1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Bud, let's Maarty !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 31, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I trust Morey too, and guys, I am not saying a starter, but like the 9th or 10th man, a PF that we can go to that can play the high post, and hit the 3 ball.

A backup....someone that you pay the league minimum too....or you use him as a trade asset.

And I too, trust Morey.....just wanted to have some fun with a BBall discussion of players the Rockets could actually attain instead of all the Bosh stuff floating around these days, which is a player that will be very hard to attain.

DD

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's not really what I was implying, though most of the analysis, objective as it may be, just points to him being too small.

I guess I won't expect much from him.

3. OvenproofBadger

Outscoring folks works everytime if u ask me

4. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

lmao!

Seemingly every time, anyhow!

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Rockets article on him when he was drafted

Maarty's Mission
    Second round pick earning raves for strong play

A popular figure in Oregon, Leunen is now starting to make waves in NBA circles, too.

When the Houston Rockets selected Maarty Leunen with the 54th pick in this year’s draft, the team’s plan for the Oregon forward seemed simple enough: Give him some playing time during summer league, then send him to Europe for additional seasoning overseas.

But you know what they say about the best laid-plans. Since arriving in Las Vegas, Leunen has made one play after another, while doing all the little things which have warmed the hearts of basketball coaches dating back to the days of Dr. Naismith. He’s hit big shots, battled for loose balls, and shown a knack for the game not typically associated with a kid who was raised on an Oregon dairy farm. As a result, the Rockets’ seemingly straightforward draft day plan isn’t looking quite so simple anymore. But while this development may come as a mild shock to those who had never heard of Leunen before he joined the team, the principals involved don’t appear to find it the least bit amazing.

“I don’t think he’s surprised us at all,” says Dean Cooper, the Rockets’ Vice President of Player Personnel. “I think we did a lot of work on him to be quite honest with you. We were shocked that he made it to pick 54. He’s just a good player. For four years at Oregon, he was a very solid player. He’s got a high basketball IQ, and is an intelligent kid who can play inside and out, and that’s the way the league is going – with the fours especially. So he certainly fits that mold.”

Speaking of fit, Leunen attributes much if his early success to the fact that his skill set meshes quite well with the Rockets’ style of play.

“I feel like I’ve got a good grasp of the system,” says Leunen. “And I love the system just because I’m more of a pick-and-pop type of player. My game’s not too special. I just hit open jump shots, make the hustle plays, get a few rebounds here and there, and that’s what I’ve been doing my whole life.”

Leunen’s transition has also been made easier due to his reunion with former Oregon teammate Aaron Brooks.

“A lot of things are just kind of like déjà vu all over again,” Leunen says. “Like when he [Brooks] drives and kicks, or when he goes backdoor and I find him. It’s kinda cool just to re-live that chemistry that we had at Oregon.”

Still, despite Leunen’s strong play, the 22 year old from Redmond faces long odds to make the Rockets’ regular season roster.

“With him, it’s just a situation of where is he at, and how can he fit,” says Cooper. “Can he fit now? Because we have Luis [Scola], Chuck [Hayes], and hopefully we’ll retain Carl [Landry] and Steve Novak, too. I know that’s a lot of guys at that position, so we might not be able to get him right now, but we’ve had other guys who have been in that position – Chuck Hayes and Mike Harris – who we weren’t able to keep right away, but we eventually brought them back.

“A lot of it’s going to depend on how free agency plays out. If you’re asking if he’s an NBA player, can he play in the NBA, I’d say, boy, no question. It’s just can he do it right now given our roster situation. Like I said, much the same as Chuck and Mike, as much we wanted to have those guys on our roster to start the year, it didn’t happen. There’s always a possibility. And it’s actually a little bit easier because he’s our property, whereas Chuck and Mike were free agents. Either way, he’s going to end up in a good place, whether it’s with the Rockets or in a European situation at a high level.”

For his part, Leunen just holds firm and stays true to the mantra of summer leaguers everywhere.

“My goal is to play in the NBA, so I know that every opportunity I get to showcase my talent and what I bring to the table, I’ve got to take full advantage of it. And whatever happens, it’s kind of in their hands. And it’s in my hands to do what I can do and play well, and make the decision difficult for them.”

Mission accomplished.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Or the Chronicle article about him

Leunen showing potential at summer league
    The Rockets are pleased with forward Maarty Leunen, who developed positively playing in Turkey
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    July 10, 2009, 11:57PM

Complete Rockets coverage
    LAS VEGAS — The Rockets liked what they saw a year ago, and have been even more encouraged since.

Maarty Leunen showed potential to work his way onto their roster as a summer league rookie last season, and seems to have become a stronger, more polished player after one season competing in Turkey.

Leunen, a 6-9 forward, had shown so much that Rockets general manager Daryl Morey reported that Leunen will almost assuredly not be invited to Rockets training camp next season.

This — in the way of NBA prospects — is a sign he is in the Rockets' plans, with the hopes that with another season of overseas seasoning he could make a roster and contribute, rather than just serve as a training camp sparring partner for the veterans before getting released.

“I'm pretty happy with the development of Maarty,” Morey said. “It looks like he's got a good situation in Europe (an offer from NGC Cantu in the top Italian League). We like to develop guys on a progression. He'll be at the highest level of basketball outside the NBA, pretty much. If he has a good year, it will bode well for where things go for him. The Italian League will be one step higher, and if he plays well there, it will make the transition that much easier.”

Leunen, 23, did not want to rule out joining the Rockets ahead of schedule. But the Rockets thought enough of his chances to not want him in training camp unless he is more likely to earn a roster spot, hoping to keep their rights to him.

“I'll see what the best situation is, see how strongly Houston feels about me,” Leunen said. “If it's not this year, I think this team really likes me, likes what I can do. I'm willing to be patient for when the time is right for them.”

In a tournament filled with rookies, Leunen was one of the players who looked like a professional Friday. He made four of his seven shots and grabbed seven rebounds. In a game in which the Rockets had more turnovers (28) than field goals (24), but beat the Warriors 73-69 to open summer league play, he was solid while showing areas in which he improved.

Taken at No. 54
    He averaged 12.1 points and 6.2 rebounds with Darussafaka C Tires Istanbul last season, his first professionally after he was chosen with the 54th pick of the 2008 draft out of Oregon. He exceeded expectations with his play in last season's summer league and returned polished and confident.

“He was a pleasant surprise to us last year, the way he played,” Rockets assistant coach T.R. Dunn said. “His first year out of college, he played a power spot. In our league, he's matched up with bigger guys. A year overseas was good for him. He got good competition. He looks like he matured. And he still can stroke it.”

The more telling sign of his growth came when he did not stroke an open outside shot. Late in the first half, the ball found him at the top of the key. But with a move he would not have considered last season, Leunen put the ball on the floor, sliced through the Warriors' defense, and put in his layup through a Quan Prowell foul.

“Last year, I would never do that because I wasn't confident enough in my ability,” Leunen said. “Working a lot on that really helped me. I improved my game, like one- and two-dribble shots. Last year, I was more catch and shoot. This year, I want to show that.

Gaining confidence
    “I think just playing at that level, you gain confidence. A year overseas, really helped me. I understand my role. If I'm going to play in the NBA, that's what I'm going to have to be, just a solid player that can knock down shots, get my teammates involved, make good passes and defend. I'm not trying to be something I'm not. I understand my limitations athletically. I have to do what I'm good at. If that takes me to the next level, that would be great.”

By next level, he meant the NBA. There likely will be a stop between Turkey and Houston, but he seemed headed in that direction.

DD

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No, not yet, I am merely speculating that maybe his time has arrived for the team.

With them being over the cap, they may want some lower cost alternatives to fill out the roster, and Luenan may qualify.

At the very least he seems like a potential NBA player.....probably the 2nd best prospect outside of Llull that we have the rights to...IMO.

Judging by the 1 star rating, I would think many do not share my thoughts......but hey, it is not a popularity contest...it is basketball.

DD

9. Mr. Clutch

Maybe a younger replacement for David Andersen.

I still think the Rockets need an athletic shotblocker at the 4. Perhaps Udoh or Whiteside.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I totally agree.....I am just thinking they may want to bring Luenan over......Andersen's deal may stop that, they owe him another guaranteed year, but Andersen is so unathletic, that I kind of hope he wants to go back to Europe...

DD

11. Mr. Clutch

He should definitely play in the summer league, and we'll get a chance to see how he's improved. I wonder if they can put off the Andersen signing until we get a better look at Maarty.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Andersen has one more guaranteed year, and then a team option for year 3........I think we are stuck with him unless he wants to go back to Europe and we can do a Zero dollar buyout.

Luenan moves much better than Andersen on both ends of the court.

Got to love how a discussion on the Rockets and a player they control gets a quality thread rating of 1 star....lol...

The GARM.....where amazing happens....maybe I should have just started another....Hey, Let's get Chris Bosh thread.....hehe.

DD

13. Houston_Rockets

Nawww man, Andersen expiring contract will be a peace in any trade we will do, hopefully in the off-season

Luenan will certainly be in the summer league

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I doubt we do any significant trade in the offseason, maybe one at the deadline once the team knows what Yao's status is or isn't...

But to me, all the Max players stuff, is a pipe dream.

I hope, but I don't believe.

DD

15. Houston_Rockets

I hope 2, and I don´t believe 2, but what i believe is that DM will do/try to do "under the radar" trade(s), and we all know that cheap expiring contracts are necessary to equal the salaries

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes true, but the expiring contracts are not that great in the offseason, but moreso at the trade deadline for teams that have given up and want to rebuild.

No one is doing that in the summer.

DD

17. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I love Marty, I think it is worth a shot.

I still want to see Eliaaawhoooo here too one day...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pc9wpTuwaY8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pc9wpTuwaY8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Classsic stuff!!!

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

It's cool enough, giving us a little something else to talk about.

Is it July yet?

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why spend any time worrying a 9th or 10th man, a maybe (at best) rotationalist?

Let's worry about a Top 9 or 10 NBA proven player getting to home at The Toy Shop.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Because it is important to build a quality varied roster.

One that allows Adelman to matchup with just about any team, a flexible one that gives the team many different options.

Sometimes, the 10 guy wins a game or two for you......

DD