1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High pick and roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rlmjdime, Oct 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Seeing that we've played the jazz so many times in the playoffs, I've gotten a chance to hate every bit of the P&R. My question is not so much why we have problems defending it, but why we can't get the same separation when we run our picks. Ellis made his living, as well as Curry, off the pick last night. Are we just that lazy when setting picks or is there something else going on?

1 person likes this.
  2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The ballhandler needs a particular set of skills to run the pick and roll effectively. We do not have any player who has those skills.

1 person likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correct.

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Lol. I was about to say, we don't have Deron or Stockton.

5. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Hard for me to believe the answer is as simplistic as this. I'm not sure what Ellis and Curry have in their skillset to get around a pick that Aaron and Kmart don't. Can you go into it a bit more for understanding?

6. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

yea, our D against the P&R is sad....its like our defender gets so "picked" that he can't move at all for a good few seconds...it is very frustrating.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Quick decision making+ballhandling ability+quickness to penetrate+passing ability+ability to finish at the basket or get off a quick open shot in the middle of the paint+accurate pull up jumper=perfect pick and roll ballhandler

The more you're missing, the less effective you are. Also your pick and roll big has to have a different set of abilities that are necessary for success on that end, otherwise the defense will just double team the ballhandler.

8. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

It always amuses me how the P & R is the most basic play in BBall and typically you will get a good shot off if you run it right, and yet so many players in pick up games will wave their screening teammates off and go 1 on 1.

Idiots.

9. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Thanks man. That makes a little more sense to me.