25,000 hands. Phil Ivey and Barry Greenstein have also accepted.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

He's much more creative than you realize.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Wow, last I heard, like a month ago, Antonius was killing him.

15. Landlord Landry

Lol......

durrr is an animal, but he's not anything more interesting/special than Gus Hansen.

back when I used to grind, I would check pokerlistings.com for the days biggest winners and biggest losers and durr was always on both pages(as well as Hansen). He has been busted on some major donk hands. I think he still has the record for biggest pot lost online ($500k?) against Ivey.

If you want to see a multi-table maniac who makes a ton of cash on a very regular basis... his online name is ADZ124. Although, I have been away from the tables for awhile.....not sure if he still plays, but ADZ124 is one abusive player.

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

Dude, he doesn't even play cash games. He's got the edge in a tournament but it's a joke if you think he has an edge over him at a cash game.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

But he's got a book about cash games!@#$

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also the record for biggest pot won online ($700k?) and biggest pot won on HSP ($900k+).

Obviously he has a lot of gamble in him, and he gets action.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member