1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

It's funny you mention Ben Wallace and Elton Brand because those two along with maybe Jermaine O'Neil or Boozer are the only ones I could think of that were even close. These guys are stars. I don't think a lot of Rockets fans appreciate what OT was, but if he were playing today in his prime he would be a top 5 power forward.

Thinking about those players on the same team with Yao really doesn't seem to fit though. Maybe Brand would work, IMO the best PF in the NBA to put next to Yao would be Dirk. He is deadly from outside and is a heck of a rebounder. Marion would be #2 and neither are gonna be playing next to Yao.

Oh and since this thread is about MoT coming to the rockets I might as well say HELL NO!!!

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I cant believe a MoT thread is 3 pages long

3. AggieRocketFan96

???? Even when we had OT people were still looking for PF options? No, I disagree with that generalizing statement. I believe back then we were more interested in getting backcourt help (which ironically netted us Clyde Drexler at the expense of OT). I remember when we made that trade that our PF position instantly became our 1 weakness so much so that we picked up old man Charles Jones to add to Pete Chilcutt and Chucky Brown to get us through the playoffs that year.

As for the bruising PF not working anymore in today's different NBA again I disagree, tell that to Chicago who just dropped megabucks to get Ben Wallace. A guy like that would be the ultimate complement to Yao and current Rockets roster. Too bad they make many like him anymore.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah people were burning up PRODIGY and CompuServ with all 14.4 k of their modems trying to get rid of OT back then.

5. AggieRocketFan96

I don't understand Revisionist Historians like SMUSMU making these kinds of statements that back when the Rockets had OT that people were still clamoring to get a PF. I definently don't remember that happening. When OT was here, I always felt we had 1 of the best PFs in the game. The championship pretty much validated that.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Was just about to post something similar about the game then and now.

The game is radically different from the the days of trying to interpret what constitutes an Illegal D. Today, the rules allow the defense to double Yao without the ball. It's quickness and range that are complimentary to Yao...not "thug" or "rebounding only".

The "perfect" PF IMHO is/was Eddie Griffin without the vices.

Back on topic...no to Mo...the Rox have enough PF's and Mo really isn't an upgrade in any specific area.

7. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

8. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

From today's New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/brown_sics_legal_pit_bull_on_knicks_knicks_marc_berman.htm

Veteran power forward Maurice Taylor will fly from his home in Houston to New York today but realizes his stay may be very brief. Taylor said he and his reps have discussed a buyout the past two weeks and it could be done before Monday's training camp.

"I'm hoping to get something done quick," Taylor told The Post. "[The Knicks] don't have any plans for me. They thought a buyout would be good for me too. It's 50-50."

Taylor's expiring contract has $9 million left and is expiring, meaning he's a definite trade pawn at the deadline.

"All I want is a fair shake, and my reps have talked to other teams," Taylor said. "I'm not in their future plans."

marc.berman@nypost.com

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Beats me. It's gotta be a reaction to talking about Taylor. And your right about availability, anyway. I think we're all suffering from a malaise, purple haze, or something.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Umm, let's what we have for the past few days, threads inquiring MoT, Jalen Rose, and Allan Houston.

What are they in common?

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I was thinking about this earlier today. Obviously the real Eddie Griffin was far from ther perfect compliment to anything, but what Eddie SHOULD have been would have been perfect: A quick weakside shot-blocker who can hit the three.

Before anyone even THINKS, even DARES to bring up the very SPECTER of the possibility of trading for Eddie Griffin... don't.

12. AggieRocketFan96

Uh-Oh, the Poster Police is out!

J/k, yeah you're right, way too many threads out on this type of stuff. But it's to be expected, we have seen any "real" rockets news in a long time.

13. kennyc05

kennyc05 Member

well he is a quicker pf

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

better offence than jho. neither can rebound of defend, although mo is good at taking charges.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I cant believe Taylor has spurned 5 pages of conversation.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You might have meant 'spurned' but probably (???) meant 'spawned'.

JVG spurned Mo. Zeke is reportedly spurning Mo. Most, if not all of the NBA will likely spurn Mo.

17. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Have to give credit where it's due, Mo sounded very mature in his latest interview regarding the buyout situation. After hearing that, I hope he hooks up with a team, just not the Rockets. The Rockets got enough maturity on the roster already, more rebounding and defensive prowess at the 4, on the other hand, would be appreciated. Unfortunately, Mo don't bring those.

18. sparky

sparky Member

I don't quite understand all the Mo T hate. He took charges and could take over a game offensively. He had a good jumper and mix it up on the inside. I don't know why you guys wouldn't want him off your bench for cheap. Any big body off the bench for cheap would be welcome, one who knows the system and can provide some offensive is welcome IMO. Although I would much rather have Cato.

Go ahead and let me have it! :p

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

wouldnt be enough shots out there for Taylor with our present team. When he comes off the bench Mo likes to jack up everything.

plus i've said it before, and i'll say it once more

Taylor, Cato, hell Mike James...been there failed there, why would go back when we could go forward.

20. Chronz

Chronz Member

How about Resigning Taylor?

We do need some frontcourt depth at the 4, and he allready knows the system, should we bother to check him out.