1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

high school coaching and morality.....

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by bronxfan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6434832

beyond shaking my head and thinking "what an idiot" this article made me think of the following...
    (maybe its my age or the fact that in a few years I'll have a kid in high school)

his line about "normal locker room banter" is true amongst players, but should this be true between coaches/players. not the sexualness of the comment but the vulgarity in general. I mean for professionals and colleges where the players are adult (supposidely) I have no problem. but what gives high school coaches the right to constantly cuss in front of minors. i don't have a problem yelling to motivate players. but when did coaches get to cross the line.

we b**** about primadonna athletes but I think stuff like this hurts, because when the coach's language is pushing the envelope, it implies to athletes that their world is "special" where they don't have to live by the rules of the rest of the school...

don't get me wrong - i yell at my kids from time to time, and occasionally they have heard me cuss in anger, but that's my right as a parent. i just don't feel that i have to share this right with a coach just so my kid can play a high school sport.

oh well, like i said maybe it's my age...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was fired for that?

What a joke !!!

I wish some of the pro players would check to see if they have any manhood left.

DD

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The sissification of America. I can't believe that this is even a story. I don't think that saying something about having balls is going to kill anyone. My high school football coach would have kicked our ass and then off the team if we had b****ed about being offended.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I may be in the minority, but I see nothing wrong with the speech...It wasn't sexual in nature, just trying to motivate...Now, actually putting your hands down there, yes, a little crazy, but in concept, not bad, IMHO...

5. updawg

updawg Member

getting rid of him is too much. maybe write him up or give him a warning.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Sam Cassell checks his on the court with a smile.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's a really interesting dichotomy, isn't it? It is often the most liberal who consider this justified and the most conservative who consider this more of the "wussification" of America. Yet, a large number of conservatives are Christian and Jesus would most certainly not approve of this kind of behavior.

I find it really ironic.

As for the coach, whatever. Lockers rooms are locker rooms. It's the nature of the beast. But, if a TEACHER is required to keep it clean, a coach should have to as well.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I've been coaching on and off for 15 years. I've never felt it was acceptable to curse at kids and its not my style, but to get canned for something like that is a little over the top.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

At least he didn't ask them what the capital of Thailand is.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

lol, it sounds like what a high school kid would say among his teammates on the playing field.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I doubt the evidence would stand up in court.

That admnistration needs to get a hold of themeselves.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bobby Knight is somewhere thinking . . .
    IS THAT ALL???

Rocket RIver

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Most laws usually include verbage referring "to a reasonable person". Unfortunately people aren't reasonable anymore.

Tards

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

KEEP THE COACH!

signed

(former) Representative Mark Foley (R-Fl)

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Jesus was a winner. the team won the game. Jesus would have approved.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I don't see anything wrong in saying this to a team of MEN.

If you don't get it, you never will. :rolleyes:

The part that was over the line was the doing. But still. Fired?

#16 IROC it, Feb 2, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yeah, his public comment to the media about Kevin Durant was classic Bobby Knight.

First of all let me say, I never curse under any circumstances. EVER! However, I've been in high school locker rooms before and the language some coaches use makes your hair stand up. The language that some very famous college basketball coaches use would stun the public if it were widely known. How this guy got fired with everything else that goes on is amazing. I don't condone vulgarity, whatever the situation, but for this guy to lose his job when so many others are much worse is amazing to me.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

this reminds me of a pe teacher from highschool. i don't think he had any real teaching qualification but was a former olympian or prominient sportsmen from some eastern bloc country.

anyway the class was mucking around too much so he got us to stand in line and said something like "your all acting like girls, are there any men here, maybe i'm teaching girls, pull down your shorts let me check". we didn't but another smart ass class did.