1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High Draft Pick or Make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblaze, Aug 14, 2009.

?

which scenerio would you pick?

1. High draft pick

197 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Make the playoffs

208 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Now imagine that same team with a high draft pick from a good draft pool, Yao Ming, a max free agent, and a hopefully resigned, at least 75% of what he was, McGrady (as long as Les is willing to exceed the luxury tax and in doing so use McGrady's bird rights). Personally, I think that would be one heck of a ride.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I think we all realise Yao Ming is already resigned for the 2010-2011 season due to his injuries which will keep him out of the whole of next season.

And...HIGH DRAFT PICK ANYDAY!!!

who dares to disagree is shortsighted (tough statement I know but thats the reality)

cos its sooo fun getting bounced by the Lakers or the Spurs in round 1 in 4 blowout defeats thats over before 3rd quarter ends with Les earning a grand total playoff income of .3453 million dollars.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The combination of additions to which you refer is literally impossible.

First of all, the Rockets CANNOT add a max free agent next season without waiving or not picking up team options on half of their rotation.

Second, if the Rockets re-sign T-Mac, it will basically use up almost all of the Rockets' cap space.

Third, the Rockets are unlikely to get anywhere near the luxury tax next season unless T-Mac/major FA, Scola and Lowry are all signed to lucrative deals with high starting salaries.

Fourth, if the Rockets get a high draft pick, that player's rookie scale salary will count against the cap and would most likely prevent the Rockets from having enough cap room to sign a max (or even major dollar) free agent.

But the Rockets could conceivably add: Yao Ming and ONE of the following combinations:

(1) High dollar (but not max) free agent and mid-first round pick

(2) Not-quite-as-high dollar free agent and high draft pick

(3) Re-signed Tracy McGrady and any level draft pick

4. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I'm afraid that's not happening. We don't have enough cap space to sign a max free agent unless we cut Brooks/Scola/Hayes/Dorsey/Lowry/McGrady/Cook/Barry loose. Pretty much our whole team. :(

Best case scenario: McGrady rehabs well and return to his 07-08 old self then we re-sign him to a smaller contract after this one expires.

Worst case scenario: Morey manages to trade Scola/McGrady/2010 1st round pick to the Raptors for Bosh and some fillers. Bosh bails on us in 2010.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Again. props to the salary cap expert Bimathug. :D

6. jevjnd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the team sign a high-dollar free agent (Wade, who'd play for less than max to play on a contender), and then subsequently resign McGrady as long as Les is willing to go over the luxury tax? My understanding was that this could happen as long as the team holds off on resigning McGrady (due to bird rights) and of course in doing so signs said hypothetical high-dollar free agent first? There has to be some flexibility. Regardless of the fact, I still think that a high lottery pick in a strong draft never sucks.

7. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Lets tank, tell yao to opt out and sign for less..... get a high draft pick(pg), try to get bosh and maybe joe johnson.
    let go of tmac....
    but we will have to let go of kyle though and possibly chuck.
    then we can try and get good trades off of luis scola or carl landry to try to land a nice sg maybe rudy fernandez, so we can make room for bosh.

Depth Chart

Aaron brooks/Draft Pick
    Joe Johnson/Rudy Fernandez/Jermaine Taylor
    Trevor Ariza/Shane Battier/Chase Budinger
    Chris Bosh/ Luis Scola or Carl Landry
    Yao Ming/David Andersen

and bam, were right back in the game against the big dogs.
    wait we will be the big dogs.

wouldnt you rather do that than just lose in the first round and get nothing.

8. onreego

onreego Member

Its like "Get Big" and "Get Red" all in one post. But yeah these threads are getting as old as the "how come there are no videos off (name) passing?" one line posts.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That is incorrect. McGrady will continue to count against the salary cap for as long as the Rockets hold his rights. They would have to renounce McGrady's rights (which would include any Bird rights) in order to open up ANY salary cap room for the team.

Unless Tracy agrees to play for a small fraction of his previous salary, it will be very difficult/impossible for the Rockets to both keep McGrady AND sign a big money free agent.

10. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Same topic just reworded to sound intelligent and interesting. Just trust the team!

11. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Tank for the draft pick is my vote. No way can this team win a championship so we might as well try to restock with some young blood. Yao will be a serviceable part in the future, but the truth is you can't have him as the key to the team. He just can't stay healthy. I think everyone will be dissapointed when next year comes and we don't get any of the BIG TIME free agents. We are going to have to do this through drafting.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

are you kidding me. playoffs fo sho!!!

one its really painful for fans to sit through a tanking season, and the team will most likely lose a lot of its fan base

two, with a team like the rockets, we are not bad enough to get the top 3 pick anyways.

plus Yao Mings going to come back after next year

IMO thinking about tanking before the season even starts proves what kind of fan you are

13. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

playoffs to prove that our season was worth it, i dont want us to be like the grizzly

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

ya and then they came back down to earth and lost... with the team as it stands currently they won't have to "tank" to be a lottery team, but if we get a 10 - 15 pick and morey wants a player in the top five then morey will make a trade to get there. :eek:

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is what I think.

I am a HUGE fan, but I am all for essentially starting over. Yao may never be the same, Tmac is 99% likelyhood gone, and we have a young team that if we add a young possible superstar (John Wall :D), we could be DYNAMIC in 2 years.

If this team is a surprise and a top 4 seed and just is amazingly talented, then of course I'd love us to make playoffs and possibly make a splash, but as we are built and how our team seems, tanking for a good pick would be helpful imo.

16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It depends how they came by that high draft pick. If they played hard, did everything they could to win, both on the court and in the front office, and still ended up with the pick, OK. It would be the silver lining to a crappy season. If it meant the players, coaches or front office tanked to get the pick, no thanks. I'd rather they not tank and not win a championship than tank and later on win one because of it. There's no honor in tanking, and there's no glory in winning as a result of tanking.

17. jevjnd

Thank you very much my good man.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You should redo the poll. I bet if it was phrased differently, people wouldn't be saying playoffs.

Here's my idea of a new poll.

If you had to redo the 2005-2006 season, which scenario would you pick:

-Higher draft pick(Brandon Roy)
    -Try to make the playoffs and get a lower draft pick.

The Rockets are faced with the same scenario as 2005-2006 and it looks like they will repeat the same mistake. :mad:

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

actually yeah Brandon Roy was definitely our target in the draft...but if we made the playoffs that year as a fringe playoff team getting the 8th seed or something we'd have gotten Rajon Rondo. That dude is a beast and he went 21st. So if we wre the 8th seed in the playoffs we'd have got Rajon who's my fav player in the league and he'd have been great for us as well.

I just think we should tank it a lil and trust Morey to come up with what he's always been doing. Higher pick doesn't guarantee better player but it does make it much more likely. we're not going to repeat the same mistake twice under morey's command. not that he's ever got a lottery pick to work his magic with.

20. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think so. Not this time. We have a different coach, and it's more clear now that we have a huge talent deficiency.