1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High-Quality Action Drama Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kim, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I can enjoy a variety of tv show genres, but I'm currently in the action drama mood (cop shows, spy shows) and would like some recommendations please. The main stipulation is that my BS tolerance is very low. I love smart protagonists, smart antagonists, the randomness of life, prices being paid for dumb decisions, and few impossible odds being overcome by continued luck. Action dramas that fit that mold that I've really enjoyed:

The Wire
    Justified
    Southland
    Jack Ryan (season 1)
    The Bodyguard (UK)
    Fargo

I've quit on Narcos Mexico, because there's just too much of the close call storytelling technique being used. I enjoyed Narcos (1-3), but those parts started to irritate me - the true story was awesome enough. I don't know if I'm able to communicate it well, but the best I can do is give an example.

Take the Oscar winning (or nominated) Argo - very good-to-great movie. I enjoyed most of it, but when it came to the final airport runway scene, I sniffed the BS (which was later confirmed by Affleck in interviews). It's already a compelling enough story that happened in real life. There's already enough drama in trying to sneak the Americans through the airport as fake Canadians. They didn't have to add the timing drama of some Iranian military finding real documents shredded up and put together by children that leads to them almost catching the plane as it's taking off. The in-authenticity of that moment sours me. It wasn't so bad in Argo, but crap like that is way overdone in most action dramas.

If it's based on true events, I'm okay with dramatic liberties, but it needs to feel real to me or I'm just fast-forwarding or even quitting on the show. I loved The Shield back in the day, but I don't think I can do it now. Homeland has become progressively worse. Sorry for the weird nuance. Any ideas?

K mf G likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Breaking Bad?

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Or Better Call Saul... though it's not what I would describe as "action packed", It's got action and drama. Basically half the show is centered around Jimmy McGill (Saul) and his life's trials and tribulations (personal and professional) and half the show is centered around the drug industry/criminal networks/action... it's really well done and smart though.

Kim likes this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

ZeroZeroZero.

I'm just part way through, but the cinematography and production values are off the charts.

The story is a bit complicated and alternates between English and non-English speaking characters, so it requires your full attention. It's excellent, IMO.

Bosch is another you might like. Season 1 was the worst of them so far, so you might want to start with 2. Both shows are on Amazon.

Deckard and Kim like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Try Bosch on Amazon Prime.

Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Bosch is pretty solid. Im wrapping up that series now.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm one of the few who started when episode 1 aired on tv, but after the pinnacle of the Face/Off episode, it fell out of favor. Still enjoyed the superb acting.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bosch is really good. The novels, by Michael Connelly, are terrific.

There's an excellent British "detective murder mystery thriller" that takes place in Northern Ireland, @Kim, The Fall, that you might like. It stars Gillian Anderson as Detective Stella Gibson (Anderson was David Duchovny's partner in The X-Files), and Jamie Dornan, the male lead in 50 Shades of Grey, as a serial killer who is diabolically good at covering his tracks. Gibson, a senior detective, is sent from London in an effort to catch this guy.

Anderson, much older, is still sexy as hell, and Dornan, born in Northern Ireland himself, is a terrific actor, which you would never know from watching Shades of Grey. There are 17 episodes in total, and while you may not think it "action packed" if you don't consider seeing Mr Dornan murder one woman after another while Stella and her cohorts try to figure out who's doing it, and stop him, it grabs you and pulls you in. I loved it.

I'm mainlining Pacifico beer, or I could think of some more possibilities. The first two seasons of Sherlock, the British TV series, are very, very good (especially season 1), but it goes downhill from there, in my opinion.

Blake, peleincubus, malakas and 2 others like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Counterpart, Band of Brothers, The Night Manager, The Pacific, Startup.

Kim likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Money Heist
    (aka La Casa de Papel)

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Forgot to add True Detective season 1 and Night Manager to the quality list. Thanks for the suggestions.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. heypartner

also, Banshee

13. likestohypeguy

What immediately came to mind, as I'm currently watching. Didn't mention it, only because he said high quality, and I'm sure it's not quite that. Ocean's themed action spanish soap opera, with emphasis on the latter- cliche romance angles driving so much of it. But that's what it is, and the characters are great ( you gotta love the professor), and it's fun to watch.

Like so many of these series it would have made a better movie. But then it would have just been the spanish version of Inside Man, that it blatantly lifted some pretty specific ideas from. Still, yes I too recommend it, depending on your dramatic cheese tolerance.

14. likestohypeguy

And interesting smoking hot women. Not just looks, but how she acts reminds me of Holly from die hard

[​IMG]

NewRoxFan and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Granted, it’s only one man’s opinion, but if you haven’t seen this, stop whatever you’re doing (unless .....maybe......providing for your family) and WATCH it.

arkoe likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’m finding Westwood fantastic both in drama and action. The acting is top notch and Anthony Hopkins plays a big role.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Westworld and Man in the High Castle. also just binged True Detective, enjoyed that a lot

18. heypartner

Deadwood meets Westworld?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks... won't get any work done today...

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Banshee is AMAZING, but there is a little bit of "turn your brain off" element to it. But it turned out to be way less than I expected when it started. I'll probably give that one a rewatch sometime in the future. Some serious top quality hotties getting nekid in that show as well.

I would also recommend The Americans. I know it is a little older and I just finished it up a few months back. Really enjoyed it.