1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OT was not a thug Mister AggieRocketFan96. To lump him with Thug forwards, like the Knicks he helped defeat, is blasphemy of the highest order. OT was pure and played basketball the way it was meant to be played until a thug offered disrespect, and then the vengeance of OT was delivered.

I understand this was probably an accident... 12 Hail Marios will suffice.

2. AggieRocketFan96

Come on RimRocker!!! Hahaha! Believe me, I hold OT on a pedestal of the most respectable players to ever play in the NBA. I am OT's biggest fan and firmly believe he may have been one of the most underrated Rocket player ever.

I'm merely trying to say that adding a PF with the kind of skills OT had (rebounding, defense, enforce mentality, ability to finish in the paint, toughness factor, etc) is more important to this current version of the Rockets than a guy like MoT or some finesse, 3 point only shooting non-rebounding PF (we already have Novak). A guy that can bring the intensity, inside presence if only for a few minutes backing up Battier would be ideal (maybe Chuck Hayes can bring that, but certainly not JHo, Novak, etc) and could really clean the glass after our missed long range bombs.

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Except for the fact they are even more consistent jumpshooters, much better defensive players(that alone proves why we should get them), and btw..PJ is usually 8rpg, and Kurt got 10rpg 2 seasons ago, an injury stopped Kurt last season. Juwan stuck at 7 because Yao was out for a big portion of the season.

If we could get Kurt or PJ our team is set.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

See, how hard was that? You could have said that in the first place but you got lazy and resorted to a sloppy rhetorical device that disaparaged one of the greatest Rockets ever. Like I said, I realize this was an accident... but it was still a sin. Do your penance and all will be forgiven.

#64 rimrocker, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Thomas scored 4.2 ppg < Howard while averaging 1.1 > rpg. Thomas is 6 months older and 20 lbs lighter. Thomas also shot .2% better FG%.

I don't see how he is an OBVIOUS upgrade. He'd be great to have on the bench but if $$$ were equal, he doesn't excite me. I'd say keep the guy that knows the system as his production isn't worth the enduring the learning curve.

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

In that case Stromile is on par with Battier. Stats doesn't play this role here in Kurt and Juwan. Juwan can get us 10/6.5. Kurt can get us 11/8. However, that's not the biggest strength. He's a much more physical presence inside with his tough defense.

7. krosfyah

Jump shooters: All 3 players are within .2% FG%. They are all 3 respectible jump shooters.

Defense: The team has been a top 3 defensive team. Our defense isn't what needs improvement.

Rebounding: Juwan, 7. PJ, 8. No biggy. Kurt's career avg is 7.8. Juwan is 7.2. They are all about the same in that dept.

Be careful about the grass is green syndrome.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

JVG can't stand MT so end of discussion.

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

At this point, I think our offensive needs are more than adequately addressed, with the addition of Battier, sharpshooter Novak, improved Head, newly acquired Snyder, even the bonus VSpan, just to name a few.

Further, both Yao and TMac are more noted for their offensive prowesses than their defensive strengths, relatively speaking of course.

The most dire need, should we seek one, is still a PF who will go all out to do the dirty works for his teammates on the court. Ryan Bowen is not the answer, neither is Juwan. Hayes is good at grabbing rebounds, but whether he can also play tough D without getting into foul trouble too often and too early remains to be seen. Plus, we know JVG has the penchant of picking players based more on their likeabilities (to JVG) than their capabilities.

Mo T is exactly the opposite type of player we should be looking for.

Case closed.

10. krosfyah

I disagree.

Battier is a career 10ppg guy.
    Novak, Snyder and VSpan are all promising but unknown quantities. Snyder and VSpan aren't great 3-ball shooters.

Then why are we always near the bottom of the league in PPG? Why? They need help.

Hayes, Battier, VSpan and Snyder are all dirty work kind of guys.

Agreed.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I agree totally and have said we need a player like OT for some time now. My problem and in fact the problem in the NBA right now is there aren't any of these players around. Give me a list of players with these skills "rebounding, defense, enforce mentality, ability to finish in the paint, toughness factor, etc", then maybe we can start crossing them off based on whether or not we have even a slight chance at getting one of em.

The list will be short or nothing, they don't exist.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is this thread about the possible return of Moe "the Rockets are so stupid they gave me a big contract" Taylor? The one and only Moe "I've smoked so much dope my neurons don't work" Taylor? The Moe "I'm so lazy that I make Joe Barry Carroll look like a workout junkie" Taylor? Forget about it!

13. AggieRocketFan96

You are correct, I too don't believe there are many players that fit the enforcer type, intimidating, bruising power forward mold. Guys like Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Elton Brand are so few and locked up. But I do know this...I'll take a guy like Kelvin Cato over JHo and MoT anyday, hell I'd rather pull OT or Maurice Lucas and Mychal Thompson out of retirement over those 2 softies! Or even Larry Mr Mean Smith! Let's face it, with Yao's only backup being the aging Mutombo, getting a bruiser (any of them in the NBDL or international leagues like that Baby Shaq from Greece types?) would be a good fit for the Rox.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Kurt vs Juwon.
    Jumpshooting is basically equal between players, but Kurt has a better overall offensive game.

Our defense has been good, but just because you have something good doesn't mean you throw away a chance to improve.

Rebounding...Come on. Juwan is playing starter minutes and barely scratches 7.2. Kurt grabbed 7.8 rebounds in 5 minutes less last season.

Kurt also plays center.

Not that I always play the grass is greener, but Howard is just mud at this point in his career. Howard's saving grace the past couple of years was that he was a power forward that knew where he was suppose to be on defense. I'd rather the Rockets go to war with their current PFs except that I would like to see a third string PF that could play C.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Dear God, could you please let us skip October for this year? Opening night seems so far away and these "lets-pick-up-garbage-player-foo" threads are driving us nuts.

Thanks,
    JeopardE

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The guys I listed aren't the most potent offensive players you can find in NBA, but collectively they are certainly a much better improvement over the ones we had last season, and even the roster in '04-'05, when Sura, Barry, Wesley and Co. were closer to running on fumes and playing over their heads.

They can be, depending on how they are played. Other than Hayes, I don't see how the other three are going to be put on court by JVG for the sole purpose of lessening the defensive burdens on Yao and TMac night in and night out.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Doesn't Thomas have 4 years and $30 million left on his contract, and is about 34 already? What was his injury last season? Seems like he would be a bad move considering what he costs, and his age.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Please. There is a huge comparison between the two. Thomas would make this team an instant contender with his defensive toughness. He is a descent shot blocker which Howard is completely inept at and he's much stronger. In a full season 04-05, he averaged a double double. And as far as a learning curve goes, JVG would kill to have him back on his team again.

19. SMUSMU

SMUSMU Member

I'm sorry for disturbing the board. It's just funny how when we had OT, people were still looking for PF options. This is a different NBA, and that bruising PF doesn't work anymore.

I just thought he would be a pretty inexpensive PF option, plus I have always enjoyed his game. I am huge Rockets Fan, and I like the roster right now. But if we could add another player at no cost to the team, I don't see how it could hurt.

20. krosfyah

Kurk doesn't make us a contender. Sorry.

Let see, they are the same age.
    Kurk is a career 10ppg/7rpg guy.
    Juwan is career 17/7 guy.

Historically, Juwan is marginally better on offense.
    Kurk is better marginally better on defense.

Rebounding. SLIGHT edge to Kurk. Kurk's per 40 looks better on paper.

Why are we spending so much time discussing Kurk? Is he even available?