1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School teams holds ball for entire 2nd quarter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smr6, Mar 12, 2013.

1. smr6

smr6 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...ntire-second-period-stall-then-191712805.html

How does the defense let them stand there throwing the ball between two players for an entire quarter?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Happens more often that you'd think. Lots of coaches use that approach. And why try and get the ball down only a few points with 2 quarters to go?

3. smr6

smr6 Member

Yeah I knew that teams run clock a lot in HS especially towards the end of games for a few mins. But I never knew they did for entire quarters. Then again I don't get to see much HS basketball. If I had a son and he played for a team that did this consistently it would be really really hard to show up and watch his games haha.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Can anyone explain to me why high school basketball still doesn't have a shot clock? There are a bunch of rec leagues with shot clocks.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The refs should be able to call an "Integrity Foul" on offending coaches when it become this blatant. Two free throws and the ball.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Totally legal. :eek: It's the other team's fault for not attempting to at least steal the ball or foul the stalling team on purpose to get the ball and get maybe two-for-one chances, even three-for-one, if they can rebound better...

Only in FOOTBALL (that's Soccer, for you Yanks) can the referee overrule one of these laws and call unsportsmanlike conduct and book the violator team or player for refusing to play the game. :cool: Check it.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

swoly once again proves his ignorance.

There is no rule against passing the ball between two players to waste time in soccer. Fact most teams do it all the time.

8. SwoLy-D

I never said there was a rule for that. I said that it's the only sport where there is a rule where a referee can call unsportsmanlike conduct on players refusing to play the game with skill to beat their opponent. THAT is in the rules. Read them, sir. :eek: LAW 12, Fouls and Misconduct.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

show me a time where that has happened.

10. supdudes

supdudes Member

Even when I played HS ball there was a shot clock.

11. SwoLy-D

TheRealist137, I can't show you in a professional game, because it hasn't been recorded yet, but the rule is there to prevent disrespect to the game. They are warned at professional games, before it even happens that they are about to be booked. They know cameras and the entire crowd is watching them do this, so they don't do it. I've seen it happen, but there's no video.

This is the only sport where it can happen. Dude, you haven't read the rules, have you? :confused:

EDIT: watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RdMKA9uMg and then read the description.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In related news, your mom held my balls for the entire 2nd quarter.

2 people like this.
  13. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-stall-to-advance-to-the-5A-championship.html

The same thing happened here in Utah between the #1 ranked team in the country Lone Peak and Brighton in a semi-final game except Brighton held onto the ball for 11 minutes. The last 3 minutes of the first quarter and all of the second quarter.

The shot clock issue has been brought up several times in the past to the UHSAA and every time it turns into a budget issue. UHSAA claims it would cost too much money to put shot clocks in every high school gym in Utah, which is complete BS.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Happened to us during a Christmas tournament my senior year. We played Bay City in the finals of the Brazoswood Tournament and they held the ball for pretty much the entire 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and we ended up losing by 4, I believe. Our coach said he wouldn't respond so we didn't foul or anything and he went as far as telling us not to line up after the game to "congratulate" the other team. The packed gym was booing the other team the entire time and booed their players when they announced the all-tournament team while ours received standing ovations. People don't like bull**** tactics.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

This. HS basketball sucks (or at least my school's conference), especially girl's basketball- every play's an isolation.

Why not put a 45 second shot clock in?

16. AXG

AXG Member

Why not foul? That way you stop the clock and get the ball back.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Was the coach JVG?

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This happened at my little brother's basketball game a few weeks ago. It was an 11-12 year old league and it was the playoffs and they were down like 5 in the 3rd. The other team would just walk the ball up and stand at half court. It wasn't until the parents started shouting at them to go steal the ball and put some pressure that they began to change their game plan. What baffles me more is that my brother's coach never once told them to put pressure on the ball until the crowd began too.

There should really be a shot clock in many more leagues.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Better yet, they should implement a 3 passes then shoot rule. or 8 second shot clock per possession. It would either be a super low scoring game or really high (at least for one of the teams).

20. DullahOblongata

I remember 2 years ago when my Basketball coach made us do this because the Refs were cheating their a** off against us. We held the ball for a quarter and a half (3rd and half of 4th).