1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School French Kid Put In Prison This Week For Linking To Charlie Hebdo Parody Cartoon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jan 24, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wrong. This post here was probably too nuanced for you to comprehend, but I'll repost it for you. In response to

I posted this:

So, as you can see, I do not "hate anyone who practices Islam". Let's address your next lie as well:

Once again, don't let anything get in the way of the little black and white world you painted for yourself, but regarding Guantanamo, I will just let two of my past posts speak for themselves to prove you wrong:

That was in 2011.

I posted that in 2003.

I have been pretty consistent about Guantanamo, over many years. But don't let these facts get into the way of your lies.

You know what, I'll show you how this works:

Bold and underlined edits by me - just to show how easy it is to put words into other people's mouths, which is what you were trying to do here, in a despicable way.

#21 AroundTheWorld, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Outside of actually directly harming someone (yelling fire in a theater), when did free speech matter as to who gave the speech or for what intent or purpose? You just basically said there is no free speech or, free speech is only allowable for some and not for others.

3. Nook

Nook Member

First it is France and they are very weird when it comes to freedom of speech.

Second, I don't think someone looking at the cartoon at issue should go to jail or really suffer any consequences.

The whole thing is unfortunate. Had the kid planned terrorism or carried out terrorism... Feel free to put one in his head. Read a cartoon? Protest if you really find it in poor taste.. I suppose.. But arrest? No, typical French though.

4. Remii

Remii Member

I think we can agree that both the kid and the Saudi blogger shouldn't be punished for what they did... Right...???

Well, the only difference between the French and Saudi Arabia in this case is the method of punishment. So if I don't agree with either being punished in the 1st place there's no way I can pick a side regardless of the method of punishment.

You pick sides because you have an agenda. You're so transparent. Lol...

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are so dumb, it would be a waste of time to respond to you.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I appreciate you response

maybe I am picking up on a nuances that seem
    to contradict sometimes what you say
    but
    I will take you at your word.
    I will even apologize for any character assassination you feel i have done you

however
    You do seem to definitely have a 'sensativity' for Islam
    It shows itself all the time .. . and it is quite easy to read between the lineS
    and come to the conclusion that I have that
    You don't like them . .. . . .

Rocket River

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Arresting people for freedom of speech while boasting your freedom of speech isn't understandable. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

The Saudis are a bunch of scumbags and don't claim freedom of speech or democracy. So for you to equivocate France to such a despicable regime speaks volumes. We expect backwards ass societies to behave like they live in the 1500's, we don't expect it of modern countries like France.

Carry on with your crusade.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Says the guy who subscribes to various blogs that could as a group be generically called "Islamaphobic talking point of the day"

Hey ATW, islamaphobia.com seems to still be available. You should grab it asap. Good way to meet your fellow travellers.

Maybe even make a living out of it under the theory of doing what you love.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Accepted.

Do you realize the mistake you make in that paragraph?

"Sensitivity for Islam" - yes, of course - why not have a sensitivity for an ideology that demands death for those who no longer want to follow it, death for homosexuals, subjugation of women, etc.... did you even read the post at all that I quoted for you? Why would one not have a "sensitivity" for that?

But then you end your little paragraph with "you don't like them" - so your mistake is - you start talking about sensitivity for Islam - then switch to Muslims as people. Just seems like you didn't comprehend the point of my quoted post at all.

I most certainly did not equate France to Saudi Arabia - you and your fellow haters of Western freedom did. And once again, the usual excuse of dumb leftists is used: "I don't criticize it when Islamists do it because it is expected. I only criticize it when Western societies do it because I hold them to a higher standard". Plus, if you cannot see the difference between arresting someone for a hearing for supporting recent murders and terrorism (which I still view as an overreaction) and giving someone 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for having a blog in which some religious figures are questioned (and your lawyer being put in jail, too) - then you have no moral compass whatsoever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raif_Badawi

So much hate in your heart, glynch. I wish you the best.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you're not equivocating it and then you give another equivocation? The fact is you have lost your damn mind. I'm a "hater of Western freedom"? LOL Freaking please.

Again you defend arresting someone for freedom of speech. Maybe it's because you're a Euro and I'm an American where we defend the right of anyone to say whatever the hell they want because we're actually about freedom of speech, we don't pay it lip service like a bunch of dramatic little girls. We don't run around making of fun of people and then arrest those people when they make fun of us. Freedom of speech in our country isn't just free when the speech is convenient. It's a damn cartoon this kid posted. I don't give damn what's on the cartoon. You don't arrest or kill people for ****ing cartoons. Get a grip.

This thread is about what how the French are restricting freedom of speech and all you've done is post the garbage they're doing in Saudi Arabia. Like you couldn't go another thread without posting more Islamist crap. Jesus.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not defending it. I said I think it's a mistake and an overreaction. Maybe you missed that while your anger was hampering your ability to read.

I just find it remarkable that it makes you so angry and self-righteous, when freedom of speech is suppressed in much more terrible fashion in countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, even Turkey (the country that has jailed more journalists than any other country). Why does it make you so angry when it happens to those who are on the side of Islamists but not when Islamists do it?

Again - I said I don't think whoever drew that cartoon or published it should have been arrested. If you weren't so caught up in your fake anger, you could have actually read that.

Correct - please tell your Islamist friends. Thanks in advance.

I am just putting into perspective your self-righteous anger about France, and pointing out that none of that anger comes out to criticize countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE or even Turkey, which are 10000000 x worse than France ever was or will be when it comes to freedom of speech.

#31 AroundTheWorld, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This. This still goes back to my issue with a lot of radical left public intellectuals that have an anachronistic and patronizing view of third world people (especially those from Africa and Middle East) as "noble savages."

13. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly... It is a narrative that is so embedded into their belief system that they contort to ridiculous extremes to validate their beliefs and excuses.

The noble American Indian, African tribesman or Middle Eastern Bedouin... When they are all flawed and deserve to be judged by the same standard as anyone else.

Sometimes wrong is just wrong and evil is evil.

14. Buck Turgidson

I wish someone would restrict Rocket River's freedom to terrorize the English language.

2 people like this.
  15. Remii

Remii Member

The reason I criticize the French more because better is expected of them... If you have kids you may expect your 10 year old to know better than your 4 year old. Same principles apply.

Those people are stuck in a time machine... They have public executions with freakin swords and chop off people's heads.
    http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=32529
    They've been doing that type of stuff over there for a long time and now all of sudden you guys decide to be outraged about it.

But instead of pointing your fingers at the 'lefties' as if it's their fault... Why don't you come up with some solutions. Are you going to start a petition (if so I'll sign) demanding that they please stop and send some pamphlets on how to treat people... Do you think that would work...??? Are you going to fly over there and protest (count me out on that one)... Are you going to protest the US government to send soldiers over there and invade and make them behave how we think they should...???

But whatever you decide to do about the situation over there besides pointing your finger at the lefties... Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

So much for free speech and freedom of expression as principles...instead those in power and many of the "supporters" of the issue here on ClutchFans cherry pick when they want to apply it (usually when it benefits them) and when they don't. It's nothing but a bunch of double-standards and hypocrisy.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Difference is clear..

The blogger is an adult who knew what punishment he might face if he did what he thought was rights to do.no one lied to him to belive that he can express whatever he think it's right.

The kid on other hand, was misled that he was living in free speech society , to find out the hard way ..how speech has its limits, how those shiny so called civil freedoms can be waived .

And yes I give credit to the Saudis for not being hypocrites like others

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well Said

Rocket River

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

When Rocket River tells Kwame and Exiled "Well Said"...one thing is clear:

Something really, really stupid must have been said.