1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School Musical

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

the songs on HSM are mediocre, I don't get the hype

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Blasphemy.
    I know all the song lyrics by heart.

:cool:

Most of the lyrics.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

High School Musical 2 stars have own high style

[​IMG]

By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL
    Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - If imitation is a form of flattery, it's likely we'll see a lot of girls dressed like Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale and Monique Coleman this fall.

They're the female leads of High School Musical 2, which many a tween girl - and some fans both older and younger - have been counting down to the premiere of the movie Aug. 17 on the Disney Channel. Each of the young women has a distinct style: bohemian, high-style and body-conscious.

It's a bit different from what they wear on the screen: For example, Tisdale's Sharpay is all glitz and sparkle, but for an interview the real Tisdale shows up in a sophisticated Rebecca Taylor crocheted minidress and Moschino red platform sandals.

The success of the original High School Musical went far beyond Disney's original intention to keep connected with tweens during the dreary winter months of 2006. The movie has been seen by more than 160 million people in more than 100 countries; its soundtrack was the best-selling album of 2006; and its stars became bona fide big names and trendsetters.

The red dress with a ruffle around the bustline that Hudgens' Gabriella wore in the movie's finale was actually a copy of a vintage dress that the actress owned in white. Similar styles were then offered by retailers for prom dresses and Halloween costumes, and it's what Mattel chose to dress its new singing Gabriella Barbie in.

Disney's Consumer Products division rushed out branded T-shirts, pajamas and backpacks into stores after failing to anticipate the initial demand for products, but this time there's a more cohesive marketing plan now with major retailers including Wal-Mart and Macy's, among others.

Potential breakout looks from the new movie include Sharpay's shiny star necklace or Gabriella's girlie white eyelet pieces.

Hudgens, Tisdale and Coleman talked with the AP about their own personal style - and even gushed like the high school girls they portray about how much they liked each other's looks:

---

VANESSA HUDGENS

Hudgens looks older than her 18 years when she's dressed up in an Alice McCall silver sleeveless blouse with a green ribbon around the neckline and Jimmy Choo snakeskin heels. She acknowledges, though, that as much fun as it's been having access to designer clothes and the occasions to wear them, she also likes to wear more comfortable bohemian-style clothes that match her personality.

Aside from the fedora moment she's having, she's been wearing a lot of minidresses and oversized off-the-shoulder T-shirts. She also loves clunky, chunky boots. But since she's in Los Angeles most of the time, she mostly wears sandals.

"Growing up, most of my clothes were hand-me-downs, or from Goodwill or a tag sale, but I didn't really care about my clothes,'' Hudgens says.

Or, at least she didn't care until she was on the verge of being a teenager.

"At 12 I got my first pair of Frankie Bs, my first pair of cool jeans,'' she recalls.

Hudgens met Tisdale on the set of a back-to-school Sears TV commercial long before they were reunited at East Side High. Hudgens said she always admired Tisdale's style even though she went through what they've dubbed her "fairy phase,'' wearing more than the norm of sparkly clothing.

Both Hudgens and Tisdale discourage their fans, especially young ones, from spending their money on pricey things with a fancy label.

"It's all about finding one cool piece - that's what I do at vintage shops, it's what I do at home. I pick one thing I really want to wear and plan everything around it,'' Hudgens says.

---

ASHLEY TISDALE

"Everyone goes through an awkward stage,'' announced Tisdale, who at 22 is clearly past hers.

She looks every bit the Hollywood starlet with perfectly styled hair and dark Chanel sunglasses, but Tisdale also seems very aware of all the ups and downs tween and teen girls go through, especially when it comes to their appearance.

She likes to see everyone put a bit of their personality into their look. She and Hudgens could walk into the same store, choose the same item but look totally different from each other. In fact, it's happened.

"One day we wore the same dress - it was a white summer dress. She wore it with these cute wedges and I wore it with shorts and a belt,'' she says.

Tisdale already started shopping for fall, picking up a parachute jacket from Ruehl No. 925 on this recent trip to New York.

Shopping for back-to-school clothes was a highlight of the year, she says, it was an annual tradition for herself, her sister and her grandmother when she still lived in New Jersey before moving to California. "I'd find that perfect outfit. It was a chance to be the new you - who you wanted to be.''

---

MONIQUE COLEMAN

She's the oldest of the bunch at 26, but Coleman says she's learned a lot about confidence and how to carry herself from her co-stars.

When she first began riding the High School Musical 2 bandwagon, she took the word of her stylist as gospel. She looked great but she didn't think she looked like herself.

"You know your body better than anyone and you know what you feel comfortable in,'' Coleman says, who plays the brainy character Taylor.

For her, key pieces include empire waist dresses (she's wearing a black silk one by Joie on this day) and shorts. She's very aware of her curvy figure and takes care to balance her outfit with a conservative bottom or top if her dress has a revealing neckline or her shorts are particularly short.

Coleman also knows what doesn't work: The loose bohemian styles that Hudgens favors. "I look like a balloon,'' Coleman says. That doesn't mean she has to be completely left out of the look, though. "I can always find one element of a trend that works,'' she says.

An off-the-shoulder top is her nod to boho.

Coleman says she can still play a high schooler because "my truest, most naked face looks 15 ... and without extensions I look 12.

She adds: "When I try to look older, I feel like I'm playing dress up.''

And with that, we are one week away, seven days away from the premier of High School Musical 2. I am pretty jacked up.

They are on the cover of TV Guide, and big stories in Newsweek and People and crap like that.

4. Astro101

Astro101 Member

What? Monique is 26? Damn. Anyway, can't wait to see Ashley Tisdale in HSM in a week!

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

High School Musical (whatever) = Gayest thing in the world since...clear Pepsi

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

plutoblue11, you are a hater!

hater hater

youre not even a planet!

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

There has been a buzz around my house waiting for this movie to come on. From my two 10 year old daughters, not from me. The talk about this is driving me nucking futz.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How many have even seen this movie.

This movie did not change my life or anything, but from start to end, the movie is good. It has something for the sports fan. That's how I caught on to this show the first time i saw it. I had to ask my lady friend about it to finally understand it.

It's Romeo and Juliet. Everyone loves Romeo and Juliet. It's Romeo and Juliet mixed in with Grease. It's a bunch of singing and dancing. It's Romeo and Juliet mixed in with Grease, mixed in with the NBA or atleast the NCAA.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The Colorful Fishwrap

[​IMG]
    From Left to Right
    Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens <3, Monique Coleman, Corbin Bleu, Lucas Grabeel and Zac Efron
    High School Musical 2 hits Aug. 17

Can 'High School Musical' do it again?
    By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

What time is it?
    If you're a preteen or teenager — or the parent of one* — you probably know the answer.

It's seven days, a few hours and way too many seconds until the sequel to the surprise TV hit of last year, High School Musical, airs on the Disney Channel on Aug. 17. Disney has given the movie's young fans a glimpse of what's to come by releasing What Time Is It, the first music video from High School Musical 2.

If you're not sure what this is all about, here's the score: High School Musical is a pop culture and marketing phenomenon, innocent enough for the Disney Channel and cool enough to fuel a new generation's interest in musicals.

Since its premiere in January 2006, the original two-hour TV movie has been seen by roughly 160 million people, according to Disney. It has generated $500 million in sales of DVDs, soundtracks (it was the No. 1 album of any type for 2006) and other retail items. There has been a concert tour by the cast and a stage version that just opened in Chicago. An ice show premieres in New York next month. The movie also has inspired about 2,000 real-life high school musical productions, Disney says.

Now the question is: Can Disney catch lightning in a bottle again, and come up with a sequel as popular as the original?

"Sequels have a built-in audience. Some people will see one even if it stinks," says Kirk Wakefield of Baylor University's music and entertainment marketing program. "The key is whether it sustains, whether it is as good in quality."

HSM 2 picks up after the original, which followed basketball star Troy Bolton (played by Zac Efron) and math wiz Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) as they reluctantly, then joyfully, sang their hearts out and fell for each other while trying out for East High's annual musical. The first movie's simple message: Don't let peer pressure keep you from your dreams.

"It has such a positive message for kids, teens and parents everywhere. It tells people to reach for their goals and that yes, you have to face many obstacles to get there, but anything is possible if you work hard and never give up," says Brittney Wooten, 17, of Knightdale, N.C., who's planning an HSM 2 viewing party.

At a time when children expect increasingly sophisticated animation in movies, TV shows and video games, the original HSM was a throwback: a live-action musical with catchy songs and a lead character (Efron's Troy) who fretted over what friends and his father might think about him singing. Girls are HSM's core fan base, but it gained fans among boys by building sports into the story.

To observers of cultural trends, HSM's broad appeal is part of a larger picture.

"It keys into the popularity of music and dance that's sweeping the country with shows like So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With the Stars and American Idol," says Neil Meron, producer of the new movie musical Hairspray.

"There's a hunger for that type of entertainment," says Meron, who didn't work on HSM. "There are no more variety shows, so people are getting a taste of singing and dancing with musicals and (those) shows."

Disney tapped into a desire others weren't satisfying, says Craig Zadan, Meron's producing partner on Hairspray and Oscar-winner Chicago. (They're working on a new Peter Pan movie for ABC.)

"Nobody had bothered to make a movie musical for kids," Zadan says. "The moment Disney Channel was smart enough to do one, it was a sensation."

Rick Adams, who hosts Radio KOL, an Internet radio show aimed at kids, thinks HSM picks up not only on Idol's sense of fascination with the audition process but also on the feeling "that it's good to stand up and be counted when it comes to your own talent." He says that's often a revelation for adolescents struggling to establish their own identity.

HSM executive producer Bill Borden says many boys saw themselves in Troy, a basketball star who initially was reluctant to sing in a musical. "I have three boys who love musicals. They all dance. I figured if these three kids — who were already into sports — liked musicals, why wouldn't other boys?" Borden says. "That's part of why the movie starts with a boy (doing) karaoke. And the very first dance after that was a sports thing, so (boys in the audience) wouldn't say, 'I'm going to leave … because this is a girls' movie.' "

The HSM movies could energize a pop music format that has faded in popularity, says Nancy King, director of the center for entertainment and tourism at California State University-Fullerton. "Pop music in the early 2000s kind of died off. Things like High School Musical drove this (genre) back."

Sequel a bit more 'mature'

HSM 2 starts as school lets out, taking the East High Wildcats — including spoiled drama queen Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale), her brother Ryan (Lucas Grabeel) and Troy and Gabriella's pals Chad (Corbin Bleu) and Taylor (Monique Coleman) — to a ritzy country club for work, play and more music.

Troy's moral compass takes a spin when he must weigh Sharpay's blandishments, including a cushy job and potential college scholarship, against his loyalty to Gabriella and his other friends.

The sequel is "a scootch more mature," Disney Channel Worldwide entertainment chief Gary Marsh says. That means that in the sequel, unlike the original, there is a real kiss. Even so, HSM 2 is still solidly G-rated chaste.

"It's still Disney Channel," Borden says.

Borden says children who sometimes face harsh situations at school see such innocence as ideal.

"I actually think that's the high school every kid would want," he says. "They want to be able to walk into high school and enjoy it. They want to be able to change cliques. They want to be able to be a rock star."

The HSM cast members have become just that. Efron, 19, is now a staple of teen magazine covers and stars in the Hairspray movie. In early July, screaming girls lined up in the rain eight hours before the London premiere of Hairspray to get a peek at Efron.

When the HSM cast's concert tour arrived in Brazil in May, camera-toting drivers followed the group's bus from the airport. And last week, HSM fans crowded New York's Times Square when cast members appeared on ABC's Good Morning America.

"It's testament to how the movie crosses cultural, international and class boundaries," Coleman says.

Efron and Hudgens got a dose of the frenzy at a recent Los Angeles Sparks WNBA game.

"There was a huge group of kids, probably 200, who wanted autographs," says Hudgens, 18. "We went up into the lobby, and the entire way there people were just reaching, grabbing at you, touching you. And at that moment, I was a Beatle."

The influence of teens and "tweens" — that marketing target group of kids ages 9 to 14 — who watch their favorite shows and movies over and over again is on full display now, says Rich Ross, president of Disney Channel Worldwide.

"Everybody is reading Harry Potter and going to see Transformers," he says. "High School Musical fits very nicely into a summer of opportunity for kids."

HSM's appeal has spread from tweens to their older sisters and younger brothers and parents, well beyond the age range Disney had in mind when it made the original movie.

Efron says he has talked to "super-excited" parents, has friends at UCLA who enjoy the film and has some fan mail that comes in "very, very premature handwriting."

For marketers, the tween appeal goes beyond intense devotion. "Almost all of their spending dollars are discretionary," Baylor's Wakefield says. "And music is one of the most important parts of their discretionary income. It's a key social element."

The new 'Grease'?

HSM would not have worked if it hadn't been of high quality, says Adams, who calls it "the new Grease" and praises the talent of the cast and the "genius" of director-choreographer Kenny Ortega.

Teens and parents appreciate the original movie's positive messages — even if they are delivered with "a ton of tentacles" from Disney, a company renowned for its ability to package and market images, says Lyn Mikel Brown, co-author of Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters From Marketers' Schemes.

Although Musical's 2006 premiere audience of 7.7 million has since been surpassed as a record for the Disney Channel by Cheetah Girls 2 and Bleu's Jump In! (which scored a new Disney Channel record of 8.2 million), few TV movies have shown HSM's staying power.

Movies generally lose much of their audience in just the first rerun on TV, but HSM's 21st showing on the Disney Channel in July was still a top cable draw with 5.8 million viewers — 75% of the premiere's audience. It was the most-watched basic cable movie of the month.

HSM, the movies that followed and hit series such as Hannah Montana have ushered in a new era of popularity for Disney Channel, and narrowed the audience gap between it and chief competitor Nickelodeon, Katz Television Group analyst Bill Carroll says.

" Given that at points in the past, Nickelodeon was head and shoulders above Disney Channel, to roughly have parity has to be a huge victory," Carroll says.

The HSM promotional strategy Disney is re-creating for the sequel includes teases, such as music video premieres on Disney Channel and disney.com.

Disney also is making the new movie available in advance for some cable subscribers, via on-demand service.

Promotion also will be heavy on the Radio Disney network, which helped make the HSM soundtrack last year's No. 1 album with more than 7 million copies sold worldwide.

Cast members' exposure on Radio Disney also has helped individual careers as Bleu, Tisdale and Hudgens have released hit albums.

Based on the buzz already, many analysts are expecting HSM2 to match or exceed the premiere ratings of its predecessor.

Disney and Borden already are planning a big-screen HSM that would take the characters through the senior prom and graduation, although the cast members aren't signed for that project.

After seeing the What Time Is It video, Radio KOL's Adams says HSM 2's prospects are bright. "If that's anything to go by, it's going to be even better than the first," he says.

But one song does not a musical make, Adams adds, and a huge hit can create an even steeper path for a sequel.

"Grease 2 wasn't that good, was it?"

*i'm not a parent, but it feels damn close.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I REALLY think Kam wishes he were still in high school.

:)

kam, face it

only teenage girls like this movie.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

see post 70.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

in 30 minutes, The Suite Life of Zac and Cody comes on.

It's the High School Musical edition.

Comcast Channel 41 in Houston.

15. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

I think I'm gonna watch this episode. I like Suite Life sometimes..

BTW my niece looks ALOT like Vanessa Hudgens. Even her agent says so.

:p But she's only 13.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Tell her wassup? in about five or six years.

Watching it now!..
    WOOHOOO.

btw folks.

Craig Biggio Don't Dance.

17. sharona49er

sharona49er New Member

I've seen High School Musical so many times I've lost count. My daughters and I had a date to go to The Aquarium this Friday, but they cancelled on me since Friday is the premiere of HSM 2. I've always said HSM is the Grease for their generation. And speaking of Grease....it's on now and so is Grease 2.....two other movies my daughters love.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

they have their priorities set. i don't blame them.

it has been shown on disney 21 times, and the ratings have been steadily high for each showing.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

if you have never seen High School Musical before, and are still wondering what the hype is about, this is your chance to find out.

They are showing the original HSM tonight at 7PM to get you ready for HSM 2 tommorow.

It's the sing along so you can sing with your kids.

Believe it.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think I'm this close to fronting the money for Kam to get laid.