1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High Draft Pick or Make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblaze, Aug 14, 2009.

?

which scenerio would you pick?

1. High draft pick

197 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Make the playoffs

208 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

2. I_Luv_U_LA

I_Luv_U_LA Member

If I`m a Rocket fan I would for sure like to see my team make the PLAYOFFS, specialy after what houston did last year, if they had just beaten LA who knows where the rockets could go!! maybe to the Finals and WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!,, I`d say make the PLAYOFFS and try to compete ;)

3. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

If you want us to tank... basically means you want the Rockets to lose.

As a fan - I don't think that should ever be an option. But that's just me.

4. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

I prefer John Wall then Championship, but unless you guarantee we get John Wall then I would go tank mode, otherwise what are the chances of us getting John Wall even if we tank the whole season? Like 10?

I rather develop our young guns and build on chemistry.

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

If we make the playoffs were not going to make any noise so no point of doing that because we will only be disappointed at the end. The farthest we will go is the first round. Lets get some young talent.

6. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Trading Yao for a lottery pick should do it. I believe this group will make the playoffs.

7. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Do it through trades and/or signing of free agents but do not waste one season just because people are counting them out as early as the off season.

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Really now. :rolleyes: Teams compete to win and not just get the best players.

9. Rambo

Rambo Member

Making the playoffs without an all star would nab us a better player in free agency 2010 than the lottery would. When the allstar FA's next year see how the Rockets made the playoffs without any star power, they will surely take a look at Houston. Stars who want to win, want a good supporting cast with role players.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

If I could.... I would rep you.

Nailed it beautifully, good sir.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They sure did, but how did that help their franchise? It gave Don Nelson the cushion to have another few years of fielding a team of all shooting guards, which resulted in a decent yet playoff-less season in 2008 and a crappy team last year, with the Dallas upset being a distant memory.

No guarantees of course, but a high lotto pick in 2007 (the year they beat Dallas) would have been Oden-Durant-Horford etc.

12. Prince

Prince Member

Let them play to develop their games.

If they do good, great, we'll be in th eplayoffs.

If they do bad, we'll trade them and we'll get good draft pick. ultimately bad.

tanking is for losers.

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Slowly it is becoming clearer. :D Just rust the team and let us see where it would lead them.

14. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Hopefully they don't do another Battier trade.

Today it would be something like this:

Rockets Trade:
    Lottery Pick
    Joey Dorsey

for

Mike Miller :eek:

15. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

That actually would not be bad at all.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we were in this surcumstances last year and someone proposed to tank the season for a high draft pick in the 2009 NBA draft I would have said NO!!! But given that this is the strongest draft since 2003.........i can't help but think tank, But with that said i don't think we need to tank the whole season to have a good chance at a high draft pick, just near the end like around march if were not close to Playoff contentention which i think is big possibility given how strong the west is..... :)

PS. the polls are a lot closer than what i thought they were going to be= Playoffs 70%/ High Pick 30% :D

17. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Tell Les Alexander that we should tank for a high draft pick. You think he'll take a pass at additional revenue from playoff games... in this economy?

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Actually, given those options, tanking would be the prudent thing to do. You honestly think the 2010 playoff revenue (lets be optimistic and say there will be 6 postseason games) will exceed the future stream of revenue generated by a high draft pick?

19. joelofengland

joelofengland Member

thank f*** someone's noticed already!!! :)

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Exactly..... especially if we get someone extremely marketable like John Wall or Derrick Favors :D