1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School French Kid Put In Prison This Week For Linking To Charlie Hebdo Parody Cartoon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jan 24, 2015.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol at this thread being 2 pages with very little actual discussion on how France doesn't actually care about "freedom of speech and expression."

There's just a lot of pissing about the views of other posters. As usual.

This makes France look really hypocritical. But that's the norm. Where's the vitriol laced outrage against this?

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Seriously ,do u PMS all the time!

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The French are unabashedly not in favor of freedom of speech that they consider "detrimental to public order". I heard so many senior French diplomats and ministers explaining this over and over in the US media in the days after the attacks that I'm surprised that anybody is surprised.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm pretty sure people are surprised because they do not see how linking to a cartoon is detrimental to public order.

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I don't see how any speech is, which is why I put it in quotes, but I do understand that they outlaw headscarves in public schools under the same rationale. They are remarkably consistent, if not entirely understandable.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What a bunch of nonsense. Somehow you three have managed to turn what is nothing less than an obsession with what happens in Muslim countries into everyone else being racist. Whaaaaat?

I don't recall Muslim obsessed ATW posting ad nauseum about the murder and imprisonmemt of people exercising speech, including journalists, that happens in Russia, China, Mexico, South America, etc. I have no doubt however that you would be educating all of us about it if they were Muslims.

Please proceed with your hypocrisy. Thanks.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If consistency was the virtue that made stifling "freedom" acceptable, no one would be griping when someone in an Islamic country is imprisoned for exercising their "freedom."

Both should induce an equal reaction. Certain posters here only feel the need to comment on one, but try their best to remain "unbiased" while paying lip service to the other.

Do you feel that people should not be surprised at one but surprised at the other?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't recall you posting about it either. Yet, you get very angry when freedom of speech is restricted for people supporting Islamist terrorists.

Back to you.

9. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

They are what they are.

If you support forcing the French to turn into little smelly Beret wearing funny sounding Americans, you presumably should then support invading Iraq and turning them into little date and humus eating funny sounding Americans, and so on and so forth until "it's a small world, after all" and everybody is exactly like you, outside of superficial differences.

Personally, I'm more concerned with myself and my country being the way I like it than forcing others to conform to being like me whether they want to or not, so long as they aren't directly imposing on me.

They should be free to live however stupidly they want. In the near limitless list of global injustices in the world, this particular one seems pretty benign relative to some.

Telling external cultures how you are going to allow them to organize themselves is a pretty slippery slope. The French aren't Americans, any more than Chinese are Americans or Pakistanis are Americans. People who want to come live free like Americans are perfectly free to apply for residency in America and leave the French to be French. Short of overt war mongering or genocide, it's just another day on planet Earth.