1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High Draft Pick or Make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblaze, Aug 14, 2009.

?

which scenerio would you pick?

1. High draft pick

197 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Make the playoffs

208 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

From a business side: make the playoffs
    From a basketball side: lottery pick

2. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Playoffs.

Next season:

The young guys:
    A) Get to the playoffs with no 'stars'.

B) Develop their games much quicker than they would if they had to defer to stars.

C) Become stars.

The season after:

Yao comes back and we sign a decent FA and off we go.

3. Chamillionaire

i believe with or without yao or tracy, this is a playoff team. we're not going to tank. you can book it.

4. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Given the chance to make noise and go for the top prize, the team should do whatever is possible to achieve it. It would be a useless to waste a season and hope that everything falls into place the next season. This team was built to compete and should cherish each opportunity it gets to achieve the ultimate goal. It may sound difficult with the present team but things can happen.

5. Dei

Dei Member

why not both?

6. bladebucket05

bladebucket05 Member

i didnt even bother reading this threat. our goal should be to win a championship by al means.

lets just hope for a miracle and make the playoffs while we anticipate our GREAT WALL ,appearing out of know where.

7. bladebucket05

bladebucket05 Member

8. aristophanes34

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. el guapo

el guapo Member

its simple say if the rockets tank, tickets wont sell, players like scola and shane would want out, and what if we make the lottery we get a pick around the 12th, 13th, etc. never try to tank and ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Why yes, yes he is.

Feel free to jump on the bandwagon before it gets too full. ;)

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Too late, I got the last spot. John Wall in red and white!

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

I'll take the high draft pick, and I won't feel bad. The team is outmanned, as long as the guys play hard no logical person can blame them.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I firmly believe that, even if the Rockets fail to make the playoffs, they will be too good to have a realistic chance at a top pick. My guess would be that the Rockets would end up with a pick between 11 and 14. The chances at winning the lottery (and a top 3 pick) from those positions is minimal. Why not end up with the 17th pick AND make the playoffs? That pick would still be significantly higher than the Rockets have had at any point since 2002.

Tanking rarely works. The reason the Spurs are so often cited is because they are the exception, not the rule, in the lottery era. The past three years, the worst teams ended up disappointed.

Make the playoffs. Free agents will respect the franchise and be more willing to pick Houston.

14. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

True. Now if only this idea can be imposed on those who keep making threads suggesting to TANK the season. :eek:

15. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Sweet and simple, I like it. Just who in the world calls for the lottery when the season hasn't even started. As far as I'm concerned we are currently tied for 1st place. There's no reason to think we could even land close to the worst 10, we're just to damn good! Bring on L.A., bring on the Magic, Boston, and everyone else. :mad:

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Actually - wrong.

From a business side: make the playoffs
    From a basketball side: make the playoffs

The goal of any team is to win a championship. To win a championship you must first make the playoffs. Once you make the playoffs, you build from there.
    It just so happens that we'll have enough cap space to sign a max free agent next summer, and this 7'6 fellow will be back in uniform.
    Imagine Ming + a max FA to a team that just made the playoffs.

THAT is how you build towards a championship.

Everyone that voted "draft pick" = fail.

17. Rocketfanatic2

I don't see why many posters on this board think tanking would be the best way to go. The reason people watch their team is to see them win a championship, and how can you win a championship if your not even in the playoffs. Many of you would probably reply to that like it's better in the long run, or the future looks better that way, but you can't guarantee that a high draft pick equals a great player who produces better stats than most. It's just not that easy. It would be very risky. In fact, from 1998 to 2008, there have been 5 first overall picks that have not been able to live up to the hype, and 3 either weren't or haven't been big factors. Those players are Michael Olowokandi, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bogut, Andrea Bargnani, and Greg Oden. In other words, high picks aren't for sure great players, or even decent players. However, if we tank and get a high pick, so be it. None of us can affect the Rockets decision, so we can only hope that they make the smart move in the end. Still gotta have faith in our Rockets. :D

18. LeoUnot

LeoUnot Member

I'd rather make the playoffs. But why do half the people on this forum think our team will get a high draft pick? Too much talent and heart, so that even if we don't make the playoffs, we'll still win around 30-40 games.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You guys talk as if its sure we are going to make the playoffs. You might have forgotten what conference we are in. I believe it will be pretty hard and I can see already everyone saying in May next year: "I told you we should have tanked" when the Rockets miss the playoffs and get the 9th seed...
    All other teams have reloaded and are stronger than last year. Dallas, New Orleans, heck even Utah. We have no answer in the post, no scoring option.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LA, SA, Denver, Mavs, Port, Utah, NO are virtual locks which leaves one spot open.

We may not be a 50 win team, but could feasibly get in as the eigth seed with 40-45 wins if the Suns end up being no good.