1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High school wrestler. has hair cut.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Dec 25, 2018.

?

Should he have had to cut his hair.

1. Yes

20.8%
  2. No

79.2%
  1. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's going to start to really cost people if this type of behavior continues someone is going to snap.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What type of behavior? Grooming rules in wrestling?

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you sure everything being posted there is factual?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do you think it isn't? It matches up with a lot of the experiences people relayed while they wrestled. This isn't an isolated thing in wrestling from how people talk.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they were following rules written well in advance that everyone should have been aware of and the kid agreed to have his hair cut in order to be allowed to wrestle, I don't see a problem with it at all. Sports have rules, if you want to play them, you have to abide by them. It's a voluntary decision.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The hair rule itself is fine. The problem here is the unprofessional way that the ref decided to enforce the rule. That kid was unnecessarily humiliated. I can think of at least 2 or 3 ways this situation could have been handled better. I could tell just from looking at the ref's demeanor that he gives off a strong "Respect My Authoritah!" vibe and enjoys the power trip.

There are right and wrong ways to enforce rules and policies, both from liability and ethical perspectives. This wrestling incident is an example of a wrong way.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Whatever. I'm far more concerned about other issues.

pgabriel and Bobbythegreat like this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed, however my issue is the way the media has handled this story further divides people. Just state the facts. None of the outlets i saw this story reported on mentioned if the kid was in violation of a rule.

A simple important yes or no factor.

Nook likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious, did any of the outlets mention that the ref had been accused of saying a racist term towards another ref? Or that he had had been inebriated at the time? Or that he had been suspended for a year and required to take alcohol awareness and sensitivity training?

Or did they report that the hair rule was changed a few seasons ago? Or did they report how much longer the wrestlers hair to be considered "too long". Did the articles report whether the wrestler had a cap earlier during the weigh-in? Did they report the referee wasn't there at the weigh in? Or that the wrestler had wrestled in a tournament the week before but this was the first dual meet.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-d...ho-forced-a-black-wrestler-to-cut-his-dreads/

11. NewRoxFan

Curious, did any of the outlets mention that the ref had been accused of saying a racist term towards another ref? Or that he had had been inebriated at the time? Or that he had been suspended for a year and required to take alcohol awareness and sensitivity training?

Or did they report that the hair rule was changed a few seasons ago? Or did they report how much longer the wrestlers hair to be considered "too long". Did the articles report whether the wrestler had a cap earlier during the weigh-in? Did they report the referee wasn't there at the weigh in? Or that the wrestler had wrestled in a tournament the week before but this was the first dual meet.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-d...ho-forced-a-black-wrestler-to-cut-his-dreads/

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes they made sure to talk about race not rules. Exactly my point

I did hear about the ref's history

Edit: the way this was reported on network news is ref forces kid to cut hair while no reason was given. Btw he had a a racial incident in his past. I was left wondering every time what reason did he give for forcing the cut

#32 pgabriel, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If anyone had attempted to do that to me back in the '60's when I had hair halfway down my back (no dreads, of course), I would have oiled my Ithaca pump. The ref isn't blaster worthy.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Model 37?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's a Model 37 that my father bought after he got out of the Navy at the end of WWII. A 20 gauge he had as long as I can remember. That makes it over 70 years old. A beautiful shotgun, in my humble opinion, and excellent for duck hunting. Dad is long gone, but the Ithaca remains, ready to go.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. edwardc

edwardc Member

No the racist behavior of some people. You know as well as other that this wasn't just about this young man's hair.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your outrage is noted!

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems the key fact was that he did not have the proper head gear available to cover his hair - but that fact seems to be in dispute. Just saying that it might be important to ascertain the truth of that before coming to a conclusion either way.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

LOl outrage really your funny if you think that but if your eyes are close what is one to expect.

20. NewRoxFan

Superintendent decides referee who made teen cut hair won't work in district again
    https://abc7ny.com/superintendent-d...cut-hair-wont-work-in-district-again/4975415/