1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hi Def TV/DVD Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JPM0016, Dec 18, 2006.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I am having this Hitachi 51' high def tv delivered this week. I'm looking for a good dvd player/recorder, preferrably with a vcr combo, not a neccessity however. I've been reading around and have found some of these DVR's won't record programming off of cable channels such as HBO and Showtime. I'm farely new when it comes to High Def and i know there are many here who are well versed in this area.

Also, the tv comes with a built in tuner which means i can watch high def programming without buying additional components. I have direct tv so what high def programming if any can i get without a new receiver, etc...?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if u have directv hd, then the tuner is pointless. you'll be watching directv all the time.
    the dvrs will record everything. you may have misinterpreted if the dvr is HD or not. I think the Directv one is out of stock, u need to talk to the directv guy and tell him exactly what u want.
    if u dont watch vcr, then dont get a combo player. get a sony or panasonic upconvert dvd player, be sure to buy the hdmi cables.

3. JPM0016

1.) I have regular Direct Tv. I plan on uprading to Direct Tv High Def but not right off the bat.

2.) Perhaps i worded it wrong. I want a DVD Player/Recorder. I've heard that certain brands such as Sony won't record off of certain channels like HBO due to copyright issues. I want something that will maximize the picture of this new tv, and that won't cost more than approx 300 dollars.

3.) The combo vcr was to record vhs tapes over to dvd. I don't have to have it, but if there is one that does it all and is very high quality i'll buy it.

4.) I have one HDMI output. Is there somewhere i could get a cheap splitter?

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have that same TV...I got it on Black Friday, but I'm thinking of taking it back now that I have the PS3...I think its on sale at Sears for 799 now...Here is the splitter..

Enjoy...

HDMI Splitter

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

What's the point in getting the TV if you aren't going to have HD television? It is going to look like **** on SD.

I don't have any experience with these. I suggest also that you get a DVR through your satellite provider.

Recording VHS tapes to DVD is still going to look like ****. DL or burn directly from a DVD.

No idea.

6. JPM0016

The Tv was given to me as a gift. I plan on getting Direct Tv High def but it costs money so hopefully by the end of January i'll have the funds to upgrade.

rr_gamz, how do you like the tv. What are some of the positives and negatives you've experienced with it?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Are the HDMI cable's from this site really better than the ones Time Warner provides? Do they really improve the HD picture? Also, is there anything else from this site you guys would recommend for enhancing my viewing pleasure? I'm currently using the basic cables that came with my Samsung, and although the picture in HD is awesome, if there are ways to improve it I'm all for it.

8. rrj_gamz

I had an old Toshiba 50", you know the big boxy kind, so going to a 51" Widescreen took some getting use to (it seems smaller)...Also, this unit isn't boxy, kinda curved, which I'm sure none of them are, but I have all these components and use to keep them on top of the old TV...Now, since I have room, I use the old set to hold my components and put the new one in front of it...

Overall, I do like it, its light, good picture, but I want a 1080P TV with a slight bigger screen, say 56" to 61"...I have to pay a restocking fee as I dont' have the box and I"m not sure I want to pay...

9. rrj_gamz

Not sure,but I would think HDMI is an HDMI, but Monster or other guys would tell you differently...TW just took over Dallas and our HD boxes are DVI, but I use the component cables they provide...

What basic cables are you talking about?

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm just using the basic component cables like I used on my last set, which wasn't HD. The guy who installed the TV suggested I atleast upgrade the HDMI cable for better picture quality, as he claims the HDMI to HDMI cable from Time Warner was pretty cheap.

11. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Buy the cables from monoprice.com They are considerably less and the cables are just as good as most other "name" brands. No reason to spend that much money on the cables.

12. JPM0016

Well i decided i wanted everything. So i bought a home theatre system with dvd player. It sounded great with the setup at circuit city. My tv is being delivered tomorrow so i can't wait to hook it up.

Panasonic Home Theatre System

The one criticism has been the size of the speaker wire. Some have said it needs to be upgraded to 14 or 16 gauge wire for maximum sound. Any opinions on that? If so, what speaker wire would you recommend?