1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heroes - TV Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Sorry if any of this has already been posted- haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Pretty interesting parallels between the show and recent history, but it certainly isn't subtle.

- Trying to use a 'terrorist attack' on New York as a rallying point for uniting the people (conspiracy theorists might even argue that the attack to rally the people was planned by the government).

- then having it basically fail when the power-hungry government creates a climate of extreme fear in order to control the people (even to the point of having homeland security be the bad guys in the future).

- Plus, it seems pretty obvious that Micah's role is that he's supposed to manipulate voting machines in order to 'steal' the victory in the election for Nathan, which conspiracy theorists would argue has already happened (multiple times?).

And I disagree that this episode somehow makes Sylar a less worthy villain. If anything, I think it made his character that much more interesting. It wouldn't be better if he was just pure evil for no real reason- the show is trying to have more depth to the characters than that. The characters in the show aren't just black and white, and that's kind of the whole point of all of it.

I don't think the best villains are evil 'just because they are'.. I think that's just lazy, especially for human villains in a character-driven story like this. There's always an explanation, and just being bat*** crazy is a pretty weak one, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, even the story of god vs. satan has more motive than just 'Satan is bat**** crazy' or 'Satan is pure evil for no reason'.

And if you really want bat**** insane, how about finger painting a nuclear explosion destroying New York on the floor in your dead mother's blood while talking to your dead mother (whom you just killed) about becoming president?

Sylar saw himself possibly blowing up New York, and wanted to stop it- he felt bad about killing so many innocent people. His call to Mohinder and the visit to his mother were his last attempts to save what little humanity he had left. His encounter with his mother showed some of the origins of his character, and also generated the event that seems to have finally pushed him past the point of no return. I thought it was pretty good. Sure, it wasn't as action-packed as last week's episode, but the development of the characters in episodes like this week's is what gives episodes like last week's more power when they do happen.

I did think the Mohinder as cure for the little girl was a bit overly sappy though. And it seems like stupid Mohinder got conned again- he just gave the agency their new tracking system that doesn't rely on isotopes. I don't see how that girl is supposed to stop Sylar- knowing where he is won't help much if he's basically invincible. I guess they could have the hatian dude go to where Sylar is and then it would be easy enough to kill him.

As an aside, I guess the basic mission of Bennett, Ted and Matt in destroying the tracking system was to kill that girl, huh? I'd be surprised if Bennett knew the details of the new 'tracking system' when he set out to destroy it. Seems like he was kept in the dark on a lot of things. She's the cerebrus of heroes, I guess.

Anyway, I thought it was a good episode. How many are left? 2?

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Eric Roberts is pretty bold in saying that Molly is the only one that can stop Sylar. She can only track him right? Someone else still has to kill him unless there is something we don't know about. Maybe it was just in there to entice us viewers just like the whole Hiro/Sylar confrontation.

3. BiGGieStuFF

It doesn't make Sylar any less crazy but he all of a sudden doesn't seem as terrifying knowing that he's shown a slight weakness, but it IS scary now that basically his weakness, his mother, is dead so nothing will hold him back from all out carnage. If there was a chink in his psychological armor it's basically gone.

I'm sure Bennett knew about Molly since her rescue was basically public when Parkman saved her so the details her powers I'm sure were known to him. He seemed in the dark about who his employer and what their primary agenda really was.

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

It's samurai DD :rolleyes: and yeah, I think F_hiro explanied to ando that he trained in the past

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

F'n Tivo didnt record Heroes... :mad:

I have to wait until Friday for the rerun on SciFi...f'n sucks...

6. BiGGieStuFF

Or download it or watch it on NBC.com

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree about Sylar, I think the episode rounded out the character and kept him from just being a "bad" guy. He had reservations about mass murder and he was looking for a way to rationalize going back to a normal life, wouldn't have happened one way or another.

Decent episode, not the best but OK

8. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I loved the Sylar characterization. That was probably his finest scene in the series.

Agree that this episode wasn't quite as ass-kicking-ness as last week's, but how could it be?

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I like the show because it keeps you guessing, and Sylar is a very bad man.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

New comic up on NBC's site

11. BiGGieStuFF

Thanks. I'm just wondering how Nikki survived but Jessica didn't.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Finally watched it and liked it...Wasn't action packed, but I loved the Sylar aspect, showing he's human and had regret, until his mother died...

I agree about Micah rigging the election...Hiro finally had some ballz and seems to be controling his power...Peter absorbing Ted's power is cool...but wouldn't he have to learn to control it? Maybe he can't and that is why he blows up...Nathan knows this has to happen and is willing to sacrifice his brother...

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

After a week away, I finally just watched the previous episode.

I must be slow, I didn't realize that would be Micah's role, makes sense now though. And I like the insight into Sylar's personality. From his mother to his fears that he will kill many people makes him more human. Which makes it even more frightening when he starts painting in blood and seemingly decides to follow his fate.

Anyways, I thought this was another great episode. Not much action but lots of little developments that kept you guessing. I still feel sleepy whenever Nikki makes an appearance and the Mohinder thing was a little sappy and drawn out this episode.

BTW, is it confirmed that Primatech is under Linderman or is this still ambiguous?

Anyways, it looks like Sylar will make an attempt on Nathan's life after the election results and Hiro will save him.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

For those of you worried about Heros withdrawl, good news for the summer:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/tv-nbc.php

One big surprise came in the form of "Heroes: Origins", a six-episode limited series exploring unseen characters from the hit show that will air during the hiatus. A viewer poll will see the most popular character from it be incorporated into the series next season which will remain in the same timeslot.

15. BiGGieStuFF

It's on and damn Sylar has found them all!

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

LMFAO

Mikah: I have a cousin who eats like you, he's huge.

Candice: Really, me too.

Figures she'd be constantly using her power to make herself look hot.

17. BiGGieStuFF

Man I hate sylar. I will cheer when he dies. That guy is just evil!!

18. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Man, another unbelievable episode. I was kept on the edge of my seat the whole time. Damnit DL!

19. BiGGieStuFF

awesome episode. Some unexpected things happened too. Kind of violent as well.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No doubt, how many people died tonight?

At least 4.

Linderman
    DA
    Ted
    HRG - boss

DD