1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Herniated Disc

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Oct 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Felt some mild discomfort in lower back about a week and a half ago. Long story short, it progressively got worse and excruciating. It was eventually accompanied by some leg pain in my hamstring area in my right leg. Thought at first it was a muscle strain. Anyway, went to the doc and got diagnosed. Bulged disc and sciatica. Not sure when or how this happened.

Not too big of an issue. Just not supposed to be bending down, lifting heavy objects, making sudden movements from side-to-side or laterally, etc. Anyway. Just looking for some advice from anyone who has dealt with it.

Doc gave me a shot and two weeks worth of muscle relaxers/anti-inflammatory, and said we'll go from there. Also gave me some home exercises.

I guess my biggest question is if it is relatively safe to continue doing some mild lifting or recreational sporting activities (will it inhibit healing or make it worse)?

My job requires some lifting of heavy boxes from time to time. It tends to be incredibly painful, but I am able to take some pain pills to take the edge off and allow me to get through.

Go Rockets!

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Yes, you should do some mild exercising and work your way up as you feel better. You'll always have to mind your herniated disc and be aware of how you pick things up.

Shots are OK, I had them from my first doc, however, that is only a temporary pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. I later had a second opinion on my back when the shots wore off and the new doctor scoffed at defaulting to the shots. He prescribed physical therapy (massage) and plenty of exercise.

I don't know what kind of physical shape you're in, but I had been sitting behind a desk for several years wasting away. I found the longer term fix for my disc was getting back into physical fitness. Biking, running, and lifting again really seemed to stabilize things. That second doctor knew what he was talking about.

I've fallen into bad habits again with no exercise and at times I re-aggrivate that disc with violent sneezes or coughing sometimes in an awkward position. It's a pain the ass (back?). Now I'm picking up running again as my knees allow it. Having your body in shape so you're back isnt overworked should be aa big help.

And don't forget to practice good posture when sitting for prolonged periods of time.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I've had 3 herniated discs in my back for almost 3 years now.

The key is to watch your form very very carefully from here on out. Avoid squats, deadlifts, that kind of lifting. Make your you to train your core. When I did programs like P90x etc, I had no back pain at all (well soreness maybe from standing/sitting too long).

Recreationally I used to play basketball back when I was more fit, but I stopped recently because of other issues not related to the discs. Don't play any contact sports like football.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I had a back issue that sent pain down my leg too.

Running helped, but lifting weights made it worse

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

do you lift weights?
    leg press, deadlifts, squats...and some of the upper body exercises can cause it..or if you were predisposed to it...made it worse.

mine happened doing leg press.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Same here. Stupid leg press

7. roxxfan

I don't do it regularly and I haven't lifted recently. About two years ago, some stupid circumstance led me to jumping about 10 feet off a roof and landing straight on my legs. This resulted in a fractured foot (I am a bigger guy). Could this be a cause for this??

8. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I've had some lower back issues for a while but nothing too serious.

Also due to Leg Press & Dead Lift... Watch your form kids. And on Leg Press don't get too cocky.

9. roxxfan

Thanks bro. I really need to get back into shape and I guess this "rehab" period will be a good jump start. The shot was just a single one and the meds will be the course of action for the remainder of this period. The doc said if the pain does not improve over two weeks, then he will send me for imaging and PT.

10. roxxfan

I definitely enjoy playing bball. I guess my body will tell me what I can and cannot handle. I feel for you man. 3 discs. Crazy.

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

For me, doing core exercises regularly helps quite a bit. If I get lazy about it, the back pain gets worse. 25 years in. Good luck, and always hire movers and never take pain killers for it unless the pain prevents you from being able to walk.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Follow your doctor's orders.

13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4BOTvaRaDjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Once a day, 15 min. Also do things to elongate (stretch out, inversion, etc.) the spine as much as possible.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This!

Unless... someone on the internet tells you otherwise. In that case, ignore your doctor and follow the internet person.

1 person likes this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

Do not do any lifting, running, jumping, ect...for awhile. Take it easy for a few weeks.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Unless they suck.

He should get a second and third opinion...also see a PT now to get his posture assessed in case any quick corrections can be made, even if it's just advice as to how to move better. He's basically using his lower spine to do what the hips should.

Here's some quick words on the subject by Eric Cressey, a well respected name in training/PT.
    http://www.ericcressey.com/tag/disc-herniation

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck, OP. I had one of those several years ago, went through every kind of PT imaginable and injections, multiple times, and finally had disc fusion surgery. While it cured the sciatica, I've been in chronic pain ever since. Severe chronic pain. Sometimes I have to use a cane. What was ironic to me is that the reason I let myself get talked into the surgery was to enable me to do physical stuff with our two kids (now young adults - one out of college, one still in). The result was an abject failure.

As RV6 suggested, get a 2nd, even a 3rd opinion and again, good luck!

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

#18 RV6, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

RV6 are you a PT or something of the like yourself?

You always have really good info on this sort of stuff and are very knowledgable about musculoskeletal related topics in general.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

leg press is probably the most dangerous exercise as far as your lower back is concerned.

you don't realize how much your lower back is curving...and add the fact that most people get cocky and do wayyy more than they should be.